PDA

View Full Version : Compressor recommendation

Jon Endres
06-08-2016, 3:58 PM
I think my next major purchase for my shop is going to be an air compressor. I have an older "2 HP" Porter-Cable pancake compressor and it's fine for the occasional tire or to run a nail gun. However, I would like something a bit bigger that I can do any "normal" task in a woodworking shop (the primary use), plus the occasional HVLP painting, possibly an air wrench or die grinder, and eventually very-low-key sandblasting. Not looking for a monster but if the right 80-gallon, 5-hp, single phase unit were to drop into my lap cheap, I might be interested.

For those of you with air demand similar to this, what do you use and what would you recommend?

Albert Lee
06-08-2016, 4:50 PM
if you think you need a 80 gal/5hp... you probably need a 7.5hp/ and at least 100gal? keep in mind the Compressor has duty cycle and whatever you need CFM, you need to times it by 2 to get the compressor you want, you probably need dryer and pre/after filters if you do spray painting.

I use a 10hp 43CFM unit with dryer and filters, I have a few tools require air, WBS, pneumatic mortiser, pneumatic clamps, pneumatic mitre saw and setting up my spray booth now, have a proper compressor with proper dryer and filter setup will see you go a long way.

Jim Becker
06-08-2016, 9:13 PM
For most hobbyists, the typical 60 gallon, 3-5hp compressor is a good fit for the kind of things you want to do. Mine is an IR and it's excellent. Quincy also gets good rep. (If you can get an 80 gallon unit with higher capacity for your budget, so much the better...there's no such thing as too much air!) The next tier are the brands typically sold in the box stores. They are fine, but don't necessarily have the "details" in construction that the IRs of the world provide as standard...quality of tubing, etc.

Jon Endres
06-08-2016, 9:56 PM
if you think you need a 80 gal/5hp... you probably need a 7.5hp/ and at least 100gal? keep in mind the Compressor has duty cycle and whatever you need CFM, you need to times it by 2 to get the compressor you want, you probably need dryer and pre/after filters if you do spray painting.

Sorry, I was misunderstood. I'm just saying that if I found one that big, I wouldn't turn it down for the right price, but I definitely don't need one that big. I want a quality unit that will meet the demands of a serious hobby woodworker.

Keith Downing
06-08-2016, 10:23 PM
I just went through the same search earlier this year; and had roughly the same goals as you.

I ended up with the Ingersol Rand 60 gallon. And I've only put about 25 hours on it but I like it so far. A little louder than I expected, but I think most of them are when they get that big.

For me, I had a max budget of $1k and I wanted something better than the basic Husky/California air quaility. I did a pretty good amount of research and ended up settling on IR.

I also looked very hard at Rolair, and had read some good things, but just couldn't quite justify the extra money given that the reviews were so mixed on the newer units.

Also, remember to consider what it will cost to plumb it in if you plan to do that (it's really pretty necessary to get the most out of 60+ gallon tanks), and also most will require 230V power.

Oh, and if you shop around you can usually find somewhere online, out of state, that will include delivery free (or at a really cheap flat rate). Saving on the tax and delivery equaled about a 15% discount for me over what I almost paid local.

John K Jordan
06-09-2016, 12:00 AM
I also put in an Ingersol Rand 60 gal, 5 hp. I piped air all through the shop and outside. My shop has wood, welding, machining, and farm maintanence. Besides general shop air nozzles I use random orbital sanders, nail/staple guns, plasma cutter, needle scaler, pneumatic grease guns, sand blaster, and automotive impact drivers. I put a big real in the bas right by a gatage door to stretch outside for tires.

The thing IS loud! I installed mine in a sound-insulated closet along with the dust collector and the sound level is fine in the shop. I ran the air through the wall to put the disconnect switch, gauges, valves, water separator, dessicant dryer, and regulator out in the main shop.

I've been using this compressor for almost 3 years now and it has met all my air needs.

JKJ

Jacob Haiduk
06-09-2016, 12:06 AM
Just purchased a compressor and air dryer. I would recommend looking at the buy in cost for the return at $1000 vs how much more you receive in value once you spend a little more. It's like buying a small pop for $3 bucks or a large for $4 at the movies your money gets a much greater return . Also a name not showing up on initial lists but should be is Atlas Copco . They are a huge company been around forever and build parts and compressors for companies like Quincy . They are based in WI and I could not be happier with service and product!

Rich Riddle
06-09-2016, 12:14 AM
Yet another vote for the Ingersol Rand 60 gal, 5 hp. And yet another warning on how LOUD units this size get. I would recommend a sound-insulated room or you will have a terrible time hearing in a very large shop.

Jerome Stanek
06-09-2016, 8:32 AM
Our company had IR's and bout a Schrader it is much nicer and a lot quieter than the IR. the printing division had IR's and the motors burned up so the ended up with a screw unit. My IR's motor caught fire.

Robert Engel
06-09-2016, 8:51 AM
I agree a 3HP/60Gal unit should handle it.

I have a 5HP/80Gal IR in anticipation of doing a lot of heavy use for a car restoration project that got derailed.

I can tell you that I have way too much for what I do, but on those times I am using an air grinder, or my media blaster, it is the ticket.

As for reliability, mine has been good. I did have to replace the starter capacitor but I think that was because the wiring was not right (#12 wire to a 5HP unit on a 30A breaker - done by an electrician go figure....).

Carroll Courtney
06-09-2016, 11:21 AM
I love these type questions,wide open.Myself when I went looking I had a limited amount of money to spend(ask yourself what yours).I wanted this to be my last adventure looking for an air compressor that will be big enough that would handle my growing needs.Since I use my air compressor maybe little more than some but maybe less than others,I wanted middle of the road quality(can't afford Quincy or Curtis) so I settle for IR 80gal 5hp 18cfms.Why 80gal 18cfms,well I did not want it to cycle so much that it would over heat(Better ones can come with coolers) and wanted the most cfm that I could afford.I have a Binks Mach1 w/pressure pot,gravity spray gun,grinders,floor model sand blaster,impact wrenches you get the ideal.Well I found out that the cheaper air tools use more air than the quality air tools so keep that in mind.I have been living with my air compressor for about 15yrs now,I learned the limits which not to reach the limits.But pay attention to how often it cycling and give it a break now an then.So if you have 500.00 set aside or if you have 2k set aside,we all only get what we pay for.Making a good air compressor purchase may be your last air compressor purchase.Air lines that's another story-----Carroll

Jim Becker
06-09-2016, 5:21 PM
The sound element is well stated above...my compressor shares a sound conditioned closet with my cyclone...

Martin Wasner
06-11-2016, 2:09 PM
Screw type compressors are much quieter than a piston type typically. Especially a two stage.

Jerome Stanek
06-11-2016, 2:51 PM
If you get one with a motor that runs slower it will be a lot quieter

David Kumm
06-11-2016, 5:27 PM
If you have a little ability to cope with used, the old Quincy QR series compressors can be found pretty cheap if you are patient or lucky. The trade off with new compressors that are price point machines, is that they are loud, run fast, usually AL heads, splash lubrication, and have crummy valves. They will still run a hobby guy quite a long time. An older QR with a little work is still light years ahead of most new. Quincy had the best valve set up and a gallon of Evaporust, a wire wheel, and sandpaper will return even a poorly maintained one to like new. If they are running, there is very little cost needed to clean up and make well. They are pretty bullet proof because they run slow, are actually pleasant to listen to. Study up on the old models and watch. With a little work, you can have the top of the heap for bottom dollar prices. Dave

Albert Lee
06-12-2016, 4:25 PM
couldnt agree more, when I bought my compressor there wasnt a great need for a lot of air, but I know my shop is growing and I choose to bite the bullet and bought a brand spanking new Chicago Pneumatics piston compressor in a cabinet, its a 43CFM/130Gal compressor with drier and filter. my compressor will be with me for the next 20 years I say.

Jim Andrew
06-12-2016, 10:01 PM
I bought the smallest air compressor with a oil type compressor I could get. It has plenty of power to run guns, wide belt sander, anything I use, and it won't cost a fortune to replace it when it konks out. It has a 3hp motor.