PDA

View Full Version : panel insert for sub-zero

Adam Herman
06-02-2016, 2:19 PM
I need to build a panel to match painted shaker doors for a sub-zero 690. the panels slide into a 1/4 grove around the perimeter of the doors. my first thought was to use a sheet of 1/4 birch ply and apply the poplar 3/8 or 1/4 thick rails and styles to it. (match the reveal of the cabinet doors) Is this the best way? I am concerned the corner joints will open up as the 1/4 ply is quite flexible. also, getting 3/8 thick stock will be milled elseware as i do not have a planer or jointer. Rails are about 3 in wide. any other, better, options for this project? I also want to keep this fairly thin as it opens against the wall and every bit of panel will keep the door from opening to 90 a bit more.

John TenEyck
06-02-2016, 3:20 PM
Best way? I don't know but t certainly will work. An alternative approach is to use stock the same thickness as your cabinet doors, plus 1/4", and mill rabbets in the outside stiles and rails so they will slide into that 1/4" grove in the door. That would allow you to use standard frame and panel construction, and would eliminate any concern about the corner joints opening up.

John