PDA

View Full Version : Funeral Urn

Doug McKay
06-08-2016, 11:49 AM
On Youtube is a Urn built by a young, very talented carpenter, who is a relatively new turner and carver. You may want to watch in private, it's embarrassing to cry in public.... https://youtu.be/BJEFzlES_S0

Robby Tacheny
06-08-2016, 1:35 PM
I subscribe to his Youtube channel (The Samaurai Carpenter) and saw that one. It is pretty tear worthy, in a good way. I like his work, but he has sort of a cocky personality. I hope its just for the camera and he is not like that in real life.

Either way though, it was a touching gesture on his part.

Robby

Mel Fulks
06-08-2016, 1:44 PM
I don't think wooden flowers succeed often. But I think they do in this case and overall it is a nice composition. I did not like bringing in the family to 'get their reaction' and can not imagine asking them to do that.

Phillip Mitchell
06-08-2016, 10:35 PM
I like his videos for the most part, but also get annoyed and cringe a bit when listening to him talk. He's putting himself out there all the way, though and that's noteworthy.

He has some great projects he's completed and shown in his videos, and he offers some great tips here and there for folks just getting into the craft. I really like the Roubo style workbench he built and it made for a pretty good video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCuvdv8FO54

Don Nicholas
06-08-2016, 11:48 PM
I Speak with some experience on Urns, I just made on for my wife of 53 years. I believe if one has the ability to craft one, I feel it should be a private thing, the urn I made was one of the hardest things I have ever made and I have been woodworking most of my 73 years. I loved my wife and miss her very much.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
06-09-2016, 12:11 AM
I Speak with some experience on Urns, I just made on for my wife of 53 years. I believe if one has the ability to craft one, I feel it should be a private thing, the urn I made was one of the hardest things I have ever made and I have been woodworking most of my 73 years. I loved my wife and miss her very much.

My condolences to you and your family.

Mel Fulks
06-09-2016, 12:55 AM
Don, I'm so sorry. I know the the urn was difficult ...and beautifully done.

Michael Dye
06-11-2016, 12:00 PM
I retired from the aviation business about 10 years ago. I was fortunate enough to survive a very unforgiving path which involved floatplanes in Alaska all the way to 15,000 hours of helicopter time doing some of the most dangerous, radical, and ultimately, life-threatening jobs you could imagine. I really never thought I would live as long as I did. That being said, after drafting my will a very long time ago, I made my personal urn and still have it, to this day. I don't display it out in the open for all to see, but keep it in my office, in line with all of my helicopter and airplane models. I built it using several varieties of wood, including koa, and topped it with a lid mechanism fabricated from a large chunk of brass I machined myself. It is something I am very proud of and will be able to use, someday. Morbid by some opinions, I still enjoy talking about it.

Mel Fulks
06-11-2016, 2:59 PM
Michael, that's interesting, not morbid at all. And with some of the bizarre things that have crept into modern ceremony it is only prudent to plan every detail including the personal remarks. And with somebody else saying it...it won't sound like bragging.

Cody Colston
06-11-2016, 5:25 PM
Michael, I don't think it's morbid, either. In fact, I think I will make one for myself. One thing about life is that none of us will get out of it alive, not in our present bodies, anyway. ;)

Michael Dye
06-11-2016, 6:11 PM
Mel and Cody.......I appreciate the comments. My father, himself a Navy pilot during Korea, taught me how to fly. He planted the seed for this project a long, long, time ago. He was going to build a coffin for himself. Never completed it, in fact never even started it. That would have been funny if he had completed the coffin. My dad is still alive, and at 90 years old, is starting to show signs of an upcoming departure from this planet. He and I talk often and after I sent the YouTube funeral urn video to him, I asked about the coffin we spoke of so many years ago. His response was......"As much as we moved around the country, it would have turned into firewood within five years". I machined my urn back in 1981. The brass top, which I machined on an old South Bend lathe, took about a week to get right. But once bonded to the koa, bubinga, and flame maple base, it became quite the piece. Most folks laugh when I tell them what it's for.