PDA

View Full Version : Is my electric chainsaw dead?

Mark Gibney
06-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Yesterday my Craftsman 16" electric crapped out - it runs but the chain doesn't move.

I took the cover off the chain and made sure it's on the gear (several times) so it's not that.

If I loosen the chain a little it runs the chain for a few seconds and then the chain stops, the motor keeps going.

Do I have a door-stopper or a fixable tool?

I took a couple photos but forgot to take one with the over off, and I'm not where the saw is.

david privett
06-06-2016, 8:50 PM
there has to be a gear reduction in there bet one is stripped , do you have the exploded parts list to verify how it operates?

Bill Bukovec
06-06-2016, 9:19 PM
Sounds like a good time to buy one that says"Stihl" on it.

Don Frank
06-06-2016, 11:21 PM
You also cant go wrong with a makita or dolmar. (same saw) i have the dolmar and its incredible

Mark Gibney
06-06-2016, 11:22 PM
I'll try and get that parts list and have a look see, thanks. If I can't fix it that way Bill is sending me money to buy a Stihl. Or a Makita / Dolmar.

Tom M King
06-07-2016, 7:44 PM
Does it have a clutch like a gas saw, or maybe a key is missing on the shaft with the gear?

Curt Harms
06-08-2016, 10:42 AM
Does it have a clutch like a gas saw, or maybe a key is missing on the shaft with the gear?

I'd be surprised, electric saws don't need a clutch. The motor starts and stops pretty easily. Missing key or stripped gear/spline seems more likely. We have an electric pole saw and that little bugger is handy for homeowner type stuff. It does help to have a smaller lot and long heavy gauge extension cord though.