PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail layout clamp: has anyone seen something like this?

John Vernier
06-02-2016, 2:50 PM
So, there's this item on the auction site right now which is listed as a "Shaker layout clamp," item 182144609905. Take a look if you like, but it's basically a light, fixed-length wooden bar clamp with a screw grip at one end, and pairs of scribed lines carefully and evenly spaced along its length which could well be for laying out the dovetails on a carcase.

Leaving aside whether or not this is a Shaker piece, and what the seller thinks it is worth, is this a tool anyone has seen before, and does it make sense as such? The inside length of the clamp is 27", with a screw length which might close on a carcase slab of 24-25". It seems to me that its layout would work only on a slab of a single width, unless one introduced spacer blocks, which doesn't seem convenient. I could see an adjustable version of this working for different sizes of carcase, but it doesn't lend itself to the kind of flexible dovetail spacing which is typical of most hand-cut dovetail work I have seen. I'm pretty much dismissing it's use for drawers, which the seller thinks it is for.

I would make up one of these to try out, but I think it would only make practical sense if I was cranking out a bunch of similar depth carcases production style, which isn't likely anytime soon. I'm filing the idea away for later, but I'm curious what you all think of this thing.

Tim Bridge
06-02-2016, 3:04 PM
$450 seems pretty high for a stick.

Malcolm Schweizer
06-02-2016, 3:07 PM
It could be for laying out dovetails, but it would only work for one size of board. I would value it at about $15 and would not personally buy it for $15. The whole collectable tool market is just plain silly these days. There is a signed LN corrugated no 2 for over $2000 right now on ebay. I have some corrugated toilet paper that Thomas Lie- Nielsen did a no 2 on. I'm asking $5000.

Andrew Pitonyak
06-02-2016, 3:35 PM
I have some corrugated toilet paper that Thomas Lie- Nielsen did a no 2 on. I'm asking $5000.

You are a very very bad man in the best sort of way! :D

What would you charge if he had done a no 8 on it.... :eek:

More seriously, any value to this is not likely as a value add to the work that I would do, but as an interesting piece of history. That said, I have no interest in the item. Tempted to follow it just to see if someone buys it.

I must say, however, if someone offered me a bunch of money for some of my old tools, I would likely sell them and purchase modern if the quality is similar or better.... and then use the left overs to buy MORE TOOLS!

Jim Koepke
06-02-2016, 5:37 PM
Those would be some very deep drawers. Maybe the seller has no idea what he has and thinks that makes it more valuable.

I would make up one of these to try out, but I think it would only make practical sense if I was cranking out a bunch of similar depth carcases production style, which isn't likely anytime soon. I'm filing the idea away for later, but I'm curious what you all think of this thing.

I use something similar to lay out dovetails:

(this if from a project back in March of 2010)

It doesn't have the screw clamp but it is simple to center on any size piece to mark dovetails.

Mine was set to accommodate my chisel sizes. It is easy to have different layouts on the same piece for different tail to pin ratios. There are a few of these for different projects laying around my shop. If my project has a story stick, one side of the story stick will usually have a dovetail layout if there are any used.

jtk

John Vernier
06-02-2016, 6:22 PM
Jim, That's pretty much the way I approach this sort of project. What surprises me about the object in question is that it clearly took somebody a little time to make up, but it's hardly flexible enough to justify the labor involved. I could see making tick-marks on an existing bar clamp for the purpose, but not a specially make appliance.

John Kananis
06-02-2016, 7:45 PM
Ummm... Use a set of dividers and a thread tool and make your own - must have been for carcass construction (too big for drawers).

Jim Koepke
06-02-2016, 8:40 PM
I could see making tick-marks on an existing bar clamp for the purpose, but not a specially make appliance.

Maybe it was a slow day in the shop? :o

It could also be the same cabinet/blanket chest was being made over and over.

Maybe it was the Shaker version of an April Fools joke. :eek:

jtk

Cody Kemble
06-02-2016, 8:57 PM
Maybe it was the Shaker version of an April Fools joke. :eek:

Only if it comes with a custom sling so you always have it handy.

Warren Mickley
06-02-2016, 9:43 PM
I think it is a 19th century bar clamp. If you look closely the markings are saw kerfs maybe almost 1/16 deep. A lot of clamps like this had a shoe that slid along the beam and was held by notches or grooves in the beam. When there was no pressure on the shoe it was free to move along the beam; with pressure it would hold.

What would make sense for this clamp is if the kerfs were on the bottom and the shoe had two metal ridges 3/4" apart that engaged the kerfs. The shoe is missing.

Frederick Skelly
06-03-2016, 7:13 AM
I have some corrugated toilet paper that Thomas Lie- Nielsen did a no 2 on. I'm asking $5000.

Ackk! Phftt! Sputter! Spit! Gaaasp!!!! (Coffee all over the monitor again.)
Good one Malcolm! Do let us know if you get any offers on that. :D

Rob Luter
06-03-2016, 7:43 AM
I think it is a 19th century bar clamp. If you look closely the markings are saw kerfs maybe almost 1/16 deep. A lot of clamps like this had a shoe that slid along the beam and was held by notches or grooves in the beam. When there was no pressure on the shoe it was free to move along the beam; with pressure it would hold.

What would make sense for this clamp is if the kerfs were on the bottom and the shoe had two metal ridges 3/4" apart that engaged the kerfs. The shoe is missing.

I concur. I've seen these before. It's an adjustable bar clamp that's missing a part.