PDA

View Full Version : Wiring an old table saw

Brian Kent
06-04-2016, 12:00 AM
From my son's father-in-law:

I finally got up the nerve to plug in my rebuilt table saw.
Nothing exploded, but the motor is running backwards.

I could put the blade in backwards and cut from the bottom up, but......

Do you or any of your woodworking buddies know how to reverse a 240 VAC single phase dual capacitor motor?

I know it has to do with reversing the fields, but I would rather get it right the first time.

Here is a photo of the caps and their wiring.

Thanks

Dave

Charles Lent
06-04-2016, 6:47 AM
Most single phase motors that can be easily reversed have a wiring diagram on the under side the cover where you connect the power cord. Some Delta saw motors (contractor saw) have a label attached on the outside of the motor under the motor nameplate. It usually lists the connections for high (240) and low (120) VAC as well. I suggest that you start by looking for this diagram.

Charley

Mike Kees
06-04-2016, 10:17 AM
What Charley said... Usually all that is required is to switch two wires for either clockwise or counter clockwise. Your picture looks like you have the cover off of your capacitors. on all the motors i have switched rotation on the wires are in the box where the switch wire connects to (main wiring box). Hope this helps.

Mike Cutler
06-04-2016, 12:24 PM
Does he know, and can he tell you who made the motor? Ordinarily the reversal is done on the terminal strip when the wiring comes in.

http://www.eltafantechasia.com/Brochures/Section%20M/WiringDiag.pdf