PDA

View Full Version : New Shop, part the 6 (and tool gloat)

John Bailey
09-21-2005, 8:06 PM
Well, I've been working on the shop since I've been back in the states. Just finished up the siding. As you can see, I've got a lot of trim left to do. Next steps are to stain the siding, put the trim on and then build temporary doors for the winter. The doors are going to be temporary because I want to work on some nice doors when the shop is done, but I need something up for winter.

The first pic is of the north side of the shop, then around to the west, south and finally the east, which is the front of the building. I included a couple of shots of the inside in the next reply. I have 80% of my tools in the new shop now. Even though it's not done, it feels like I have a shop. In the next reply you'll also see the RAS and jointer I picked up used.

John Bailey
09-21-2005, 8:14 PM
The next shots are of the inside, just to give a view of the working space. This is followed by pictures of the old Grizzly 6" jointer and 1950's DeWalt RAS that I purchased recently. I know I'm in the minority being a RAS fan, but this saw is night and day better than the 20 yr. old Craftsman I had. (May it rest in piece.) Both machines seem to be solid, although both have some major clean-up in store for the near future. The RAS especially is going to get a full reconditioning. I'll be sure to get pictures when I'm done.

John

Andy Hoyt
09-21-2005, 8:17 PM
Nice! Post more pics!

What's the whitish material attached to the exterior of the framing?

John Bailey
09-21-2005, 8:24 PM
Andy,

The whitish material is the inside of the rigid foam insulation. It's actually silver. There will be more insulation between the studs before the walls go up. As far as more pics, I've pretty much posted all of them in previous threads. I will add one here of the eventual floorplan. This is a pay as you go project so the finished product is well down the road. You can be sure I'll get more pics when the stain and trim is finished.

John

(Oops! Guess I can't upload a picture I've already uploaded in a previous thread. For those who want to see the layout it's in New Shop, part two, under my name.)

Bob Noles
09-21-2005, 9:54 PM
John,

It is hard to reply while I drool so badly :D

That is one nice shop you have going. I love the way you did your siding and just look at all that room. I am so jealous ;)

Corey Hallagan
09-21-2005, 10:33 PM
That is going to be a beauty! I love the exterior siding. What kind of door you going to make, sliding barn door style or two doors opening out? Nice big old hunk of iron there on the dewalt!

Corey

Frank Pellow
09-21-2005, 10:51 PM
I really like the siding John. The shop space looks good too.

John Bailey
09-22-2005, 5:35 AM
Bob,

Thanks for the comment. At 20x20 the shop is not going to be that big by "Creeker" standards, but I think I've planned well and I'll be able to build everything I want with plenty of room. This size shop will allow me to function without the cost and time of keeping a larger shop. In the long run, less upkeep should translate into more time for woodworking.

Corey,

The temporary doors are going to be made of some scrap rigid foam sandwiched between some scrap tongue and groove. There will be two doors opening to the outside, with one being used most of the time as an entrance. At some point I'm thinking of doing a door with a carving, or inlay, that would present what I like to make - boats, kayak paddles and dulcimers. I want the shop to be functional before I start making those doors (and projects).

Yes, the hunk of iron is great. I've been looking at them for some time. When I got home from my summer exploits, the old Craftsman RAS had died. Because of the siding project, it was time to pull the trigger. This DeWalt is amazing compared to the Craftsman. I know it looks rough right now, but it sure works well.

Frank,

Everyone seems to like the siding. I wanted board and batten, but the wife wanted the diagonal t&g to match our house and garage. She won that one, but it was a small price to pay. I like it too!

John

Jeff Sudmeier
09-22-2005, 8:23 AM
I really love the looks of the siding as well! Your LOML has good taste!!

You are doing very well on this project, it has taken awhile, but it has been well worth it!

Kelly C. Hanna
09-22-2005, 8:30 AM
I LOVE the siding...always have liked wood sided shops...

John Bailey
09-22-2005, 3:35 PM
Kelly, Jeff
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, my wife has good taste. However, she had some ideas for the inside, and that's where I drew the line. This cave will be all mine on the inside.

John