PDA

View Full Version : Sanding station

Jesse Busenitz
06-07-2016, 8:39 AM
I'm thinking about make a more dedicated sanding area, and am debating between a festool setup, down draft table, or maybe just a shopvac/dust deputy. Obviously a down draft is going to take up more room, but that's not a huge problem. Also if I just build something should I hook it up to my existing DC (Oneida 3HP Dust Gorilla) or make a separate system? Festool looks cool but it's kinda pricey, and I'm not sure I wanna become a green guy. I've heard a few good things about the Dust Deputy, and it's not to expensive. My current setup is a Bosch 5", which I hook up to my shop vac if I'm doing a lot of sanding, but it's still leaving a lot of fine dust, and plugs the filter quick. So what's your opinion?

John A langley
06-07-2016, 10:18 AM
I'd go with the Festool for one thing it's portable further I believe the dust collection is better

Hoang N Nguyen
06-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Festool ETS sanders with one of their CT vac. Zero dust...

Prashun Patel
06-07-2016, 11:04 AM
I currently sand with a Shopvac and dust deputy. I also recently added a 20" box fan with a bungee'd furnace filter on the intake behind the workpiece.
These two things really work superbly and keep the filter in my sv clean.

I do lust for a Festool or Fein vacuum but only because they would be less cumbersome than my current solution.

Jesse Busenitz
06-07-2016, 6:51 PM
Does the CT vac work with other ROS or do you have to use the ETS sander?

Larry Frank
06-07-2016, 7:29 PM
I use my DeWalt ROS with my CT26 and works well. That being said, when it dies I will replace with a Festool.

I also will be making a bigger downdraft table and hook to my Super Dust Gorilla. I use it with my Dremel flex shaft and smaller projects.

I am also looking at other things in the shop to collect dust.

Martin Wasner
06-07-2016, 8:51 PM
Personally, I like a down draft table. It's a giant air filter. If you want to go bonkers, do a vacuum and the down draft table. I have a Denray (http://www.denray.com/wood-plastics--composites.html) 7200B, my only complaint is I would like to add a port on it to hook up to the dust collector so the super fine stuff that blasts out of the filters when being purged can be captured by the dust collector instead of having to cycle the table back on. Other than that I wouldn't change anything. My shop is a zillion times cleaner than before I got it, and the air is much cleaner.

It's an awesome unit.

http://www.denray.com/uploads/3/7/3/2/37323697/1408030948.png

Martin Wasner
06-07-2016, 8:52 PM
Also, I just toss a sheet of melamine on it if I need more table space for whatever.