PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone. ....

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2016, 12:13 AM
A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I spent 3 days touring Yellowstone National Park and Teton National Park. The signs very plainly warn people to stay on the boardwalks. The tour guides more than once warned not only their customers but others to stay on the boardwalks and at least 25 yards from the animals. The rangers have stopped their search for the body of a 23 year old Portland man who walked 225 yards off the boardwalk at Norris Hot Springs, breaking through the crust and falling into the hottest acidic spring in the park. They found a few articles.

Rich Riddle
06-09-2016, 12:20 AM
Ken,

There are very idiotic people who visit parks. Didn't they just have to euthanize a bison because someone wanted to turn the young bison into a pet? And there was a family that didn't watch their child get into a gorilla pit in Cincinnati after the child repeatedly told the parent his intentions? That one also ended with an animal being destroyed. Many people chase the "Darwin" awards.

Lee Schierer
06-09-2016, 7:46 AM
We talked with a ranger while we were in Yellowstone and he had some really wild stories about what some visitors try to do around the wild animals, including one guy that tried to put one of his kids on the back of a Bison for a photo. We witnessed people walking right by signs warning that Bison were dangerous to get a close up of a Bison with their cell phones and tablets.

Curt Harms
06-09-2016, 7:57 AM
Remarkable area. I didn't know what the thin parallel lines on road maps meant. I learned (dirt road). The thing I remember best seemed pretty unremarkable. There was a small stream running alongside the road. I'd guess the water temperature was around 50o. Walk downstream about 100 feet and the water temperature was about 120o. There was no sign of any spring or vent between the cooler water and the warm (there obviously was).

Life is gonna be 'interesting' when that puppy blows again - and it's about due in geological time. From Yellowstonepark.com:

Yellowstone Supervolcano

The term “supervolcano” implies an eruption of magnitude 8 on the Volcano Explosivity Index, indicating an eruption of more than 1,000 cubic kilometers (250 cubic miles) of magma. Yellowstone has had at least three such eruptions: The three eruptions, 2.1 million years ago, 1.2 million years ago and 640,000 years ago, were about 6,000, 700 and 2,500 times larger than the May 18, 1980 eruption of Mt. St. Helens in Washington State.

Robert Delhommer Sr
06-09-2016, 8:09 AM
"You can't fix stupid"

Prashun Patel
06-09-2016, 8:14 AM
Ken, how was the trip?

My sister's visiting this summer. This past winter Nat Geo had a wonderful issue about Yellowstone. Check it out.

Also, there was a fantastic podcast about a particular wolf in Yellowstone that almost made me cry.

http://snapjudgment.org/06-female

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2016, 9:03 AM
Prashun,

It was a good trip. It always is.

15 years ago or so we took our first guided tour of Glacier National Park with my wife's parents. Previously, when we toured, I drove and kept my eyes on the road. My wife kept her eyes on me to insure I kept my eyes on the road. Neither of us saw much. With a tour guide, you learn so much about the plants, animals and history plus you can look at the scenery.

Our latest trip, we took 3 guided tours, the North Yellowstone loop, the South Yellowstone loop and the Teton National Park tour. Each tour is 1 day long. They really aren't that expensive, less than $100/person and that includes a really good sack lunch. It's usually in a 14 or 16 person tour van.

With this last trip, we have been on all the winter tours and the summer public tours. I don't know that we'll go back as we have other parks and parts of the country we want to see.

We caught the park before the public schools got out for the summer. They did get out while we were there and the increase in traffic through the park and in the parking lots was incredibly noticeable from Monday to Thursday.

We saw all the wildlife you would expect to see except moose. We watched bison, black bear, a sow grizzly with twin 1 year old cubs, elk, deer, coyotes and at a distance, even saw a wolf kill a marmot. The guide said it's extremely unusual to see a wolf as they are very reclusive. Interestingly at Mamouth Hot Springs, we saw a large bull snake curled under a tree next to the boardwalk. You would not expect to see snakes at that elevation as they won't survive the winter. Discussing it with the guide we decided the warmth of the ground due to the closeness of the hot springs to the surface of the earth might support the snake's survival of the winter.

The winter tours are pretty special. You generally see more wildlife (except that which hibernates) because the deep snow drives the animals down to the roads. You can't see all of the park in the winter because they close some of the roads. You are limited to travel by "tracked devices". The tour vans they use in the summer get converted. The 4WD vans get tracks mounted in place of wheels and the 2WD vans get skis on the front and tracks on the drive axle.

In the winter, the hot springs close to the surface will keep the snow melted back and you will see bison lying on the warmed bare ground with several feet of snow just a few yards away.

Rich Riddle
06-09-2016, 9:07 AM
Ken,

In a few more years you will be able to tell your grandchildren you remember a time prior to when the glaciers melted. Then they will think you are really old. The wife is thinking of Glacier this summer (that's just when she gets vacation). Does it have noticeably fewer visitors than Yellowstone in the summer?

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2016, 9:13 AM
Life is gonna be 'interesting' when that puppy blows again - and it's about due in geological time. From Yellowstonepark.com:

Yellowstone Supervolcano

The term “supervolcano” implies an eruption of magnitude 8 on the Volcano Explosivity Index, indicating an eruption of more than 1,000 cubic kilometers (250 cubic miles) of magma. Yellowstone has had at least three such eruptions: The three eruptions, 2.1 million years ago, 1.2 million years ago and 640,000 years ago, were about 6,000, 700 and 2,500 times larger than the May 18, 1980 eruption of Mt. St. Helens in Washington State.

Curt.....we live about 300 air miles from Yellowstone. If she blows again in my life time, it won't matter. We will be collateral damage.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2016, 9:23 AM
Ken,

In a few more years you will be able to tell your grandchildren you remember a time prior to when the glaciers melted. Then they will think you are really old. The wife is thinking of Glacier this summer (that's just when she gets vacation). Does it have noticeably fewer visitors than Yellowstone in the summer?

It does get fewer visitors. According to our guide, Yellowstone had 4 million visitors last year and this year they are expecting 6 million.

If you go to Glacier and are interested, book a tour with the company that uses the old 1930's "White" red tour vans. (IIRC, White is the company name like GMC or Ford) The tour buses were made in the 1930's IIRC. They have canvas tops that everybody wants rolled back. They take you over Logan Pass to a chalet on the east side of the park for lunch and then return. The tour buses have suicide doors but what is really neat about them is if you want to shoot photographs (and most people do)with the canvas top rolled back, you can stand up through the roof of the van to shoot photos with no glass window to effect the photo. We used this company and the old buses when we went there with my ILs. They couldn't easily get parts to keep them in good repair so they went to new tour vans. The new vans weren't nearly as popular with the customers. They found a company to make custom parts and they returned to using the red 1930's buses.

Here's a link Rich: http://www.glaciernationalparklodges.com/red-bus-tours

I would plan on going sometime after June...say mid-July. Often if they have normal snowfall, Logan Pass on "Going To The Sun Highway" won't get plowed open until July. My FIL and MIL drove out to visit us and see Glacier 5 times. They couldn't see that road and pass as it wasn't plowed open yet. Finally, the time we scheduled our trip it plowed open on July 2 IIRC. We drove over and stayed at the motel in the park at the west end of Lake MacDonald. It's modest, built in the early 1900's but it quaint and enjoyable. It's more reasonable than the lodge built in the middle of the lake!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2016, 9:30 AM
Ken,

Rich, in 2007, our youngest son and his wife hiked into to the Franz Josef Glacier in New Zealand. 2 years ago with a guide, 8 other people, my wife and I hiked in to Franz Josef Glacier. Comparing photos between our son's and my photos, it's amazing how rapid that glacier is receding. The guide said it's estimated at the current rate, in 40 years it will no longer exist.

Wade Lippman
06-09-2016, 10:34 AM
30 years ago I was in Denali. There were dall sheep about 1000' up a hillside. I went up to their height and then slowly moved to them; first a few feet at a time, but at the end a couple inches every couple minutes. I got within 10' of a group of them. A little lamb laid down right in front of an old ram; spectacular picture. Just as I as about take it, a ranger screamed up that I should stop harassing the sheep. They got spooked and scattered.
So, they didn't care at all about me, but were very disturbed by her. Which of us was harassing the sheep?

Mark Blatter
06-09-2016, 10:37 AM
Remarkable area. I didn't know what the thin parallel lines on road maps meant. I learned (dirt road). The thing I remember best seemed pretty unremarkable. There was a small stream running alongside the road. I'd guess the water temperature was around 50o. Walk downstream about 100 feet and the water temperature was about 120o. There was no sign of any spring or vent between the cooler water and the warm (there obviously was).

Years ago I worked the summers in Yellowstone Park. I had a number of customers to call on and set up service for, so starting in April I was in the park every couple of weeks, then as summer approached was there more often. I know of one stream that went under the main loop road where the temp was about 105 degrees. I would take advantage of my trip and stop to soak my feet in the stream. In April and May you can get away with that as there are so few people in the park.

One of my customer's husband worked the park during the summer months, his 'off season' as he owned a snow mobile rental business. During the summer of 1988, when all the fires were raging, he was able to make his normal rounds driving a milk delivery truck. Those working the fires had to eat and drink too. He would stop on his way out of the park, in the closed off areas, to fish on the various rivers. He said it was the best time since he was the only there fishing. No body else to worry about. Then the rangers spotted him and told him to knock it off. He could come and go with his deliveries, but no fishing. Spoil sports.

Yellowstone is a truly unique area and I still love to visit. If you haven't been there, you should stop and see Quake Lake which is about 30 minutes outside the park. Fascinating story about how it formed in 1959.

Michael Weber
06-09-2016, 11:15 AM
We were fortunate to stay a few days at the historic Yellowstone lodge a couple of years ago. I had a buffalo steak in the restaurant there. Ken, from there we drove the road between Lewiston and Missoula on the way to my daughters. That is one AWESOME road. Been wanting to include it in a long wanted motorcycle tour of the western states.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Mike, when I got out of the Navy, I took a job and ended up in Bend, OR. for 20 months until I got promoted to management. My In-laws came out to visit us in Bend, and then drove to Dayton, WA to visit some Army friends they had been with in Texas during WWII. The friends advised them to drive the 200 mile drive on US-12 from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT as it was the prettiest drive in the country. Later I got promoted to management in Chicago. Hated it with a passion, stepped down and requested a transfer back to the NW. 2 1/2 years after I put in my request, a competitor offered me a management position in Casper, Wy and magically, after 2 1/2 of years of "Sorry no positions open out there" my employer found a position for me in Lewiston. We moved here in 1982. I have made that 200 mile drive dozens of times. It never, never gets uninteresting. There is beauty there winter and summer.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2016, 11:57 AM
Another hidden gem in Idaho just outside West Yellowstone, MT is Mesa Falls.

Michael Weber
06-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Mike, when I got out of the Navy, I took a job and ended up in Bend, OR. for 20 months until I got promoted to management. My In-laws came out to visit us in Bend, and then drove to Dayton, WA to visit some Army friends they had been with in Texas during WWII. The friends advised them to drive the 200 mile drive on US-12 from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT as it was the prettiest drive in the country. Later I got promoted to management in Chicago. Hated it with a passion, stepped down and requested a transfer back to the NW. 2 1/2 years after I put in my request, a competitor offered me a management position in Cody, Wy and magically, after 2 1/2 of years of "Sorry no positions open out there" my employer found a position for me in Lewiston. We moved here in 1982. I have made that 200 mile drive dozens of times. It never, never gets uninteresting. There is beauty there winter and summer.the whole area is beautiful. I wanted to do that road on my bike because of the many curves. Nothing like curves on a motorcycle but doesn't leave room for sight seeing. Solution is to stop frequently. If I get to do it I'll have to put on my auxiliary fuel tank. BTW still a no go on the CI after 3 years. I'm taking part in a study at the clinic that lasts 4 weeks starting in a few days and then will have a new AB implementation of the eSRT ( electrical stapedial reflex threshold) test in July. Not sure what the new implementation is but evidently involved quite a bit of research by AB.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Mike, I don't know how long it's been since you traveled US-12 but in the last few years, they have added a lot of paved areas to pull off the road.

Sorry to hear about your hearing and CI problems. I can appreciate them.

I began having some problems 2 weeks ago. With a diagnosis of Meniere's disease, my hearing fluctuates. Two weeks ago I developed some distortion in my CI hearing. Then I began having minor vertigo attacks. I have taken medicine for over 15 years to hold off the vertigo attacks and I take it every morning. I have a spare sound processor and swapped it out with no effect on my hearing. I was supposed to drive to California to join my wife next Tuesday but with the sudden intermittent vertigo attacks, I didn't want to become a highway fatality statistic so my wife is flying home on Saturday. In the mean time, I managed to get an appointment to have my CI tested and get remapped on Wednesday. My wife and I will depart for California from my appointment in Spokane. 3 of our grandkids go to a Montessori school and it will be out for several weeks before starting their summer program. We are going to babysit there for 1 week and then bring the twin 6 year old granddaughters home with us for 2 weeks. Their Mommy and little brother will drive up a week later, join us for a week and then return home with the kids.

Malcolm Schweizer
06-09-2016, 12:31 PM
I'm constantly amazed at the stupidity that I see from tourists. "Don't touch the fire coral. It's called fire coral for a reason- it will burn you." (moments later) "Ouch! I touched this coral and it burned me. You should warn people about that." Right.

We call them "tourons" i.e. Tourist + Moron. Don't even get me started on the "credit card captains" that rent boats down here having only driven a bass boat on a lake.

Note: We do love our tourists and appreciate their visit. I try to help them out as much as possible, even when they walk into my house and say, "Is this the synagogue?" No, this is my house. The synagogue is two doors down on the left. (Never apologizes for walking into my house, or even act like they were embarrassed.)

Pat Barry
06-09-2016, 12:34 PM
We were fortunate to stay a few days at the historic Yellowstone lodge a couple of years ago. I had a buffalo steak in the restaurant there.
I wonder if they harvest the buffalo from inside the park? That could be what the park rangers do for extra spending $.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2016, 12:38 PM
They aren't allowed to hunt or shoot the animals in the park, Pat. They aren't even allowed to remove trees that have fallen which would make good firewood.

We had bison stew for dinner one evening on an evening wildlife tour. They assured us it was made with ranch raised bison.

Jim Koepke
06-09-2016, 1:02 PM
"You can't fix stupid"

Occasionally nature provides a permanent cure for the stupid.

jtk

Malcolm McLeod
06-09-2016, 1:37 PM
Which of us was harassing the sheep?
You were, unfortunately. Denali is a national park, please follow the rules of the park.

We all seem to think we can chose which of societies rules don't apply to us, whether it's stalking sheep, getting off the boardwalk at Yellowstone, or taking the guards off our TS. Rules are only for other (stupid) people.

I'd like to say please don't take this personally, but doubt that's possible. Que sera. Glad you didn't get hurt!

Perry Holbrook
06-09-2016, 1:47 PM
Didn't they just have to euthanize a bison because someone wanted to turn the young bison into a pet?

Actually, to be fair, the media got that one wrong. The father and son who were the tourist actually were experienced in wildlife rescue and were only doing what they had done on numerous times as they had been trained and instructed to do. The baby had already been abandoned by the herd and would have been eventually killed by it's natural predators. They had hoped to prevent that fate but it didn't work out that way.

They were interviewed on Good Morning America and in my opinion were very sincere and upset that their actions had been so poorly represented by others who did not bother to get the facts before alerting the world.

Perry

Curt Harms
06-10-2016, 6:34 AM
They aren't allowed to hunt or shoot the animals in the park, Pat. They aren't even allowed to remove trees that have fallen which would make good firewood.

We had bison stew for dinner one evening on an evening wildlife tour. They assured us it was made with ranch raised bison.

Ted Turner had a nice little business raising bison for food at one time. Apparently they're kinda hard on fences though.

Tony Zona
06-10-2016, 3:08 PM
Ken,

My wife is a waterfall freak.

She is pining over this falls.

thanks.

Michael Weber
06-10-2016, 6:26 PM
Ken,

my my wife is a waterfall freak.

thanks.
was that a sincere thanks?:D. In any case it sounds like Tony is in for a trip

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2016, 6:46 PM
Ken,

my my wife is a waterfall freak.

thanks.

Tony,

That falls is about 35 miles SSW from Yellowstone National Park. Of course if you are in the area, you need to see these 4 located within the park:

...and then a side trip to central Washington will provide this:

BTW....The best time to see any of the waterfalls in the west is in May or early June when we are getting our spring snow runoff.