PDA

View Full Version : looking for your preference on form

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-05-2016, 6:56 PM
Here's 3 small cherry vessels. 1st one is 3 7/8" X 3 1/4" Middle one is 4 1/8" X 3 1/4" and the last one is 3 7/8" X 2 3/4". Red & Black detail ink lines. Finished with Gloss varnish.
Each one intentionally a little different in form. So which one if any is your preferred form???

carl mesaros
06-05-2016, 7:08 PM
Not an expert on form, but I like the middle one the best. It seems to offer the best balance to me.

David Delo
06-05-2016, 7:19 PM
In a photo finish..............I pick the one on the right.

Larry Frank
06-05-2016, 7:30 PM
I like the one on the right as it is a thinner form.

Bob Bergstrom
06-05-2016, 7:41 PM
If I use my old anatomy book terms, the one on the left is a little too mesomorphic or round shoulder shorter body style. The middle one appears as a ectomorphic shape longer and leaner, perhaps a little top heavy, the one one the right appears to be ectomorphic or athletic. So my vote is for the one no the right. The shape is like a fine athlete and the proportions and curve relate well to one another.

John K Jordan
06-05-2016, 8:33 PM

Here's 3 small cherry vessels. 1st one is 3 7/8" X 3 1/4" Middle one is 4 1/8" X 3 1/4" and the last one is 3 7/8" X 2 3/4". Red & Black detail ink lines. Finished with Gloss varnish.
Each one intentionally a little different in form. So which one if any is your preferred form???

I prefer the one in the center. To me the shapes of the left and center are fairly close but the one on the left looks a little too "squashed" at the top. I like the openness at the neck in the center, especially compared to the one on the left. I also like the proportionally smaller neck and the wider rim compared to the one on the right. The one on the left looks a little more "plump." The one on the right looks a little thin, BUT... comparing them in the same photo is far different than looking at them one at a time - the eye and brain tend to look at the composition. I have to hold my hands up to block the other two to look at each one individually. When I do that, the one on the right looks better. But the one in the center is still my favorite.

Of course, preference in form design is an extremely subjective thing! There is no absolute. If we all liked the same thing, life would be boring.

BTW, Not directly related to form although you can't easily separate detail from form with the eye since both add to the whole: I like the darker black on the center rim, but it seems to overpower the red band in the middle. The rim and red band on the right look a little more "balanced" to me.

Very nice work. Which is YOUR favorite?

JKJ

Roger Chandler
06-05-2016, 9:06 PM
I think the neck/rim area is more proportional on the one on the right side. The middle form is a bit overpowered by the neck/rim size, and also the left just a bit. Joe, your hollowforms are always nicely done, from what I have seen posted here and on WoW.

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-05-2016, 10:46 PM
John, Thanks for your feedback. Here's my thoughts.
I personally like the shoulder and top rim of #1. The length of the neck & more slender body of #3. I also like the body line from the shoulder down on #2, kinda of heart shaped, but feel the neck is to long & the top rim is to wide. For me # 3 is pretty close to my overall preference,however it should be a little more slender at the bottom. That's my 2 cents.

Leo Van Der Loo
06-05-2016, 11:08 PM
To me the top half of the middle one I like best and the bottom half of the right is my preferred shape, if you can get that combine into one piece I would like it very much :D

Brice Rogers
06-05-2016, 11:23 PM
Joe, can you describe how you applied the red and black ink. I like that feature. Did you apply it over finish to keep it from spreading/soaking in?

John K Jordan
06-05-2016, 11:28 PM
I personally like the shoulder and top rim of #1. The length of the neck & more slender body of #3. I also like the body line from the shoulder down on #2, kinda of heart shaped, but feel the neck is to long & the top rim is to wide. For me # 3 is pretty close to my overall preference,however it should be a little more slender at the bottom. That's my 2 cents.

Another thing I thought of later is the size. The one on the right looks better to me if I imagine it about 10-12" tall, where the one in the center "feels" best imagined as a smaller vessel. All so subjective!

Each of yours would stand well on it's own. Kind of like my three horses - each looks great alone in the field but when they are together I start making comparisons - Tiny is too fat, Sienna looks both bossy and lazy (she is), and Cole, the newest and youngest, looks unsure of himself!

JKJ

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-06-2016, 1:35 AM
I used rapidograph pens. Finish is both under & over the ink lines.

Aaron Craven
06-06-2016, 9:11 AM
For me, it's the thinner form on the right.

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-06-2016, 9:57 AM
Thanks everyone for all your feedback. I find it interesting how everyone see's things, & some times see them differently.