PDA

View Full Version : Are these both eucalyptus?

Mark Gibney
06-07-2016, 10:37 PM
I picked these two logs up somewhere a few years back, just cut them open to have a look. Very hard stuff. Do you that know these things think they are two types of eucalyptus? - there's a lot of it here in Los Angeles.

Not enough to do anything much with, just curious.

Lonnie Gallaher
06-07-2016, 11:48 PM
The bark on the first one looks like Sycamore.

Brian Kent
06-08-2016, 12:21 AM
1 and 2 are sycamore. It is good to turn. Lots of splits in the branch wood.

Robby Tacheny
06-08-2016, 8:23 AM
Picture #2 has beautiful "flecked" grain when quartersawn and that grain pattern is pretty much the telltale sign of Sycamore. Take two slices from the edges and bookmatch. You might get enough for a box lid or something.

See how it used on the top of this box. This link is to a page at Lumberjocks where someone made a nice box lid insert with it.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/57565

Robby

Prashun Patel
06-08-2016, 8:30 AM
1,2 like like Sycamore to me too.

That being said, I'm reading Bruce Hoadley's Understanding Wood and The Wood Book (The Complete Plates) and they are really challenging my assumptions. The variety of North American tree wood is staggering. Great reads, both of them

Sean Troy
06-08-2016, 8:56 AM
Pic three looks like African Sumac. Common in the Southwest. Beautiful turning wood but cracks easily. Gets redder with more sunlight.

Andrew Gibson
06-08-2016, 9:26 AM
I agree that pic 1 and 2 are Sycamore. Definitely one of my favorites.
I am not sure of pic 3 and 4 but my first thought was box elder.

Definitely not Eucalyptus. We have a lot of different species of eucalyptus here in Florida and none would be anything close the whats pictured, no defined medullary rays.
Here is a picture of Red Eucalyptus slab coffee table I just finished, the base is walnut.

Dick Strauss
06-08-2016, 9:36 AM
I'm pretty sure 1 & 2 are sycamore. Some Eucs can have bark that peels seasonally but it is usally longer skinny pieces as opposed to small roundish and almost puzzle shaped pieces that fall from sycamores. The wood color and digital fleck is also right for sycamore.

The others I really can't see enough detail to venture a guess.

OT...that is very nice work Andrew!

Michael Weber
06-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Quarter saw that if it is indeed sycamore. I cut up a small limb from a neighbors tree. I was astonished at what the QS looked like. Someone informed me a common name for it was American Lacewood. Its beautiful

Mark Gibney
06-08-2016, 11:37 AM
Thanks everyone - sycamore it is then. A box lid or something like that sounds like a great idea, I'll make some slices.

The other one does look like African Sumac now that I googled the bark, but box elder is pretty similar looking too! This one is rock hard.

Prashun - my wife got me The Wood Book a few years back and the range of woods here in N America is indeed enormous. It's a doorstopper!

Sean Troy
06-09-2016, 4:16 PM
Thanks everyone - sycamore it is then. A box lid or something like that sounds like a great idea, I'll make some slices.

The other one does look like African Sumac now that I googled the bark, but box elder is pretty similar looking too! This one is rock hard.

Prashun - my wife got me The Wood Book a few years back and the range of woods here in N America is indeed enormous. It's a doorstopper!

Hard = Sumac. Box Elder is much softer.