PDA

View Full Version : Vise spacing

Andy McKenzie
06-08-2016, 3:36 PM
Hey folks.

My current bench has a leg vise, which I mostly love. I've ben thinking about trying a quick release metal vise, though, to see how I like it, and I've found one problem: In order to miss the leg, it will need to either be all the way flush with the left end of the bench, or almost centered on the bench. (The bench is just over 48", and currently has about 5" between the end of the bench and the leg, so I'll have to shift the top as well.)

I feel like putting it all the way to the left shouldn't be a problem, but I figuredI'd see if anyone had a reason I'm wrong.

Thoughts?

Here's the bench in question:

https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8208/8264519789_7aa51ff80e_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/dAiPNv)Bench 1 (https://flic.kr/p/dAiPNv) by a_mckenzie_4 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/amckenzie4/), on Flickr

Jim Koepke
06-08-2016, 4:22 PM
Me thinks your bench is a bit short of a second vise on the face.

jtk

Richard Line
06-08-2016, 4:32 PM
Try placing it on the end of the bench, as an end vise. It will need to be too far in to serve a series of dog holes along the edge, still gives you a chance to evaluate the vise.

By the way, my bench is massive compared with your's - its all of 5 ft. long. Small shop spaces do require some compromises.

Andy McKenzie
06-08-2016, 4:52 PM

jtk

Heh. I'll take the leg vise off... I'm planning a new bench, and I'd like to try some options before I start building it.

Try placing it on the end of the bench, as an end vise. It will need to be too far in to serve a series of dog holes along the edge, still gives you a chance to evaluate the vise.

By the way, my bench is massive compared with your's - its all of 5 ft. long. Small shop spaces do require some compromises.

Yeah, I'm looking at an 8' bench for my new shop, and trying to figure out what I'd actually use that much space for....

Trying it as an end vise is an interesting idea. It would at least let me see how I like the quick release function.

Pat Barry
06-08-2016, 5:39 PM

jtk
I would put it on the right side on the end, as near the front as possible. I think you could make it useful for planing board faces in combination with the dog holes, even if those holes are 4 to 6 inches from the front edge

Andy McKenzie
06-08-2016, 5:48 PM
Don't do that

Not sure what happened there... what I wrote is that I'll take the leg vise off to test other styles.

It sounds like people think there's a problem with putting the vise all the way at the left end, though I haven't heard reasons. Are there any, or was I just unclear in my initial post?

Jim Koepke
06-08-2016, 6:54 PM
Yeah, I'm looking at an 8' bench for my new shop, and trying to figure out what I'd actually use that much space for....

My reason for wanting at least 8' is that is the length a lot of lumber is sold.

Not sure what happened there... what I wrote is that I'll take the leg vise off to test other styles.

It sounds like people think there's a problem with putting the vise all the way at the left end, though I haven't heard reasons. Are there any, or was I just unclear in my initial post?

I have no problem with a vise all the way to the left end. It is very handy when cross cutting a piece held in the vise.

jtk

Luke Dupont
06-08-2016, 7:44 PM
I have to say, I love that little bench of yours! Unless you're making very large pieces, I think a small bench is generally just fine.

I would do as others have suggested, and put it on one of the ends, rather than the face. Especially because it will most likely not be flush mounted, whereas your leg vise is.

Pat Barry
06-08-2016, 7:48 PM

Sorry - editing on my phone I lost the word vise and when I just tried to edit the mistake I lost the entire posting.

Normand Leblanc
06-08-2016, 7:58 PM
My 72" benchtop is equipped with 2 front vises. Originally all I had was a wooden leg vise on the right (I'm lefty) and two years ago I've added a metal quick closing one right in the middle, just to try it.

Well...I like both. I'm using mostly the metal vise but wouldn't like be without the wooden one.

Andy McKenzie
06-08-2016, 8:09 PM
My reason for wanting at least 8' is that is the length a lot of lumber is sold.

I have no problem with a vise all the way to the left end. It is very handy when cross cutting a piece held in the vise.

jtk

Good to know! I mostly use a sawbench or a bench hook, but another option is always welcome.

I have to say, I love that little bench of yours! Unless you're making very large pieces, I think a small bench is generally just fine.

I would do as others have suggested, and put it on one of the ends, rather than the face. Especially because it will most likely not be flush mounted, whereas your leg vise is.

Thanks! I built a pair of toy chests, roughly 30"x20"x25" on it, and did most of th work of making a queen bed frame on it, so it's definitely functional. A little more space would be welcome, though.

The right end isn't very accessible, but I might see if I can tweak things a bit to change that.

Sorry - editing on my phone I lost the word vise and when I just tried to edit the mistake I lost the entire posting.

Aha! Yeah, that'll do it.

My 72" benchtop is equipped with 2 front vises. Originally all I had was a wooden leg vise on the right (I'm lefty) and two years ago I've added a metal quick closing one right in the middle, just to try it.

Well...I like both. I'm using mostly the metal vise but wouldn't like be without the wooden one.

Either way, I'll have one on the small bench and one on the large bench, so both vises will get used. it's really a question of where and how.