PDA

View Full Version : Using EM6500 from Target Coatings

John Gregory
06-06-2016, 1:45 PM
Finally we remodeling our kitchen. We are using prefinished Maple Ply for the boxes. The only place the prefinished ply will be exposed in on the underside of the upper cabinets. We are painting the face frames, and doors with EM6500. I want to spray the EM6500 on the bottoms of the upper cabinets. We will be using a primer from Target. If I rough up the bottom panel with sand paper and apply the primer and 2 tops coats, will I be OK? Will the finishes adhere to the prefinished ply adequately?

BTW the face frames will be hard Maple. The doors will be hard maple with MDF raised panels.

Thanks

Jim Becker
06-06-2016, 7:18 PM
You should be good to go. EM6xxx adheres nicely in my experience.

John Gregory
06-07-2016, 5:24 PM
Thanks Jim

David Huston
06-09-2016, 11:28 PM
I had a problem once with it adhering to some factory primed ply that I as using for some shelves. I feel pretty certain that it was just the cheap primer in the ply and not the em6500. Other than that one time I have had great experiences with em6500. I usually just use BIN shellac for primer. I did have some problems a year or two ago with using the target em1000 under the em6500 so use caution if going that route. The BIN stinks and there is some risk with spraying shellac if you don't have a spray booth but it dries crazy fast and sands very smooth.

John Gregory
06-10-2016, 6:49 PM
I did plan to use the recommended primer from Target, I don't think it was the em1000. But I will check before I order.
Thanks