PDA

View Full Version : West System tip

Larry Edgerton
06-05-2016, 6:33 AM
If you are like me and buy pump sets and use very little 207, you will have a new 207 pump around extra.

Take the pump and put the 1 gallon extension in the pump kit on it, and now it will screw onto a gallon can of Sunnyside alcohol or acetone. Much more convenient, and if you need it the pump is still there.

Sam Murdoch
06-05-2016, 8:40 AM
Good idea. I stopped using the pumps because I use West so irregularly that the pump invariably clogged up and stopped working. Also they tend to dribble so I found it best to leave the can standing over a catch basin of some sort. These days I just use a digital scale and measure out my portions. This tip could get me back to a pump set up.

Wade Lippman
06-05-2016, 9:55 AM
I am sorry, but I don't understand what you are getting at.

My pumps have been in for 10 years now and work fine. The epoxy is dark brown, but it works fine also.

Sam Murdoch
06-05-2016, 10:51 AM
I am sorry, but I don't understand what you are getting at.

My pumps have been in for 10 years now and work fine. The epoxy is dark brown, but it works fine also.

No need to be sorry :) - I'm the one who is sorry that mine always go to crap. Maybe I'm just a messier epoxy user - in any case - I will avail myself of Larry's idea or keep the pumps off altogether.

Larry Edgerton
06-05-2016, 5:51 PM
Sam, when the pumps get gooked up, I put the pump in a can with acetone and pump a few times, and then dribble a bit on the stem where in goes into the pump and work them a few times. It brings them to life. I use a lot of it but sometimes I get a big house and am not in the shop for a long time and have had that happen.

I use it on all exterior doors, and most furniture builds.