PDA

View Full Version : mildew growing in wood storage

Susumu Mori
06-04-2016, 9:36 PM
Hi all,

I am using a crawling space beneath an addition for a wood storage space. It is just outside my shop in the walk-out basement and is very convenient. The soil has been very dry throughout the year. So, I laid a tarp sheet and store my stocks above 2x4 frames. I haven't had any problems until this year. In Maryland, we had a very wet month in May and I found my stocks feel damp and covered by mildew. My cheap moisture meter reads 15-16%, while usually they are 10-12% range.

I guess my question is, should I worry about my stocks? Some of them are very expensive and I don't want loose them.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bradley Gray
06-04-2016, 10:29 PM
I think you should worry about your stocks. Did you lay a cheap poly tarp on the ground? If so, I would upgrade to polyethylene sheeting, 4 mil or better 6 mil. Air movement is a factor also. If you can install a fan or ? to keep air moving in the space.

The problem is especially bad in wet, warming conditions when the air warms faster than your lumber, causing condensation. If you had a fan you could deploy at these times it would help.

Jim Andrew
06-05-2016, 10:23 AM
Sounds as though you really need a dehumidifier. Air movement is good, but damp air is a problem.