PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this jointer (Grizzly G1182HW, $120)

Minh Tran
06-08-2016, 3:09 PM
I'm in need of a jointer. I found the Grizzly G1182HW on CL for $120 and the guy says the blade needs replacement.

Photos in the attachment. The exact model is unknown but I believe it to be the G1182HW based on appearance.
The (second-hand) owner lives far (2 hours drive, one way) from me but I've made trips that long before so it isn't a big issue. However, I'd like a second opinion on cost based on the condition.I'm a little worried about the rust on the fence and bed. According to the current owner, it's been in storage for a while (ever since he lost his shop). I can request more photos and ask questions, though I don't know what to ask him in particular.

Thanks,
MT

Matt Day
06-08-2016, 4:21 PM
Not a whole lot to ask, but there are things to inspect before handing over the cash. Check that the tables are flat, the cutter head bearings spin smoothly, tables adjust properly, and of course that it fires up.

I'd say go for it for $120, that's a good price assuming it's not abused.

Minh Tran
06-08-2016, 4:28 PM
Check table is flat: I have a quality try square and combo square. Does checking to see if the tables are flat mean running a straight edge along the table to see if it dips or rises? Would rust affect the table flatness?
Table adjusts properly: I'm not sure what this entails: being able to square it?

daryl moses
06-08-2016, 5:08 PM
Check table is flat: I have a quality try square and combo square. Does checking to see if the tables are flat mean running a straight edge along the table to see if it dips or rises? Would rust affect the table flatness?
Table adjusts properly: I'm not sure what this entails: being able to square it?
A good long straight edge will work,
Table adjusts properly=the depth of cut.
Light rust won't be a problem, I've seen jointers with light pitting that still ran true. I would beware of deep pitting but even that can be overcome.

Mike Chalmers
06-08-2016, 6:32 PM
I would also check the fence to ensure that it is not warped as well as the table. I bought an older 8" jointer and found that the fence was warped enough that the potion after the cutter head was about .1 degree off from the portion before the cutter head. Ended up selling and buying a new one.

rudy de haas
06-08-2016, 6:34 PM
There are usually a lot of 6" jointers for sale (6 decent looking ones on kijiji for Alberta right now, from $200 (canabucks; 72 cents US) to about $600 - and, for $15, an interesting looking antique). That grizzly you're looking at started out as a nice machine, but you have to add the cost of a new belt, possible new knives, and a two hour (1 way?) trip to that $120 before deciding if it's worthwhile.

When I was getting my tools I looked at several of these, but ended up getting a new 8" Craftex (grizzly for Canada) mainly because I didn't know enough about them to feel confident about avoiding lemons and partially because the first boards I wanted to work with were 7". If 6" works for you, remember that companies like Porter Cable make very heavy bench top units that not that bad and cost new about what your total will be for this thing.

Rich Riddle
06-08-2016, 7:29 PM
You won't get hurt at that price. Make sure the tables are straight and nothing is broken.