PDA

View Full Version : Delta 48-541S vs Jet JWL-1236 vs ?

Steve Mathews
06-06-2016, 7:32 PM
I'm fairly new to woodworking and wood like to try my hand at wood turning. I've come across used Delta 48-541S and Jet JWL-1236 lathes for sale locally. Which one would be the better of the two? What would be a reasonable price for them? They both seem to be in reasonable condition. Are there better alternatives? I have no specific projects in mind other than turning a few small bowls sounds interesting. I would appreciate any help or advice.

Steve Mathews
06-07-2016, 4:57 PM
I'm fairly new to woodworking and wood like to try my hand at wood turning. I've come across used Delta 48-541S and Jet JWL-1236 lathes for sale locally. Which one would be the better of the two? What would be a reasonable price for them? They both seem to be in reasonable condition. Are there better alternatives? I have no specific projects in mind other than turning a few small bowls sounds interesting. I would appreciate any help or advice.

The Jet lathe is no longer available. So what about the Delta?

Kyle Iwamoto
06-07-2016, 5:24 PM
This place has a woodturning forum. Post there. You'll get more attention.
Not familiar with the Delta personally..... How much are they asking for is a big key when asking opinions. Do they come with tooling? Tooling is a big cost, actually more than the lathe itself.

Steve Mathews
06-07-2016, 6:41 PM
This place has a woodturning forum. Post there. You'll get more attention.
Not familiar with the Delta personally..... How much are they asking for is a big key when asking opinions. Do they come with tooling? Tooling is a big cost, actually more than the lathe itself.

Thanks Kyle! I'll raise the question in the woodturning forum.