PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Exhaust setup?

Kit Dumph
06-08-2016, 4:26 PM
In the process of finding a replacement for my Harbor Freight setup. Thinking 1000 + CFM since I have a couple bends and about 10 feet total. You guys have some recommendations. Did have an order in for this https://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC250SEMB.html, but then I get an email about 2 hours later requesting an additional 65 for the shipping and decided to cancel the order and see what else is out there first.

Gary Hair
06-08-2016, 5:15 PM
I have a HF exhaust fan connected to three machines using gate valves and a 3-way splitter, this runs 14 feet to the ceiling and another 3 feet out the roof - works fine. Not sure why you would need 1,000 CFM and a $400+ blower.

Kit Dumph
06-08-2016, 5:28 PM
Having extraction issues as I have been through 2 encoding strips in the last 6 months with only light use. Really should measure the CFM... Also using Flex metal piping instead of the straight walled stuff. Thinking I'll change that out as well. Which HF fan are you using?

Keith Winter
06-08-2016, 5:49 PM
HF 2 HP should be plenty for 1 machine. If you've already gone 2 HP and you're still having issues either your engraver is very dirty and clogged up, or your line is poor. Send a photo of your line when you can.

Gary Hair
06-08-2016, 5:51 PM
I would say the flex pipe would be the biggest culprit and would be the cheapest and most efficient part to replace. I have the green one, 13 gal, 1 HP. It's $149.99 right now but they usually have it on sale for closer to $100, at least they have in the past.

Jerome Stanek
06-08-2016, 5:57 PM
I saw a coupon for the HF 2 hp big one for $169

Kit Dumph
06-08-2016, 6:15 PM
The more I read up on it, I realize I need to do some re-adjusting. The flex pipe has too many 90's and it's flex pipe. I think I'll still upgrade the blower though. Using the 1hp at the moment. Jerome any idea where I could find that coupon?

Gary Hair
06-08-2016, 7:23 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/digitalsavings.html

Not specifically that blower, but 20% off is nice!

Jerome Stanek
06-08-2016, 9:54 PM
I'll have to check my emails and see if I still have it. I get HF emails all the time.

David Somers
06-08-2016, 11:21 PM
Jerome,

I know Woodcraft has a nice heavy duty clear flex pipe that is pretty smooth inside, unlike the normal flex pipe. Solid pipe would be better of course, but if you prefer flex this might be a good middle ground. They have two types if I remember right. A clear with a gray spiral/wire band, and a clear with a black spiral band that is a thinner material. I would go for the clear. I am setup with all hard pipe but use the clear for the 2 bends I needed. I also use the clear on my CNC. Very durable but still yields well with the movement of the gantry.

For what all that is worth!

Dave

Kev Williams
06-09-2016, 10:44 AM
I've had one of the BIG HF blowers for a long time, well over 10 years. It's only weak link has been the power switch. I use it as a chip vacuum for my rotary engravers, it's outside in an insulated plastic shed where no one ever hears it. I have a maze of McGuiver plumbing that runs the entire length of the house, that ends up with 1/2" clear tubing to 7 of my machines. While it can't create the suction a shop-vac does, it still draws enough air to suck up chips from any and all the machines.

I've never actually tried it as a 'blower' ;)

It's substantially larger than the 'normal' blowers, it's rated at 1550 cfm, more than twice the 660 rating of the smaller blower. For the money they're a bargain.

Kit Dumph
06-09-2016, 10:17 PM
Eliminated three 90's today, and tried to hook up some straight wall ductwork. Couldn't figured out a clean mounting solution so went back to the flex pipe. Realized if you stretch it relatively tight you reduce the billows and can make it pretty straight. Going to upgrade to the 2hp 1550 cfm HF blower as well here shortly.

Also I put the current blower at about a 45 degree angle to facilitate a straighter shot for the flex pipe. Seems to be working well, but I'd be curious what this will do to the motor fan in the long term.