PDA

View Full Version : Source for japanese mortice gauge blades

Oskar Sedell
06-08-2016, 5:15 AM
Hi all,

Some time ago I built a japanese marking gauge (suji keshiki, see below) which works well. However it often annoys me that I can't see the point of the blade under the beam.

Therefore I'd like to try a japanese mortice gauge (kama keshiki) and it would be a nice project to build one. Since I have neither a forge nor a grinder I'd like to ask if someone knows of a source for blades? To be clear, these are the L-shaped blades.

Of course I could buy a complete gauge, and build a new body for it but it would be neater (and possibly cheaper) to get the blades only.

Bonus points if a european source is to be found ;)

thanks in advance,

Oskar

Howard Pollack
06-08-2016, 10:10 AM
If I remember correctly, and I'm not sure I do, Hida (hidatool.com) used to have them in their shop (in Berkeley, CA).
-Howard

Luke Dupont
06-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Hi all,

Some time ago I built a japanese marking gauge (suji keshiki, see below) which works well. However it often annoys me that I can't see the point of the blade under the beam.

Therefore I'd like to try a japanese mortice gauge (kama keshiki) and it would be a nice project to build one. Since I have neither a forge nor a grinder I'd like to ask if someone knows of a source for blades? To be clear, these are the L-shaped blades.

Of course I could buy a complete gauge, and build a new body for it but it would be neater (and possibly cheaper) to get the blades only.

Bonus points if a european source is to be found ;)

thanks in advance,

Oskar

You could try cutting up some bandsaw blades - or just about any old saw blade, if it's thick enough.

I've heard of some people using jigsaw blades, too.

Just take care that it's not too hard. I tried making a marking knife out of a bi-metal blade and, ultimately, it was too difficult to sharpen. If you have a propane torch, you can probably soften anything that is too hard.

Oskar Sedell
06-08-2016, 12:24 PM
If I remember correctly, and I'm not sure I do, Hida (hidatool.com) used to have them in their shop (in Berkeley, CA).
-Howard

Thanks Howard, I had a look, but couldn't find any extra blades. Not even the kama keshiki gauge.

Oskar Sedell
06-08-2016, 12:27 PM
Luke: Thanks for the input. If I had a metal shop I would cook something up. But grinding the teeth off a band saw blade by hand would be a pita. Not sure a hardened blade would survive the 90 degree bending either.

Mike Holbrook
06-08-2016, 12:37 PM
I have had a 'kegaki' marking gauge on order from Tool From Japan since April 6. If I understood the information correctly the blade and body are made in different places, which is the hold up. Maybe they can get a blade in less time?

Hoping someone knows of a source as it is starting to look like I may have to build one too.

Oskar Sedell
06-16-2016, 6:11 AM
Seems like no source is known. I ordered a veritas wheel marking gauge together with some other stuff. It works like a joy and I'll keep using it until I can make a pair of blades myself.

I will report on the build when I can get to it, or if I'll find blades somewhere.