PDA

View Full Version : John Deere D130 Reviews?

Charles Wiggins
06-06-2016, 10:30 AM
Anyone own one or have experience with them to share?

Malcolm McLeod
06-06-2016, 10:47 AM
Have not owned, but got rid of BORG Cub Cadet rider last year (poor choice for 1.6+ acres). Had to swap blades in first month (to longer 'hi-lift'); lousy turn radius; cutting deck is (expletive); lots of nagging little things to perpetually fix.

Nearly ALL riders at the big boxes are built by MTD under license; even the JDs. If you want JD quality, go to JD dealer - - just rob a bank on the way.

After a year of research, I bought a Hustler zero-turn. Hope this helps.

Charles Wiggins
06-06-2016, 11:31 AM
Have not owned, but got rid of BORG Cub Cadet rider last year (poor choice for 1.6+ acres). Had to swap blades in first month (to longer 'hi-lift'); lousy turn radius; cutting deck is (expletive); lots of nagging little things to perpetually fix.

Nearly ALL riders at the big boxes are built by MTD under license; even the JDs. If you want JD quality, go to JD dealer - - just rob a bank on the way.

After a year of research, I bought a Hustler zero-turn. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input. I'm really looking for a lawn tractors moreso than just a mower, so I don't think a ZT is for me. And I can't afford "JD quality," so the D130 would be my compromise.

Greg Cuetara
06-06-2016, 12:58 PM
as a point of reference a number of years back JD did have all the mowers made by someone else and would not service them if you bought at the BORG and that caused JD to get a big black eye so now all of the mowers you buy at a JD dealership are the same ones you would buy at the BORG and you will get any service you need locally from the JD dealer...

I have an L110 and it works really well. A few issues are that the deck rusted out for my BIL and he gave me the tractor and then I used an older deck and fabricated supports etc. to make it work. I am also having problems with the battery not charging but that is probably pretty typical for a tractor which is over 10 years old...gotta buy new parts once in a while.

Overall I am very happy with the performance.

Mike Cutler
06-06-2016, 4:15 PM
Anyone own one or have experience with them to share?

I have a John Deere X540. I bought it at the same time a co-worker bought his John Deere from Home Depot. Both of us have been happy with our mowers.

From personal insight I can tell you that JD moved, and is in the process of moving, all of their assembly lines back "in house". I'm not certain that MTD makes their mower, or other products, under their license for them any longer.

I think you'll be fine.

Rick Moyer
06-06-2016, 4:56 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm really looking for a lawn tractors moreso than just a mower, so I don't think a ZT is for me. And I can't afford "JD quality," so the D130 would be my compromise.

I have a John Deere X540. I bought it at the same time a co-worker bought his John Deere from Home Depot. Both of us have been happy with our mowers.

From personal insight I can tell you that JD moved, and is in the process of moving, all of their assembly lines back "in house". I'm not certain that MTD makes their mower, or other products, under their license for them any longer.

I think you'll be fine.

That's why I recently bought a 2000 JD 345. I can't afford NEW JD quality, but I could afford older JD quality. I paid $2500 for mine and it's a much better tractor than the D130 IMHO. Only has 350 hours so should last me for as long as want it. The X540 Mike mentions is a great tractor but not price comparable to the D130. I highly recommend you find a used JD, preferable a "garden" tractor as opposed to a "lawn" tractor. If you find one in good shape you shouldn't have any issues. Of course, if you insist on new, you're gonna pay a premium. The 345 was made from 1993-2005 I think, later models being GX345. Mine is Kawasaki water-cooled 20HP, power steering, hydraulic lift, and hydrostatic. The "garden" tractors will have better frames, bigger tires and stronger transmissions. I don't know if they consider the D130 a lawn or garden tractor, haven't looked into the specs, but I would compare the things I mentioned. Of course if your just going to mow, any one will do, but I pull an aerator and dump cart, as well as a spreader. Maybe I have more tractor than I need but I'm very happy with it.

julian abram
06-06-2016, 11:46 PM
Hard to go wrong with any of the JD mowers. I'm sure the D130 would give you many years of good service if you keep the oil and filters changed, regular maintenance, stored out of the weather. I needed to make a riding mower decision about 3 years ago, was thinking about buying one of 100 series JD from Lowes but instead bought an 8 year JD LX279 one owner in excellent condition for $900. Has the water cooled Kawasaki 20hp like Rick's. When you get above the 100 series, the JD's have stouter transmissions and rear ends. Your on the right track with looking at JDs.

daryl moses
06-07-2016, 9:47 AM
JD mowers are hard to beat. I purchased a 275 GT back in 1995 and just replaced it last year with an X500. Had very few problems with the 275 just normal maintenance. I think I only replaced the belts two times in all those years.
The X500 so far has been trouble free and I mow some rough ground. I think and hope you will be well pleased with your purchase.

Larry Guthrie
06-09-2016, 8:49 AM
I bought a D130 back in 2012 from a John Deere ag dealer. It has worked fine, just maintenance (oil, filters, grease). I had to replace the battery this spring, but thats the only repair to date. The price from the dealer was the same as the borgs and they delivered it no charge (20 miles).