PDA

View Full Version : Quickie Drum Sander Outfeed Support

glenn bradley
06-05-2016, 8:25 PM
My shop can get a bit awkward when I am assembling a larger carcass. This means that I sometimes have to use space for a feed path that is less than ideal. For longer stock I have roller stands and other types of supports. I found myself in a situation where I needed something just a bit different. I was drum sanding a top and it was a bit troublesome to support at the outfeed end as it was feeding out over my tablesaw outfeed table. Not so much the "over the outfeed table" that was the trouble. The carcass for a project setting on saw horses right where I wanted to stand was the issue.

The only scrap I seem to have in the shop that does not have a home is the sort of thing I get from throw-away furniture that may have an amount of material I can reuse. These pieces just seem to snow-drift around the shop until consumed. This was an old TV stand from Ikea or the equivalent.

I used a hinge from some other throw-away.

The tablesaw outfeed table has this funky little vise that comes in handy for things (and I guess I just found one more).

I clamp the new whats-it in the vise and gravity drops the leading edge. Now as my long stock comes out of the drum sander, I don't have to be a contortionist in order to provide some last minute support.

338662 . 338663 . 338664
Obviously this won't apply to everyone's shop but, it may trigger some ideas for others.

Scott Cenicola
06-05-2016, 9:05 PM
That looks like a great solution that could be adapted to a lot of different problems. Thanks for posting, I always appreciate the picturess you add when your explaining ideas.

David Linnabary
06-07-2016, 9:26 AM
Thanks Glenn, being a new drum sander owner I find this helpful. My initial shop layout focused on jointer, planer, table saw, then enter the drum sander like an after thought. Still trying to recover the smooth shop flow I had originally. Thankfully my sander is easily mobile.

David