PDA

View Full Version : Any Bar-B-Q Chefs in the Creek?

Rich Riddle
06-08-2016, 7:28 PM
I am from Kansas City where we like our Bar-B-Q on the sweet side but friends from the South like their Bar-B-Q tasting a bit different. Do any of you know how to make less flavorful types of Bar-B-Q for the friends from the South?

David T gray
06-08-2016, 7:32 PM
its not a issue all bbq is good almost all the sauce bought in stores is kansas type.

Rich Riddle
06-08-2016, 8:16 PM
Well I use a rub that adds heat to the sweetness. I am wondering if some folks use injection or would offer advice on how it's done elsewhere. I know North Carolina uses vinegar as a base.

Brian W Smith
06-08-2016, 8:53 PM
With twisted arm,I occasionally can be coerced into doing pulled pork for parties.

"If you're lookin,you ain't cookin" was one of those tips that will always ring true.

"Time and temperature"....from a studied culinary standpoint is one of the basic tenets of the craft.My mom was the hostess at the Mayflower in D.C. for years.I got to hang out in the kitchen.

Best of luck with your "product",BW

Jim Becker
06-08-2016, 9:00 PM
Do any of you know how to make less flavorful types of Bar-B-Q for the friends from the South?

Um..it's not "less flavorful". It's just different flavorful. :D There are so many different variations on how barbecue is prepared all over; even in adjoining states! Some are more vinegar focused; some emphasize mustard tones, etc. Degree of "kicked up" varies, too.

Malcolm McLeod
06-08-2016, 9:10 PM
to make less flavorful types of Bar-B-Q for the friends from the South?

...and you thought Saw-Stop could start a fight!!:mad::eek::rolleyes::D

Ken Fitzgerald
06-08-2016, 10:17 PM

The Mod Squad had better keep an eye on this one!:rolleyes::eek:

Rich Riddle
06-09-2016, 12:23 AM
Well, it's hard to imagine that anyone would not like the perfection of Kansas City Bar-B-Q, but it does give folks from other areas some aspirations. I do make these comments tongue-in-cheek and realize folks from other areas feel the same about their regions. I simply have no idea how to cook it any other way.

Malcolm Schweizer
06-09-2016, 1:16 AM
Memphis BBQ. 'Nuff said.

Brian Tymchak
06-09-2016, 7:53 AM
The Mod Squad had better keep an eye on this one!:rolleyes::eek:

Yep, threads about religion are expressly forbidden by the TOS. ;)

Brian Tymchak
06-09-2016, 7:59 AM
I know North Carolina uses vinegar as a base.

Our family is from nowhere near NC but my mother used to start with vinegar, melt in a lot of butter, and a spice that I think was Paprika, but not sure on that. Certainly not a sweet sauce. ...Man do I miss her BBQ chicken...

Al Launier
06-09-2016, 8:06 AM
Ho Boy! This is going to be a good un!
I like Sweet Bay Ray's Original" & I'm from the NE.

glenn bradley
06-09-2016, 8:13 AM
. . . and another woodworking forum falls to ruin by becoming a cooking forum . . . *** sigh ***.

Isn't this what Facebook is for? :D:D:D

George Bokros
06-09-2016, 8:26 AM

Make that two for Sweet Baby Ray's and I am from Ohio.

Prashun Patel
06-09-2016, 8:38 AM
Sweet and thick, sour and thin - I love it all. Just don't put any mustard in there.

The sweet stuff isn't as good for making michelada's, though...

As for lookin'/cookin', I'm no chef, but I find with bbq, the lower and slower the better. The only thing I tweak these days during a good 8-14 hour smoke or bbq is the temperature.

Rich Riddle
06-09-2016, 9:02 AM
When I read about "no mustard" the thought of anyone using mustard appeared ludicrous. Then the cable TV aired some shows on Bar-B-Q where one person used a lather of mustard. While the shows proved interesting, they didn't divulge any pertinent information.

Malcolm Schweizer
06-09-2016, 10:52 AM
When I read about "no mustard" the thought of anyone using mustard appeared ludicrous. Then the cable TV aired some shows on Bar-B-Q where one person used a lather of mustard. While the shows proved interesting, they didn't divulge any pertinent information.

I add Mustard powder- not mustard out of a jar.

Dennis Peacock
06-09-2016, 11:00 AM
Whut??!!!! Did somebody mention BBQ??? Smoked ribs??? Pork Butt on the Barb-B-Q??? :)

I was born and raised in the south...and we know all about BBQ. :D

Prashun Patel
06-09-2016, 11:04 AM
They might use it to get the dry rub to adhere.

But I read on AmazingRibs that "South Carolina" recipes can use mustard.

Tim Bridge
06-09-2016, 12:41 PM
I Yankee BBQ. Kraft sauce on my Bubba burger cooked on my gas grill. :D

Peter Kelly
06-09-2016, 4:48 PM
Korean BBQ all the way.

Jim Becker
06-09-2016, 5:20 PM
My dad's barbecue sauce was made with butter, Taylor Port wine and Lee & Perrins Worsheshire Sauce. (not spelled correctly...) It was outstanding on chicken for sure...

Stan Calow
06-09-2016, 7:11 PM
Rich, how about Arthur Bryant's style sauce? My out of town visitors think its pretty different. For you non-KC folks, its peppery and somewhat gritty verses sweet and ketchup-y,

John Grider
06-09-2016, 8:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

Rich Riddle
06-09-2016, 9:27 PM
Rich, how about Arthur Bryant's style sauce? My out of town visitors think its pretty different. For you non-KC folks, its peppery and somewhat gritty verses sweet and ketchup-y,
Stan, I am from Kansas City and they want a different type of Bar-B-Q. I visit on a regular basis and prefer Gates to Bryant's. I even eat at Rosedale and Wyandotte Bar-B-Q from time to time.

Brett Luna
06-10-2016, 5:23 PM
Although I have some favorites, who can pick just one style? Not me, bub. Carolina style encompasses those found in eastern and western (Lexington) North Carolina and some types found in South Carolina, including one made with mustard. My favorite is eastern NC style but I like sweet sauces as well. My usual home-made style is a tomato-based root beer sauce.

Pork butt comes out of my smoker most often but I also 'cue ribs and brisket and I smoke semi-cure pork chops, turkey breasts, jerky, and cheeses. I'm also a hobbyist charcuter. I make a few styles of sausage and "Canadian" bacon.

Stan Calow
06-10-2016, 5:41 PM
Rich, have you been to Woodyard BBQ in Merriam? They sell wood - several different kinds - to all the other BBQ joints in town. The whole back lot is full of piles of wood. Besides the BBQ they sell, its of interest to woodworkers to see.

Brian W Smith
06-10-2016, 7:50 PM
Sweet,salty,sour,and bitter are the original four tastes....google the fifth.IIRC,it's discovery is about 100 years ago.Follow the timeline to the early 1970's to see what happened.May very well be the "taste",you're looking for,just sayin.

Von Bickley
06-10-2016, 10:42 PM
So many times I read that people are having a BBQ, and what they are actually doing is "Grilling Out" by cooking hamburgers & hot dogs. In the South, BBQ is sacred. In the South, if you are having a BBQ, that means chickens or pigs. In SC, we have 3 different types of BBQ, the up-state has a catsup base BBQ, the midlands have a mustard base, and the low country has vinegar & pepper (red pepper & black pepper).. When we have BBQ, we have mustard base or vinegar & pepper. The vinegar & pepper is what we have when we have a "Low Country Pig Picking". The pig is cooked over oak coals for 8 - 10 hours, and then BBQ'ed for 2 - 3 hours. If this is done right, this is super good BBQ.

Dennis Peacock
06-11-2016, 9:09 AM
So many times I read that people are having a BBQ, and what they are actually doing is "Grilling Out" by cooking hamburgers & hot dogs. In the South, BBQ is sacred. In the South, if you are having a BBQ, that means chickens or pigs. In SC, we have 3 different types of BBQ, the up-state has a catsup base BBQ, the midlands have a mustard base, and the low country has vinegar & pepper (red pepper & black pepper).. When we have BBQ, we have mustard base or vinegar & pepper. The vinegar & pepper is what we have when we have a "Low Country Pig Picking". The pig is cooked over oak coals for 8 - 10 hours, and then BBQ'ed for 2 - 3 hours. If this is done right, this is super good BBQ.

That's what I'm talking about...right there.!!!! Good eatin' right there!!!!

Gary Cunningham
06-12-2016, 6:21 PM
I like a local made sauce called BD Yummers. Sweet and tasty.

Doug W Swanson
06-13-2016, 12:03 AM
They might use it to get the dry rub to adhere.

But I read on AmazingRibs that "South Carolina" recipes can use mustard.

I love bbq but I'm far from an expert when it comes to cooking it. I just bought a smoker and many of the recipes I have found use yellow mustard to get the rub to stick. It is such a small quantity so it doesn't add much flavor.

Joe Tilson
06-17-2016, 8:11 AM
All roads lead to heaven, or so they(?) say. I've had BBQ from all over this country. It's all goooooood!:D

Garth Almgren
06-17-2016, 3:10 PM
I'm a fan of Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory and Brown Sugar when I make my pulled pork. That's in a crock pot though, not the BBQ.

Ole Anderson
06-17-2016, 5:05 PM
Probably sacrilegious to call it BBQ, but every once in a while I put a pork loin in the slow cooker with a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's and a bottle of root beer, makes great pulled pork sandwiches. In the summer I cook out a lot, but don't call it BBQ. Closest I come is smearing some SBR on chicken breasts, or rarely on a rack of ribs. Do a pretty mean NY strip steak weekly though and had some good salmon last week. Do love those onion enhanced Bubba Burgers. Everything is better with Montreal Steak Seasoning though.