PDA

View Full Version : Wish someone would challenge stores to put U.S. goods on aisle end caps for July 4th

William Adams
06-05-2016, 11:49 PM
I think it would be nice for this to become a part of the holiday tradition — stores putting only Made in the U.S. goods on aisle end caps leading up to, and for the 4th of July holiday.

(For those not familiar, the end caps of an aisle are the displays at the ends of the aisles which are usually rotated out more frequently, and which feature goods on sale or clearance).

Mike Henderson
06-06-2016, 12:07 AM
That's a great idea! I don't know how to make it happen, but it's a great idea.

Mike

Bert Kemp
06-06-2016, 12:55 AM
Great Idea
That leaves wally world out they don't sell anything made in the USA:mad:

William Adams
06-06-2016, 6:59 AM
Thanks. Tried to contact one presidential campaign w/ it, will try the others I guess.

Yeah, sad what Wal-Mart has become since Sam Walton passed (though arguably, the transformation was underway before then) — really miss their Mad in America program and willingness to carry U.S. Products w/ higher price points and to feature them in their advertising.

Joe Tilson
06-06-2016, 7:27 AM
Why can't we just ask the store managers to display us product on end caps?

Roger Feeley
06-06-2016, 7:59 AM
Interesting piece on NPR about the Chinese wanting stuff made here (http://www.npr.org/2016/06/02/478576223/chinese-consumers-embrace-new-balances-made-in-usa-label).
Apparently, they like the higher quality.

I like the idea of proudly displaying that a store is doing something right. For instance, I think a store should be able to display that they provide a decent living for their employees. I can usually tell that. If I see the same people in a store for years and they seem to be well dressed, healthy and relaxed, it's an indication that they may be better treated.

I try to buy usa made when I can. My jeans and overalls are USA. I wear New Balance shoes.

Interesting story. My daughter and son in law bought this house built in 1850 that just screamed for 4th of July bunting. It had these high columns that are perfect but the columns aren't evenly spaced. to make it look right, I needed custom made. So I go looking for bunting and I found only one place in the US that can custom make them. I would assume that the company is pretty busy making stuff for political campaigns. Or they ought to be.

Another story. I think it was the Jimmy Carter nomination where they were going to pass out all these little flags to delegates to wave at some point. The night before, somebody looked and every one of the flags said 'made in China'. The campaign had intended that the flags were made in the USA but somebody screwed up. So they gathered a couple of hundred volunteers in a room with gallons of solvent and rubbed the offending point of origin off all those flags. I bet that room stunk!

Stan Calow
06-06-2016, 9:16 AM

They would be embarrassed at how little they have to show. Actually we should be.

William Adams
06-06-2016, 10:42 AM
I dunno, I've been making a conscious effort to buy U.S. goods where appropriate, so am now sporting a Red Kap mechanics belt, as well as a pair of Sperry Topsiders, and rode in to work today on a nifty new folding Montague bike. (will grant that I struck out on the watch band at a local store --- should've probably bought a hand made one instead, but the old one was getting too ratty for even me).

On the gripping hand, do believe in trade (otherwise, we'd be arguing that the Italians should be making whiskey, and the Irish wine --- that grapes for white wines grow well in cold regions while grapes for red do well in warmer climes is maybe the ultimate argument for the naturalness of trade), and also bought some Canadian tools (thanks Lee Valley!), Korean arrows (love Carbon Express Heritage arrows), and German tools (Felo T-handle bit driver, and assortment of bits), as well as a British-made Elemen'tary No. 1 screwdriver (which has a German-made Wiha bit holder).

Rod Sheridan
06-06-2016, 3:44 PM
I think it would be nice for this to become a part of the holiday tradition — stores putting only Made in the U.S. goods on aisle end caps leading up to, and for the 4th of July holiday.

(For those not familiar, the end caps of an aisle are the displays at the ends of the aisles which are usually rotated out more frequently, and which feature goods on sale or clearance).

I think it would be a great idea for the entire year.

Lee Valley Tools identify which of their products are made in Canada or the USA with a small flag in their catalogue, that could also be something for other catalogue stores to promote.........Rod.

Dave Lehnert
06-06-2016, 8:36 PM
I worked in retail for years.
Think it is a great idea.
Think it is a little late to do something like this for this year. Product for endcaps are booked out months in advanced. Buyers are likely booking orders for fall right now. Manufactures offers store buyers discounts on product for endcap placement.

Mike DeHart
06-06-2016, 10:31 PM
Of course, you could shop here. http://www.madeinamericastore.com/. Neat store.

Joe Tilson
06-07-2016, 9:58 AM
Made in America could be North and/or South America. I think it should be, Made in The United States or Made in Canada, etc. Distributors should be made to tell where there products come from and not just distributed by blah blah blah. Some say China only makes poor quality, but according to some Chinese students I know, they do have really good quality in country. I once got some 10" saw blades from New Zealand, which were very good quality, but inexpensive here. As Lee Valley proves, there are good product from other parts of the world. I don't think anyone really disputes that.

Dave Anderson NH
06-07-2016, 10:43 AM
To me Memorial Day is special and a time to remember those Marine buddies of mine who came home in a casket. For a week and a half before the holiday I searched for a replacement American flag of the right size to replace my current 2 1/2 x 4 foot flag. When I replaced it a year ago I was able to find a quality one with sewn stars made in USA. This year no luck. The US made flags of the right size were all cheapo printed fabric and the sewn quality ones were Chinese made. Since I refuse to buy an American flag made outside the US I'm still flying one which is fading from the sun and rain. My flag flies 24/7 and is lit at night. I guess I'll keep up the hunt and when I find one buy 2 or more.

Bill Orbine
06-07-2016, 1:58 PM
To me Memorial Day is special and a time to remember those Marine buddies of mine who came home in a casket. For a week and a half before the holiday I searched for a replacement American flag of the right size to replace my current 2 1/2 x 4 foot flag. When I replaced it a year ago I was able to find a quality one with sewn stars made in USA. This year no luck. The US made flags of the right size were all cheapo printed fabric and the sewn quality ones were Chinese made. Since I refuse to buy an American flag made outside the US I'm still flying one which is fading from the sun and rain. My flag flies 24/7 and is lit at night. I guess I'll keep up the hunt and when I find one buy 2 or more.

Isn't this what you want? .........http://www.americanflags.com/tosustdufl.html

Bill Jobe
06-07-2016, 2:11 PM
Recently purchased a patio umbrella online made by Vescom. Data says origin: USA.

Dave Anderson NH
06-07-2016, 3:53 PM
Thanks Bill Orbine. I was trying to shop locally, but I guess I'll give up and place an order with the source you show.

Bill Jobe
06-07-2016, 4:30 PM
It's Bill Jobe, Dave, but absolutely no offense taken.
I did send them an email asking if my umbrella was made in the US, but have not heard back from them.
I can tell you that their main office is in the Netherlands, so made in USA, not sure. I'm beginning to suspect not. Perhaps you could call the prior to buying. I bought mine on Amazon. Bill

Mike DeHart
06-07-2016, 4:45 PM

will this work for you? http://www.madeinamericastore.com/valley-forge-perma-nylon-u-s-flag-5375.html

Mike

Bill Jobe
06-07-2016, 5:12 PM
Nevermind. My mind was confused as to whether I was responding to an email or a PM. Please dosregard my responce to you message directed to Bill Orbine.

Bert Kemp
06-07-2016, 8:23 PM
+1 Dave Semper Fi ..

Brian Elfert
06-07-2016, 10:54 PM

Chains usually give plans to store managers that dictate what goes on end caps. In some cases manufacturers pay to be on end caps. If a higher up visits a store and the store manager isn't following the plan they will probably hear about it.

To put it simply, store mangers often don't have any say over what goes on end caps.

Brian Elfert
06-07-2016, 11:00 PM
The state of Minnesota requires American flags to be Made in the USA so it is easy to find Made in the USA flags here. I needed to buy a large American flag a few years ago and the cheapest place was to order from the American Legion website. Of course the flags are Made in the USA. It is easy to find American flags made in the USA, but you might have to look online for them.

Walmart does carry stuff Made in the USA. I am sometimes surprised at stuff I find at Walmart that is Made in the USA. A lot of plastic items are still Made in the USA. I thought those would be the most likely to be made in China.

Kev Williams
06-08-2016, 5:38 PM
Just because it says "made in USA" doesn't mean it is. I was unwittingly making such labels for a guy, until I was informed he was putting them on Chinese knockoffs....

And in the -for-what-it's-worth department-- My 1976 Harley Davidson came from the USA factory with a Japanese Hitachi starter motor and Japanese Showa front forks... ;)