PDA

View Full Version : And another Applewood bowl

Leo Van Der Loo
06-04-2016, 2:56 PM
This is another one of the returned Applewood bowls, this from spalted Applewood, and this one also sat for several years, nice dry and solid.

Yes all comments welcome :)
338588 338589 338590 338591 338592

Brad Barnhart
06-04-2016, 3:09 PM
Beautiful work, Mr. Leo!!

Roger Chandler
06-04-2016, 3:25 PM
This is nice, Leo! You know, most of the time when I see apple, it is almost always pretty wood. The grain features and lines just make for interesting looking projects. Glad you could keep it together without a lot of cracks........down south here, it seems to crack pretty quickly, so one has to basically roughout quickly and then get it coated with anchorseal and bagged with shavings in short order. Is that pretty much how you do it up in Canada, Leo?

Sid Matheny
06-04-2016, 6:45 PM
Another fine job Leo! I love apple and have had good luck with it.

daryl moses
06-04-2016, 6:46 PM
Beautiful piece of wood and beautiful execution.
Just goes to show that a bowl needs no embellishments when it's turned to perfection.

Mark Greenbaum
06-04-2016, 10:01 PM
That is some interesting wood, and a great form Leo. I'd love to get something like that to try. Thanks for posting.

Bob Bergstrom
06-04-2016, 10:14 PM
Got to love turning apple. Hard ,but comes off in such nice curls. Great job Leo. Love the look.

Mel Fulks
06-04-2016, 10:16 PM
Looks like copper with some gold leaf, beautiful.

Glenn C Roberts
06-04-2016, 10:56 PM
Just did some quince, and the wood looks to be very similar. Wonder if it is. Mine didn't turn out as good as yours though. Excellent craftsmanship.

Leo Van Der Loo
06-05-2016, 1:14 PM
Beautiful work, Mr. Leo!!

Thanks for looking Brad :)

This is nice, Leo! You know, most of the time when I see apple, it is almost always pretty wood. The grain features and lines just make for interesting looking projects. Glad you could keep it together without a lot of cracks........down south here, it seems to crack pretty quickly, so one has to basically roughout quickly and then get it coated with anchorseal and bagged with shavings in short order. Is that pretty much how you do it up in Canada, Leo?

Thanks Roger :), This bowl and most of them get not a single split in them, some that have knots do get small checks in the knots, them being endgrain are harder to prevent from splitting, though CA does help often to prevent it.

Most important part is to start with wood that has no checks or splits, thin slice from the ends and bend it will show if there is any, then turn it in one session, immediately place it in a brown paper bag with nothing else in it like sawdust/shavings, store it in a cool draft-free place and check up on it a few times in the early stage, after that forget about it for a month or two.

Another fine job Leo! I love apple and have had good luck with it.

Thank you Sid :D, it is nice wood to turn isn’t, I love it also.

Beautiful piece of wood and beautiful execution.

Just goes to show that a bowl needs no embellishments when it's turned to perfection.

Thanks Daryl :D, the thing with embellishment is that it often is a place that is hard to keep clean easily, usually not liked in a salad bowl

That is some interesting wood, and a great form Leo. I'd love to get something like that to try. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Mark :), Applewood is quite common most everywhere, nicer and easier wood to turn than most, just make sure you dry it slowly.

Got to love turning apple. Hard ,but comes off in such nice curls. Great job Leo. Love the look.

Thanks for the reply Bob, yes nice wood to turn :)

Looks like copper with some gold leaf, beautiful.

Thanks Mel :), making the pictures outside brings out and shows the color well, it is really nice wood when finished well.

Just did some quince, and the wood looks to be very similar. Wonder if it is. Mine didn't turn out as good as yours though. Excellent craftsmanship.

Thanks Glenn :), I never seen or turned Quince Glenn, at my Mothers home they had a quince tree, but my grandpa had to cut it down to build a barn :(

It is also a fruitwood, and being in the same family as Pear and Apple (Rosaceae) there is certainly a good chance that the wood does look similar, would be nice if you showed some pictures of it :)

Glenn C Roberts
06-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Leo wrote: "It is also a fruitwood, and being in the same family as Pear and Apple (Rosaceae) there is certainly a good chance that the wood does look similar, would be nice if you showed some pictures of it :)"

Ok, but beware: Cover one eye. They are some of my first bowls, and they don't compare to the quality of the more experienced turners here!

Hopefully, the pics came thru.

Leo Van Der Loo
06-07-2016, 12:51 AM
Leo wrote: "It is also a fruitwood, and being in the same family as Pear and Apple (Rosaceae) there is certainly a good chance that the wood does look similar, would be nice if you showed some pictures of it :)"

Ok, but beware: Cover one eye. They are some of my first bowls, and they don't compare to the quality of the more experienced turners here!

Hopefully, the pics came thru.

I can see a couple of pictures attached to each other Glen, but too small to get a good look at the wood, too bad, but thanks for trying :)