PDA

View Full Version : Delta 48-541s - Good choice?

Steve Mathews
06-07-2016, 10:02 PM
I'm looking to purchase a used Delta 48-541s. Is this a good choice for a first wood lathe? What's a fair price for one in good condition?

Dick Strauss
06-08-2016, 9:21 AM
Do you mean a Delta 46-541 12" swing gap bed lathe that was very common in schools? Delta parts are hard to find if it isn't complete. It has a lot of mass but may not be the best option for bowls depending on the lowest speeds available. There is a 4-speed version and a variable speed version (that uses a reeves drive).

The price varies a lot by market. I've seen them sell for $300-600 locally. Some folks will ask $1000 or more but they just aren't worth it in comparison to other options available. There is one currently selling for more than $800 that has been listed on CL for over a month. Usually if something is priced close to right it will sell quickly on CL IMO.

By the way, I noticed your other post asking about the Jet 1236. The Jet 1236 has a reeves drive system that is much less than ideal because the pulley halves are made of pot metal. I would avoid it. I think that older Delta lathe uses cast iron pulleys but I could be wrong. If they are cast iron ones, they will need to be lubed regularly but will last a long time if maintained.

Steve Mathews
06-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Yes, it is actually a Delta 46-541s with variable speeds. The pulley halves look to be cast aluminum but I'm not positive. At my budget of $500 are there better options?

Wes Ramsey
06-08-2016, 12:25 PM
That's the lathe I turn on. It has served me well for the better part of 3 years, but I'm looking to upgrade in the next year or so. I haven't had a lick of problems out of the reeves drive and it has a great speed range for all types of work. I've turned a few 15+" platters in the gap - it is somewhat problematic as the gap isn't wide enough to use a chuck, only faceplates, but it can be done. With the door closed it is loud - something with the resonant frequency of the cabinet. Not nearly as loud with it open. My wife worries about me turning late at night, but she can either hear or feel a mild hum in the house from the lathe and knows that I'm working and okay...and my shop is about 150' from the house :eek: Standing over the lathe it isn't too bad, but I usually wear some bluetooth earbuds and listen to music while I work to help block the constant drone. It does not have reverse, though I've read it is possible for a determined individual with a source for the parts to add such a feature. It is heavy, but it is top-heavy. It will walk around with a heavy, unbalanced blank. My drive shaft is bent just a hair and the ears on the tailstock that fit down between the ways are worn so it is difficult to center the tailstock. It is not noticeable on larger pieces, but with smaller items you may notice a slight oval, especially when assembling turned pen parts with machined pen parts you can feel where it overlaps the pen tip. And when I reverse a piece it is immediately out-of-balance. There is nothing unsafe about the wear or misalignment, but it can be frustrating. The drive shaft is 1" x 8 TPI so accessories are common and can be used on many other lathes if you decide to upgrade later.

The bearings can be found for ~$60-70 online, or you can get the auto parts store equivalent for about $15 (haven't heard any good reason not to use these). Mine are starting to get a little squeal to them so I'm thinking about replacing them and servicing the reeves pulleys and such.

All in all though I think it is a fine lathe to start on if you can get it at a decent price, but I don't know what that would be. Mine was given to me by a cousin, and when I upgrade I will clean/fix it up and pass it on to another future turner with enough tools to get started as my cousin (actually wife's cousin) did for me.