PDA

View Full Version : Lens questions for Fiber users--

Kev Williams
06-03-2016, 10:19 AM
I'm pulling the trigger on a 30w fiber today. Since I already have a large job coming in for it etching 6" diameter anodized parts, I'm ordering it with a 150mm lens... What's the "realistic" engraving area with a 150 lens? I'm also considering getting a second 110mm lens, since another job in the pipe involves very small stainless parts, plus the fact many other jobs won't require 6" of working area--- Are fiber lenses similar to C02's, in that shorter focal lengths equal tighter and hotter beam spots? Or the simple question: will a 110 lens engrave a piece of SS .003" deep faster than a 150 lens?

Time is my worst enemy, and any way I can find to save some is worth it to me!

thanks!

Gary Hair
06-03-2016, 10:55 AM
A 150 won't give you enough working area, I'd go with 175 if you can. I know 150mm is 5.9", but you really can't go out to the extreme edges of the working area and expect to get full power and consistent results. Since they are ano you can get away with more than deep marking, but I'd still go with 175. I have a 110 that I bought with my first fiber and I've used it about 3 times... I'm pretty sure the spot size is smaller and the power density would be higher, but in reality, it won't make much difference. If you really want a 110, I'll sell you mine - I'm not going to need it,,, ever. I mark tons of firearms, stainless, aluminum, etc., and the time it takes is minimal and I don't think that you'll see a difference with a 110. If you really need to mark lots of parts quickly then spend the money on another fiber, not another lens. Just my .02

Kev Williams
06-03-2016, 2:15 PM
175-- much appreciated Gary! :)

Gary Hair
06-03-2016, 3:03 PM
What are you buying Kev?

Kev Williams
06-03-2016, 5:34 PM
This thing...

--If I had the money, I have room for 3 of them where the ULS used to sit ;)
If the work keeps coming, who knows... :D

What I DO know is that I'm about tired of the constant tool sharpening, noise & rattled nerves that goes with tool engraving metals...

Keith Winter
06-03-2016, 7:52 PM
Kev that looks like an bad design from a safety standpoint. The power button is located right next to the beam path and the emergency stop is also right next to the beam path. Have you seen one in action, is it as bad as it looks from that angle?

Probably not a deal killer I'd rather say something before you spend hard earned $$$ on it.

This thing...

--If I had the money, I have room for 3 of them where the ULS used to sit ;)
If the work keeps coming, who knows... :D

What I DO know is that I'm about tired of the constant tool sharpening, noise & rattled nerves that goes with tool engraving metals...

Kev Williams
06-03-2016, 8:49 PM
I've seen this basic design all over the 'net:

FS (although I can't find this on their website)

Hans

XT

Bodor

--The Bodor above looks like the same machine. As for safety, not that I live with reckless abandon (but then, you HAVE seen pics of my place ;) ), I see nothing wrong with it.

A galvo fiber has one moving part...my main concern is that that one moving part aims the beam where I want it with a fair amount of reliability, and my goal is that it can do a fair percentage of the work I'm currently doing with cutter tools and Cermark. We shall see... :)

Keith Winter
06-03-2016, 8:58 PM
Ok it's fine I'm sure, and sure to be a fun new toy! :)

Neville Stewart
06-05-2016, 6:43 AM
You fire the laser from the laptop so I wouldn't worry about that but that type table is a pain unless you're doing multiple same height parts, which I guess you are but be advised. A motorized table would be great though.

Kev Williams
06-06-2016, 3:08 PM
Hand-cranking a table ain't no big deal to me. And the vast majority of work I do is in multiples. My big Triumph has a stationary table, a bit inconvenient at times (since it weighs about 60#) but I make do. The fact it IS stationary has made it possible for me to engrave parts up to 18" long x 12" wide by 36" TALL (which I do fairly regularly), something I wouldn't be able to do with motorized table machine.

McGuiver has nothing on me! ;)

Neville Stewart
06-06-2016, 3:29 PM
Funny you should say that. Ive been thinking of converting mine to a swivel arm like a radial arm saw so I could swing it off the table for odd sized parts, and Ive hade a few so far. Id still prefer adjusting the tower versus the table any day.

matthew knott
06-06-2016, 7:12 PM
That thing will have a limited marking area as the galvo head is close to the main body of the machine ,also you are limited on height , I don't think you could go much bigger than a 254 lens with it and that gives you around 200x200mm ! I guess it's a nice compact thing all built into one box , and if your only marking small parts it will do the job fine! Make sure it has a red laser pointer for setting up jobs, and buy some decent laser glasses , not the crap they sell from China ! Noir make good ones that don't cost the earth, have proper glass clear lenses and US quality,
Enjoy