PDA

View Full Version : ULS ILS series top door gas struts

Mike Lassiter
06-05-2016, 5:55 PM
FYI to anyone that may have ULS ILS series laser and need to replace the gas struts that support the top door.

Mine grew weak, and occasionally would drop the top door on my head while I had it up placing material or removing it. The top door is huge as you that have it know. I inquired about the cost of the cylinders. I also did some investigating myself. I got the manufacture from the label on them and checked online to see about getting them direct. The manufacture of mine is Gunden and their part number was easily looked up on their website. ULS cost @ $56 each. Gunden's cost direct was $11.59 each. $23.18 for the 2 struts. Shipping seemed a bit high, but tax, shipping which was $22.65 and both struts came to $50.30.

I am pleased with the whole order process direct from them. It was easy, fast and I got the same parts that ULS put on for a fraction of the cost from ULS. The specs on the struts list 150 pounds force + or - 7 pounds. That's 300 pounds of force! I couldn't compress the new ones ANY and while I did manage to compress the old ones slightly and was skeptical they were in fact weak enough they couldn't hold the top door the news one work great.

Gunden is in New York state, has a excellent website for ordering and looking up what you want.

Brian Lamb
06-05-2016, 8:21 PM
As a heads up, it's Guden.com (http://Guden.com) and they used to have a $50 minimum charge. I bought 4 struts for the same price as two when I was ordering.

Tony Lenkic
06-06-2016, 10:02 AM
Mike,

You can find reasonably price struts at automotive parts dealer. such as NAPA.

Mike Lassiter
06-06-2016, 10:13 AM
As a heads up, it's Guden.com (http://Guden.com) and they used to have a $50 minimum charge. I bought 4 struts for the same price as two when I was ordering.

I didn't include the website because I wasn't sure it was allowed to. Figured I provided enough information without doing that for anyone to locate the right place.

Mike Lassiter
06-06-2016, 10:17 AM
Mike,

You can find reasonably price struts at automotive parts dealer. such as NAPA.

I know. BUT my old struts are still quite strong - I can barely compress them by hand and cannot the new ones at all. Rated at 150 pounds strength. I would be concerned of getting ones strong enough trying to match them up. I doubt NAPA or AutoZone can reference them by Manufacture name and part #. Possibly can, but didn't try. It took me about 10 minutes to locate and order the new ones. And I know they are exactly the same as the ones I had to begin with.

Tony Lenkic
06-06-2016, 11:43 AM
I understand Mike,

Brian Lamb
06-06-2016, 3:31 PM
I didn't include the website because I wasn't sure it was allowed to. Figured I provided enough information without doing that for anyone to locate the right place.

Oh, I don't know if it's not allowed to include a link to a place like that, I thought it was ok, just can't link to your own website. Regardless, my point was that you misspelled Guden, folks might have had a bit of a time finding it with Gunden.

Mike Lassiter
06-06-2016, 3:57 PM
Oh, I don't know if it's not allowed to include a link to a place like that, I thought it was ok, just can't link to your own website. Regardless, my point was that you misspelled Guden, folks might have had a bit of a time finding it with Gunden.
yea, you have a point. :rolleyes: