PDA

View Full Version : Quartz countertop installation question.

Michael Weber
06-03-2016, 9:07 PM
Does 3cm thick Quartz countertop require a solid sub base? The cabs just have a 4 inch wood strip across the front and back. I removed the tiled countertop and the tile was mortared down to plywood. I would prefer to omit the plywood if possible as it would put the new tops at almost 38 inches from the floor. Thanks

Victor Robinson
06-03-2016, 9:22 PM
Does 3cm thick Quartz countertop require a solid sub base? The cabs just have a 4 inch wood strip across the front and back. I removed the tiled countertop and the tile was mortared down to plywood. I would prefer to omit the plywood if possible as it would put the new tops at almost 38 inches from the floor. Thanks

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe in general 3cm is fine without plywood. 2cm requires it. I'd check with the specific manufacturer though (Pental, Ceasarstone, etc.) because they may have specific installation requirements and will not honor the warranty if not followed.

Andy Giddings
06-03-2016, 11:32 PM
Michael, we've just had our bathroom countertop professionally installed on cabinets I built. Countertop is 3 cm quartz and the cabinets have 4 inch wide strips across front and back. Strips are 3/4 birch ply. So no need for solid sub base (would get in the way of any sinks or cutouts in any case)

Michael Weber
06-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Thanks Victor and Andy