PDA

View Full Version : Bristlecone Mallet?

Mark Rice
06-04-2016, 2:13 AM
I have a friend that has a stack of Bristlecone pine logs that he offered to me for a work bench top. They removed a lot of dead Bristlecone from some properties after the High Park fire. I declined. I couldn't get enought for a good top and it would seem like such a waste of a rare wood to use for a workbench top. It still got me thinking. It is real dense and a small piece might make for a good mallet head. I have never worked with Bristlecone before. Has anyone here worked with Bristlecone?

Malcolm Schweizer
06-04-2016, 8:28 AM
Never used it, but I would love to see pictures. All the examples I have seen were very twisty and checked, but it seems it would be a beautiful grain pattern.

Mark Rice
06-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Never used it, but I would love to see pictures. All the examples I have seen were very twisty and checked, but it seems it would be a beautiful grain pattern.
If I get decide to get some I will post pics. The grain is real tight. Most of his logs are 4" to 8". He has one that is about 12". Some are straight and some are what I would normally consider firewood if they were regular pine.