PDA

View Full Version : Might be a dumb question but....

jeffrey bailey
06-05-2016, 11:05 AM
I am currently assembling a Grizzly table saw I purchased and am to the point of cleaning the trunions and worm gears. The manual says to put lithium grease on them when they are clean. Should I use white lithium grease "spray" or white lithium grease from a tube? I am inclined to use the spray because it seems the grease from the tube will clog up with sawdust. Any help?

lowell holmes
06-05-2016, 11:18 AM
I don't know that it matters, but the only time I lubricated my trunnions I used white lithium grease. I haven't experienced any issues with the grease. My saw is 16 years old and I lubed it early on.

jeffrey bailey
06-05-2016, 11:21 AM
So you are saying the tube type grease and not the spray grease

Peter Kelly
06-05-2016, 11:24 AM
Tube grease. The spray-on stuff will dry out pretty quickly.

Richard McComas
06-05-2016, 3:52 PM
I hear this quite often when this subject comes up'

"Paste wax is an excellent low speed lubricant for gears and will not attract or hold grease. Applied annually will keep you saw working smoothly. "

John McClanahan
06-05-2016, 8:29 PM
I agree with using wax on the turning and elevation and tilt gears. Even if the gears run dry, I doubt they will ever wear out.

John

Jim Andrew
06-05-2016, 9:33 PM
I have used the spray. The thinner dries away and leaves the grease.

Charles Lent
06-06-2016, 6:33 AM
I've been using paste wax, either Johnsons or Butchers, applied with an old tooth brush to lubricate ways and gears in my Unisaw and other woodworking machinery. I've been doing this for well over 30 years with no problems. It doesn't attract and hold sawdust like the sticky greases do, so you won't need to remove and replace it as often. In fact, I don't usually even try to remove it, just add more about every 6 months. I use a Teflon based lubricant for bearing surfaces and places that rotate where the paste wax isn't a good choice.

Charley

Frederick Skelly
06-06-2016, 6:53 AM
Lithium grease here. The tube grease. 10 years and no problems.