PDA

View Full Version : laguna band saw

Jacob Haiduk
06-06-2016, 5:04 PM
Does anyone own or have experience with Laguna's LT24x24 bandsaw? I have owned their 18se purchased it back in 2000 it came with 4.8hp motor and 17.5" of resaw worked great . I sold it to up grade to the 24 and just finished assembling it. The main reason i liked this saw was the 7.5hp and the giant work table . The table seems to be seriously under supported and literally wiggles in ALL direction with little pressure. Did I miss something or is that just the way it is?

Andrew Hughes
06-06-2016, 6:33 PM
That doesn't sound good or right.
Did you happen to get a Resaw King with the saw?

Jacob Haiduk
06-06-2016, 8:39 PM
I have heard both good and negative about resaw king but figured i needed to make my own opinion ,so yes I have a resaw king blade but I have yet to turn it on as it is three phase and still running wire. Do you have experience with this saw and resaw king?

Andrew Hughes
06-06-2016, 9:19 PM
I have not used one of their 24inch saws.I did have a smaller Laguna Bs.Its been a while since I bought a Rk blade and been thinking of going back since it can be sharpened.I bought two wood master ct last year and only get sharpened once.
So now I have a 20 inch Aggazani.A Rk blade looks to set me back 300.
Id be interested in your opinion one the Rk blade when you get your saw running.

Aj

Jacob Haiduk
06-06-2016, 9:29 PM
Andrew I will keep you informed as I get things set up

lowell holmes
06-07-2016, 8:23 AM
I have a 14" Jet band saw, so I am ignorant concerning high horsepower band saws.

Why do you need 7.5 horsepower on a band saw for working wood in a home workshop.

If I was sawing bridge timbers, I could see the need. I don't need the horsepower for re-sawing normal wood.

Jacob Haiduk
06-07-2016, 11:50 AM
I must run the disclaimer that I am not the authority on band saws by any means,but my experience with my previous saw the 18se with a 4.8 hp approximately left me lacking when re sawing hardwoods over 6" . Recognizing anyone can nurse their way through a cut , but I have found when re sawing especially 10" + the slower or longer the band is just running through the material the more heat and cupping and distortion occur to skins. All that said my hope is to have the power to maintain a a steady feed rate while re sawing skins for doors or panels. What would you say is an average thickness you are re sawing? Maybe I am missing the boat with the need for more power thoughts welcome.

David Kumm
06-07-2016, 11:56 AM
Is the 24x24 an ACM machine? I've never heard of the ACM being light in the trunnions. Either the 4.8 or 7.5 motors should be more than enough for resawing. Your problem might be tensioning. If the blade deflects even a little under the stress of resawing, it binds in the kerf and needs more power to cut. My old Oliver has a 3 hp motor ( albiet high torque ) and resaws 14" just fine. In fact I sometimes take the top guides off and run without them for additional clearance. With a Trimaster 1" cranked up to 35,000, the guide becomes irrelevant. Dave

Jacob Haiduk
06-07-2016, 12:25 PM
Sorry Dave ACM? ... The old band saws are a completely different animal worked with an old Oliver for years and then had the pleasure of a 36" Tannewitze . I am no electrician but the size alone in the frame of the motor tells the story there regardless of what the horse power says. As for blade tension I definitely ran a spectrum to test results. The biggest difference came when I started using the Wood Slicer blade with a 1/32 to a 1/16 kerf which led me to believe it was a power issue.

Andrew Hughes
06-07-2016, 1:32 PM
I too have thought about how much cupping I get from heat due to dull blade or high Tpi.Last year I resawed a lot of hickory some 10+ tall.The wood master ct did do a fine job.Zero dust packing in the kerf and the dust laying on the table was not burnt.
Now I sure could feel it in my feet with the tall Resaw,My B20/20 sit on a concrete slab that my live oak tree has done a nice job lifting and cracking.The amount of pressure that's put on a saw frame during resawing is hard to describe but easy to feel.
My saws top wheel hangs on a short stub shaft like a short tenon.I bet the Daves Oliver shaft goes thru the frame and wheel.There's just no comparing to two.
My saw gets the job done and feel confident running expensive wood thru my Aggi.

David Kumm
06-07-2016, 2:53 PM
Laguna used to source their LT 24 through ACM, a company in Italy. ACM, Centauro, and Agazzani were three bandsaw manufacturers all located near each other. Aggi is gone now but ACM still sources some machines to Felder and maybe others here in US. They make good stuff. A 5hp motor on a heavy steel framed saw like ACM, Centauro, or Aggi should be enough. 7.5 is for sure. Dave

Mike Berti
06-07-2016, 8:20 PM
I'll try to answer the OP question:
In my limited experience, such band saw (regardless who built it) is very heavy and stable. If such table wiggles, I guess something must be wrong with the assembly.

Jacob Haiduk
06-07-2016, 8:35 PM
Ok , so the current up date after dealing with a very helpful tech dept. at Laguna is that the base of the trunnion was poorly machined. I would liken it to a 4 legged table with 1 short leg. The base had a low corner and allowed the teeter . A new trunnion is on it's way and hoping that it solve s the problem. And to answer your question Dave it is a ACM made in Italy. As there is any news I will continue to post... thank you for feed back!

Erik Loza
06-08-2016, 2:13 PM
...the base of the trunnion was poorly machined..

How unusual for an Italian saw.

Erik

Jacob Haiduk
06-08-2016, 8:33 PM
I agree it is not the first place i would look for a problem. The only thing I can do is speak to what exists ,and on the trunnion where the two radius shoulders receive the mating steel supports there is only 3 points of contact . The radius segments either on the base or the portion attached to the table are not concentric with one-another . Eager to get this worked out.

Jacob Haiduk
06-15-2016, 10:15 AM
does anyone own the 24inch band saw from Laguna ... would greatly benefit from a conversation with you ...