PDA

View Full Version : Applewood bowl

Leo Van Der Loo
06-04-2016, 2:47 PM
This winter and spring I have been seeking out and returning some Applewood bowls, found more of them that I thought I still had :).

This is one of them, has been sitting since 2004, a very nice looking wood I turned into a good user bowl in a simple basic shape, I’m pleased with it :D

All comments welcome :)

338583 338584 338585 338586

Roger Chandler
06-04-2016, 3:26 PM
Now that is a looker! I really like this one, Leo!

daryl moses
06-04-2016, 6:42 PM
Looks great Leo. I love to turn "user" bowls. And love it when the recipient "uses" it.
Even though this is a "simple basic shape" the finish is what sets it apart from just any simple bowl.

Curtis Myers
06-05-2016, 1:40 AM
Looks like cherry.
does it turn anything like cherry?

all the best
curt

David C. Roseman
06-05-2016, 11:48 AM
This winter and spring I have been seeking out and returning some Applewood bowls, found more of them that I thought I still had :).

This is one of them, has been sitting since 2004, a very nice looking wood I turned into a good user bowl in a simple basic shape, I’m pleased with it :D [snip]

Very nice Leo! But don't you think you might be rushing the drying on those roughouts?

Leo Van Der Loo
06-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Now that is a looker! I really like this one, Leo!

Thanks Roger :), it is a nice wood to turn, though I personally like some more grain and different coloration in the wood.

Looks great Leo. I love to turn "user" bowls. And love it when the recipient "uses" it.
Even though this is a "simple basic shape" the finish is what sets it apart from just any simple bowl.

Thanks Daryl :), yes “dust collectors" seem to be all the rage, though I tend to go more for “users” and of course they should be good looking as well, who wants to have an “ugly” one ;)

Looks like cherry.
does it turn anything like cherry?

all the best
curt

Thanks Curtis :), the color is often different but can have that reddish color like Cherry, Apple has less showing of the early/late wood, it is a more dense wood, and often with different colors within the wood, turns nicer than Cherry, just needs more care (slow) in drying.

Leo Van Der Loo
06-05-2016, 11:58 AM
Very nice Leo! But don't you think you might be rushing the drying on those roughouts?

David it isn’t in me to rush things like drying wood :D, thanks for looking and reply :)