PDA

View Full Version : Track Saw Blades

Julie Moriarty
06-06-2016, 8:05 PM
I'm ripping 5/4 hard maple with a Dewalt track saw and did it ever struggle. Don't know if this is normal but if it isn't I'm guessing I need a better blade than the one that came with the saw.

I looked on the Forrest website but couldn't find any track saw blades. Next I checked the Freud website and same thing. Amana, ditto.

Who, besides Dewalt, makes a blade for their track saw?

David Eisenhauer
06-06-2016, 8:20 PM
I have heard that Oshlun makes some blades to fit the Festool saw. Maybe your as well?

Jamie Buxton
06-06-2016, 8:41 PM
Dunno about the DeWalt, but the smaller Festool comes with a blade optimized for cutting plywood -- lots of teeth, and with negative hook. It rips lumber poorly. You want a real rip blade.
Freud does make a rip blade that fits the Festool, and I think it would fit the DeWalt. Oshlun makes track saw blades, and charges a lot less for them than Festool or Freud.

Chip Byrd
06-06-2016, 9:07 PM
I have the Dewalt track saw and use this to cut 6/4 maple: http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LU87R006M20-Perma-Shield-Festool-14-Teeth/dp/B002IPGXRO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Jared Sankovich
06-06-2016, 9:54 PM
I have the Dewalt track saw and use this to cut 6/4 maple: http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LU87R006M20-Perma-Shield-Festool-14-Teeth/dp/B002IPGXRO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I have that blade. While it cuts with less effort, the cut quality is really poor

Sean Tracey
06-06-2016, 10:18 PM
Tenryu makes saw blades for plunge cut saws. Their website says they make blades suitable for Festool TS55 and TS75 machines and "others". You could check and see if one of the sizes of the blades fit Dewalt.

Eric Schmid
06-06-2016, 10:36 PM
For ripping check out the 12 tooth, 160mm blade from Festool. Much less load on the saw. Very aggressive, so you may get some chip out on your zero clearance strip as the blade comes up out of the cut. I dedicate one side of the Dewalt track to this blade. Their 28T universal also rips easily and gives a cleaner cut than the 12 tooth. Does not seem to cause chip out. Festool blades are a bit pricy, but well made with lots of carbide.

I ran a 12 tooth through 16 or so hidden steel deck fasteners last year. Not on purpose, of course; they were just right in my cut line:). After the first couple I just decided to go for it. Lost some edges, but the sharpenening service got it back in service for $14.

I've had Diablos loose entire teeth on a lot less.

Julie Moriarty
06-07-2016, 11:33 AM
I just did another web search and found this article on FWW: http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-guide/article/new-blades-for-track-guided-saws.aspx But they don't give the manufacturer's number for the blades. All I could find on Amazon for the Freud blade is Freud LU96R006M20 but the picture of the blade shows print on the blade that says it's a thin kerf laminate and floor laminate blade.

I was able to find a Forrest blade made for Festool - WW16507100 - but it's 5mm smaller in diameter so you give up about 1/4" in cutting depth. It's $101 on Amazon. I'm still holding out on the hope I can find a Freud Glue Line rip blade for the track saw. About the closest I could find was Freud LU86R006M20. It's a 160mm general purpose blade that has ATB with 12 degree hook. Not sure how that would perform as a rip blade.

The blade that came with the Dewalt track saw burned the 5/4 maple and I couldn't go any faster or it would noticeably bog down the saw. It's just not the right blade for ripping.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-07-2016, 11:39 AM
Julie...from the FWW article I found this one on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SBFT-160048-Crosscut-Festool-SP6000K/dp/B0030GGFRS/ref=pd_rhf_gw_s_cp_2?_encoding=UTF8&ie=UTF8&pf_rd_i=&pf_rd_m=&pf_rd_p=&pf_rd_r=1TPZAYMK3MY9TVGVBJ3F&pf_rd_s=recent-history-footer&pf_rd_t=gateway&refRID=1TPZAYMK3MY9TVGVBJ3F

It claims to fit Dewalt and others.

Here's a number of Freud blades on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_10?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=freud+track+saw+blade&sprefix=Freud+trac%2Ctools%2C219

Rick Potter
06-07-2016, 11:40 AM
I also have the Freud, and I think I prefer the DeWalt. The Freud seemed to dull pretty fast cutting melamine. It is available in two tooth counts though. Got mine at Rockler, I think I saw some at HD also.

Infinity also makes track saw blades. Haven't tried them.

Julie Moriarty
06-07-2016, 11:41 AM
I just found a Forrest Woodworker II blade on Amazon - WW06407100. It's $97.00. If it can cut as well as their 10" WWII, that would be nice. But my personal experience is the Freud Glue line rip cuts better than the WWII in the 10" size.

Julie Moriarty
06-07-2016, 11:44 AM
Julie...from the FWW article I found this one on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SBFT-160048-Crosscut-Festool-SP6000K/dp/B0030GGFRS/ref=pd_rhf_gw_s_cp_2?_encoding=UTF8&ie=UTF8&pf_rd_i=&pf_rd_m=&pf_rd_p=&pf_rd_r=1TPZAYMK3MY9TVGVBJ3F&pf_rd_s=recent-history-footer&pf_rd_t=gateway&refRID=1TPZAYMK3MY9TVGVBJ3F

It claims to fit Dewalt and others.

Here's a number of Freud blades on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_10?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=freud+track+saw+blade&sprefix=Freud+trac%2Ctools%2C219

Thanks, Ken but it's a crosscut blade. I need a good ripping blade. I'm beginning to wonder if the track saw is seldom used for ripping hardwoods.

Julie Moriarty
06-07-2016, 12:07 PM
I just found a Forrest Woodworker II blade on Amazon - WW06407100. It's $97.00. If it can cut as well as their 10" WWII, that would be nice.
Just saw that Forrest WWII blade has a 5/8" bore. :(

Mel Fulks
06-07-2016, 12:12 PM
I would just ask for the most aggressive low tooth count one available. I know with 10 inch table saw blades you can tell the difference between 20 and 18 teeth.

David Gutierrez
06-07-2016, 12:16 PM
infinity tools has track saw blades that fit dewalt.

Tom Ewell
06-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Have you checked out carbide processors? (one of the friends of the creek)

Tenryu PSW-16012CBD2, 20mm arbor but unfortunately it's also a 160mm

Looks like amazon has them too.

Julie Moriarty
06-07-2016, 1:05 PM
infinity tools has track saw blades that fit dewalt.
Thank you, David, but unfortunately Infinity says their blade is for laminates and cross cutting.

Most every fine cutting blade I have found so far has been for sheet goods. I guess they figure if you're ripping hardwoods you should do it on a table saw. But there are times a track saw will give you a better result, IF you have the proper blade.

David Wong
06-07-2016, 1:27 PM
I have used this (http://tenryusawblades.com/product.php?productid=17967&page=1) Tenryu blade for ripping hardwood with my Festool TS55. It should also fit a Dewalt with a 20mm arbor. The blade is 160mm diameter, 12 tooth. My saw would either burn or stall ripping with the standard 28T blade. This blade would breeze through 6/4 birch.

Allan Speers
06-07-2016, 3:30 PM
I use this on my EZ/Makita 10" tracksaw and it works great. Maybe they have a smaller version?

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/safety-rip-saw-blade-10-dia-20t-130-kerf-5-8-arbor-worlds-best-37376/

It's not super-thin, yet it has cut through 8/4 hard maple with decent results. I'm not sure I'd call it a "glue ready" cut, but no burning at least.

Also, I'm using the big Makita saw, which has a lower rpm gearing and thus more torque. That probably makes a difference.

Mike Cutler
06-07-2016, 6:15 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if the track saw is seldom used for ripping hardwoods.

Julie

I thought that the Festool blades would fit the Dewalt. 160mmx 20mm (Festool) vs 165mmx 20mm (DeWalt). The 5mm diameter difference would not be a loss of 1/4", more like an 1/8".

The Festool Panther is a dedicated rip blade and it does work. I use it in my TS75. Festool make one for the TS55 as well.

Earl McLain
06-07-2016, 8:20 PM
One advantage with Carbide Processors is that they are easy to call and talk through something like this. I'll admit that calling anywhere is my last resort, but sometimes i just gotta and they have come through for me. And, with the Creeker discount, free shipping and service Tom's folks provide...they're easy to work with. The World's Best is CP's own brand, designed by Tom. I've gotten a few of the Popular Tools blades for my 7 1/4" circ saw (general homeowner use), and they have been much better than i expected--might try them for woodworking sometime as well. Might be worth a call to them.
earl

Greg R Bradley
06-07-2016, 8:57 PM
Blades made for TS55 are 160mm, where blades for Makita SP6000 and Dewalt tracksaw are 165mm. That is 5mm or 1/5", which means you lose 1/10" cut depth. Here are pics I took when I was considering the problem with my TS55 and Makita SP6000 against the same wood I was trimming. It isn't much at all:

Julie Moriarty
06-08-2016, 11:37 AM
Yesterday the latest issue of FWW arrived. They featured a tool test. You guessed it, track saws.

In the tests they included cuts on sheet goods, and crosscuts and rip cuts on hardwood. Rips were done on 8/4 maple and oak and 4/4 alder. As expected, the big, expensive track saws did best in the test. I was tempted to go sell some stock in Google or Microsoft, so I could buy one of them, but I don't have any stock. :rolleyes:

Mafell and Festool's 75 EQ took top honors and Makita was best value, though the tester had to tweak the saw some to get it to cut right. But the Makita also bogged down with 8/4 hardwoods, leaving me to believe most track saws weren't designed to rip thick boards.

The Dewalt bogged down in 8/4 oak, but I expected that as I found even 5/4 maple bogged it down. But I have read many times a contractor's saw can't handle big lumber, yet I do pretty well with mine. I just make sure I have the best blade for the wood I am ripping. So until proven otherwise, I am going to assume the right blade will make the saw perform better than I have seen to this point.

So far it looks like no one makes a clean cutting rip blade for the track saw. In 10" blades, Freud's Glue Line rip blade has 30 teeth. Their thin kerf rip blade has 24 teeth. The only true rip blade Freud makes for the track saw is their thin kerf rip which has 14 teeth. If you extrapolate that to what a glue line rip blade would be, that blade for a track saw should have 17-18 teeth. That's what Ill be keeping my eye out for in this search.

As far as diameter, the small difference between Festool-sized blades and the blade made for Dewalt isn't a deal breaker. But what may be a problem is the riving knife. It's set for a 6-1/2" (165mm) blade. So if you make anything other than thru-cuts, the riving knife may stop your progress. I will have to check that out before purchasing a 160mm diameter blade. The first cuts I made with the track saw were to create a rabbet. I'll also have to make sure the kerf on the blade is at least 0.087" (2.2mm) and the body thickness is not greater than 0.063 (1.6mm).

Mel Fulks
06-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Julie, Since the saw was having a hard time you need the 14 tooth . I don't think a glue line cut is going to be possible on that saw on thick wood. A difference between 18 and 20 tooth 10 inch blades is noticible. And the faster 18 tooth produces more wavy drift, but no matter as the surface is going to need jointing.

Eric Schmid
06-08-2016, 4:09 PM
I think you will pleasantly surprised at what that little saw will cut with ease with the correct blade for ripping. It's night and day from what you are experiencing with the 48T Dewalt blade. I have ripped hardwood with that blade in a pinch so I know what you're experiencing.

A couple of weeks ago I had a hundred feet or so of rough sawn Black Locust (1.5") that needed to be milled. Live edge on both sides, so the track saw was the perfect tool for establishing a straight edge. My 12T blade was at the sharpener so I used the 28T Festool. Not as fast or effortless as the 12T, but did not overload the saw and left a very clean cut.

I realize you want glue line ready edges right off the track saw. You won't get that with a low tooth count rip blade, but you might get it with the 28T Festool; or darn close. If the faces aren't joined before, it may not matter. Saw load will be lowest with the former.

As for the riving knife you should be fine. I make plunge cuts all the time with the Dewalt. Never had the knife prevent me from making non-through cuts. It's spring loaded and will retract and extend as the cut allows. Festool and other 160mm blades don't effect the saw except to reduce the depth of cut. There might be a limit, but I've never found it.

I have a 6" diamond blade that I've used to cut granite counter tops. These cuts are made in multiple passes so the knife is retracted until the final pass.

Jim Dwight
06-08-2016, 9:34 PM
I haven't had any difficulty ripping yet but have cut very little hardwood with my DeWalt track saw so far. It cut a few solid exterior doors without difficulty with the stock blade but they were softwood. I have a Oshlun blade but I think it is also 48 tooth. Oshlun makes a 28 tooth 160mm track saw blade as does Freud. Freud also makes a 14 tooth as has been mentioned. The 28 tooth Freud is a LU86. Amazon has all these blades. Amazon learns what you like from your searches. To get to the Oshlun I had to click on the 48 and it then showed me the 28 as an option. The Oshlun 28 is less than $20. I like Freud better but the prices on the Oshlun make it tempting. I'd love it if they offered all these blades in 165mm but selection seems much more modest.

Julie Moriarty
06-09-2016, 10:50 AM
Because I've been very happy with the Freud blades I have bought in the past, I went with Freud on this search. I bought both the 14T and 28T thin kerf blades. Because of the split shop layout I now have, I suspect I will be getting a lot of use out of the track saw.

One thing that's nice about the Dewalt track is it has the rubber guide on both sides of the track. I'll use the one side I have already trimmed for the Dewalt 48T and the other side will be for the Freud blades.

On another note, with all this searching I discovered Festool now makes this handy little cordless circular saw
https://assets.festool.com/media/zoom_hks_hk55_561731_p_03a.jpg?RenditionID=280
When you pick up the saw, the track comes with it. Kinda cool! It's only sold in Europe but the charger is 120v.

I also saw a Festool distributor discounts Festools 20% and more. Does Festool allow discounts there but not here?

Eric Schmid
06-09-2016, 7:58 PM
I like the price of the Freud blades. Looks like their half the price of the Festool blades. Let us know how they do on your project.

Julie Moriarty
06-09-2016, 10:36 PM
I like the price of the Freud blades. Looks like their half the price of the Festool blades. Let us know how they do on your project.
Will do...

Jim Dwight
06-10-2016, 10:09 AM
It might be worth drilling out a 6.5 inch blade (165.1mm). Bisco tool supply offers a 20mm drill bit.

Mike Henderson
06-10-2016, 4:01 PM
It might be worth drilling out a 6.5 inch blade (165.1mm). Bisco tool supply offers a 20mm drill bit.
I think it would be difficult to drill out the center of a saw blade accurately. That is, so that the hole comes out exactly in the center and exactly the right size.

Unless you have metal working machinery, that is.

Mike

Gerry Grzadzinski
06-10-2016, 5:13 PM
Most sharpening services can bore the hole larger.

Jared Sankovich
06-10-2016, 8:45 PM
I think it would be difficult to drill out the center of a saw blade accurately. That is, so that the hole comes out exactly in the center and exactly the right size.

Unless you have metal working machinery, that is.

Mike

This.. drill bits are used for rough holes where roundness or concentricity is not a concern. You would need to ream with a reamer (after drilling ) or better yet bore the hole with a single point tool bit in a boring head.

Julie Moriarty
06-10-2016, 11:47 PM

Eric,

I got the blades today. I had to trim all the 5/4 maple boards anywhere between a skim to an 1/8". I used the Freud 24T blade and it worked much better than the Dewalt 48T blade. The saw bogged down slightly at first but that was because I struggled keeping my footing on a terrazzo floor. It was like watching Harpo Marx change directions on a waxed floor. :rolleyes:

Once I was able to brace myself through the entire cut, the results were remarkably better than the 48T blade. One or two swipes with a plane and it's as good as a glue-line rip blade.

I'll save the 14T blade for really rough stuff.

Eric Schmid
06-11-2016, 1:18 AM
Glad it worked out and thanks for pointing me toward the Freud blade. I'll have to give one a try now:).

Even if you had found a glue line rip blade I'm not sure you would have gotten glue ready edges trimming so close to the edge.

Ruperto Mendiones
06-11-2016, 2:36 AM
2+ on calling Carbide Processors. I've never been disappointed with the blades they have provided. I"m sure Tom can come up with a good solution for you.

Julie Moriarty
06-11-2016, 8:27 AM
Glad it worked out and thanks for pointing me toward the Freud blade. I'll have to give one a try now:).

Even if you had found a glue line rip blade I'm not sure you would have gotten glue ready edges trimming so close to the edge.

Actually, I was pretty impressed with the cuts. One cutoff was very thin but of consistent thickness the entire 7' length. I was impressed.

Freud's 24T blade is the same kerf as Dewalt's 48T blade so I was able to use the same side of the track for both blades. Another plus. So far, nothing negative to report.