PDA

View Full Version : Nova Voyager drill press

Susumu Mori
06-02-2016, 8:22 AM
This drill press from Teknatool was introduced, I guess, in 2014 and seems finally available here;

http://www.novatoolsusa.com/NEW-NOVA-VOYAGER-DVR-Drill-Press-58000.htm

I have been looking around for a drill press, which has been a topic of this forum many times; Delta 18-900 looks good but there is some doubt about the company and Powermatic PM2800 is receiving mixed reviews. Anything better than these, especially made in USA, are for industrial uses with $4,000+. Anything less than these look like copies from the same manufacturer.

I wonder if anybody has purchased this drill press from Teknatool. For the function it offers, the price seems competitive. I believe their lathes are considered as premium although I'm not a turner and not quite familiar with this company.

Any info would be appreciated.

thanks.

glenn bradley
06-02-2016, 8:39 AM
I will be following this as a decent drill press for under $2500 has been one of my goals for years. The Nova goes slow enough for woodworking which is one failing of many offered for that purpose today. The swing is wide enough so it will boil down to the current offering's main failure (for me); vertical quill slop. If Nova has addressed this very simple function and the low end torque is there, they will probably get my money.

Dick Strauss
06-02-2016, 9:30 AM
Nova lathes are usually considered mid to mid-high grade by most experienced turners I believe.

I commend them for trying to add new technology to machinery designs that have remained very stagnant for years.

The drill press sounds great on paper! I would be concerned with the proprietary DVR motor and all of the electronics. I would be curious to know how many issues they have had with their DVR motors/controllers to get some idea about long term reliability.

In the case of electronic variable speed lathes like the Jet 1642/40 and Powermatic 3520, their speed controllers (VFDs) are not proprietary.

Have you two considered buying a used three phase metal working DP and adding a VFD to it?

Cary Falk
06-02-2016, 10:52 AM
I have restored a fair amount of old iron and ended up selling all of it for one reason or another so I don't normally suggest it. The only piece of old iron that I will keep until I probably die is my PM1200 drill press. I can't get anything better then it for 2 x what I paid for it. I would have bought a 20" Clausing also if it would have presented itself first. If your are east of the Mississippi they are all over the place compared to out here.

Andrew Pitonyak
06-02-2016, 2:02 PM
It looks like you can tell it the hole size that you are drilling.... Is that to let it then choose a speed at which to drill?

Looks nice.

Susumu Mori
06-02-2016, 2:45 PM
Yes, it looks almost too nice for the price.
I want somebody to try it before I do :D

David T gray
06-02-2016, 5:05 PM
just bought one ill get u guys a full review once it arrives at this price it better be magical compared to my $300 from lowes.

Larry Edgerton
06-02-2016, 5:16 PM
I read every word I could find on it, not much, and really like what I see, but without seeing one first hand I am uneasy. I have a big Walker Turner, but want something smaller, quicker.

glenn bradley
06-02-2016, 5:20 PM
just bought one ill get u guys a full review once it arrives at this price it better be magical compared to my $300 from lowes.

That's great David! Looking forward to it.

Bruce Page
06-02-2016, 5:30 PM
Looks like a nice DP. I wonder what the price increase will be on the production machines.

pat warner
06-02-2016, 5:32 PM
" boil down to the current offering's main failure (for me); vertical quill slop."
Has mechanical (nuts) stop and a readout (+ audible signal) of where the drill point is!
So it signals the operator that he's nearing the end of travel, (total 6" quill up/down).

Susumu Mori
06-02-2016, 6:11 PM
David, you are the man!!

Dan Friedrichs
06-02-2016, 10:50 PM
That "On" button looks like the membrane is going to get broken in no time, and the pictures of the screen look like the contrast varies pretty badly between pixels/lines. Hopefully the production units look better...

Bruce Page
06-02-2016, 11:38 PM
Dan, not necessarily. The programmable DRO buttons on my milling machine are the membrane type and they have been pushed hundreds, if not thousands of times. No failures.

Larry Edgerton
06-03-2016, 7:09 AM
Susumu, David, is the pre-production price $1499-20%, or will the price increase 20% from there when in production. If it is 20% off of the $1499 I will order one.

Thanks, Larry

Susumu Mori
06-03-2016, 7:20 AM
If I remember correctly, this site used to offer $1,499 - 20% discount, but I no longer see the "-20%" part anymore.
So I assume the pre-production units are gone, but I'm not 100% sure.

David T gray
06-03-2016, 1:07 PM
total price with shipping was $1399 bought a Albrecht chuck b/c you know got it at a discount Lol .. warranty is 2 years on the electronics and 5 on every thing else

heres the main things that stand out to me every thing else just looks like normal dill press

User Set DepthThe “User Set Depth” feature allows the user to quickly set the drilling depth. This is essentially an electronic depth stop that willgive warning beeps when approaching the set depth and stop the motor when the depth has been reached.To activate the User Set Depth feature, simply select the feature in the menu and set a depth to drill. The drilling depth can beset using the / keys or Speed Dial. Pressing will reset the value to OFF. Press the button to savethe depth selection and return to the main screen, or press to cancel any changes.When the “User Set Depth” is activated, the current set depth will show on the main screen. When the feature is disabled, thevalue will be blank. When drilling to the set depth, the machine will start beeping at 0.5” (or 10mm in Metric mode), and thebeeping will become more rapid as the drill gets closer to the set depth. The motor will finally turn off once the set depth hasbeen reached and the machine will revert to idle.To turn off the “User Set Depth”, press the button followed by the button.XXX-XXXX-XXX17Self-Start

The “Self-Start” feature enables a one-handed drilling operation by automatically turning on and off the motor at predeterminedstart depths. The motor will start running at 0.29”/7mm and stop once it returns to 0.24”/6mm.For reference, the programming includes the following characteristics:a. After this feature has been turned on, the handle must be raised to the top of the quill stroke before the first"self-start" can begin.b. If the user is in the menu while the machine is idle, the self-start will not START, but it will STOP if the machineis running with the quill extended, the feature is activated, and the handle is raised to the stop point.c. By default, the safety feature including warning sounds and a delay before the motor self-starts is turned OFF.This setting can be accessed through the following menu path: Menu>Configuration>DrillSettings>Sounds/Warnings.

Advanced ModesPilot HoleThe “Pilot Hole” feature enables the user to skip the separate operation of drilling a pilot hole (in most cases) for locating alarger drill bit. Using this feature, the machine will begin drilling at a slower speed, and once the bit is seated and grabs enoughmaterial, the machine will sense this and ramp up to the set run speed. The machine determines this by sensing the load placedon the motor and responding when load threshold (this value is determined by the selected material) has been reached.To enable the “Pilot Hole” feature, simply toggle “Slow Start” to ON, set the start speed (250 by default), and selectOther/Metal/Wood. Metal will set the load threshold the highest, followed by Wood and then Other requires the smallestincrease in load to ramp up.IMPORTANT: Once the drill begins running after “Pilot Hole” is turned on, the display will first show “Pilot Initialize” at thebottom and then change to “Pilot Ready” when fully initialized. Allow the machine to reach the pilot speed and fully initializebefore drilling. If drilling begins prematurely, the load sensing will not calculate correctly, and the drill likely will not ramp up tofull speed at the appropriate time.

Tapping ModeThe tapping feature has two options for programmed cycles for tapping. Both modes require the user to manually feed the tap duringtapping and should only be used when starting the drill in the Forward direction.1. Load Sense – This mode will use the load sensor to determine when it has started tapping and enter a chip breaking cycle. Thiscycle uses the load sensor to determine when the drill needs to switch to reverse to chip break for a fixed amount of time, andthen returns to forward to tap again. This repeats until the drill press senses the tapping is complete via the load OR if the userpresses the button.NOTE: Recommended for through-hole tapping only.2. Chip Breaker – This mode will use the load sensor to determine when it has started tapping and enter a chip breaking cycle. Thiscycle uses a fixed amount of time before switching to reverse to chip break for a fixed amount of time, and then it returns toforward to tap again. This repeats until the drill press senses the tapping is complete via the load OR if the user presses the button.

Susumu Mori
06-03-2016, 1:18 PM
Thanks David.

Do you see any significant advantage of the direct drive?
I thought this unit doesn't have pulleys and a belt. Should be quieter and smoother?

David T gray
06-03-2016, 1:23 PM
no clue they said it will ship within 2 weeks so ill know when it arrives, that info is just from a manual they sent me this morning

Susumu Mori
06-03-2016, 4:08 PM
Oh, that's right. Look forward to your report in 2 weeks!

Larry Edgerton
06-04-2016, 8:19 AM
One of the major annoyances I have with drill presses is the crank for the table height being square to the table. This one looks like it is and I can not find a picture of that part of the table. When you add a larger table for woodworking as most do, the crank hits the table. Powermatic, Clausen, and delta commercial offerings have a crank on an angle that does not interfere with the table, much better.

This one has some parts that look suspiciously like the Taiwan one I have in the garage. the cone at the bottom of the column, the position of the table crank, and the chrome part on the lever all look like the one in my garage. Makes me wonder. I have not been able to find the weight anywhere either, a good indicator of stiffness.

I have my big Walker Turner sold anytime I want, its really better for a machinist. Table is a huge cast iron affair with legs and just the head cranks up and down. Has auto feed for threading, drilling steel, but it does not tilt, a weakness for me. Oh, and it is HUGE! Takes up too much real estate.

I want to pick up a nice heavy duty post floor model, but I think I will wait till I can see one of these in person. Maybe you could buy just the head and graft it to an old heavy base?

glenn bradley
06-04-2016, 10:25 AM
At 1:09 here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAYqM-SV0m8) the table elevation crank seems to be angled away like my Delta. However, the "demo" unit has a totally different table than the production pics so many things could have changed.

David T gray
06-04-2016, 2:21 PM
the crank isnt angled away

Larry Edgerton
06-05-2016, 5:57 PM
Shame, that's a deal breaker for me.

David T gray
06-06-2016, 2:25 PM
got email this morning weight is 526lbs

Susumu Mori
06-06-2016, 9:14 PM
What? 526lb? That IS heavy.
The Powermatic at the similar price is less than half the weight.
If that is really the case, I have to think seriously about how I move it to my basement....

pat warner
06-06-2016, 10:41 PM
Maybe 2 of them weigh in at +500. For that to happen, the motor head has to be well over 250.

David T gray
06-09-2016, 4:04 PM
got a fright email should be shipping tomorrow Weight is 360lbs on the invoice so should have it next week.

Brian Tymchak
06-10-2016, 8:12 AM
Very interesting. Looking forward to your review. I don't typically buy the first year of a new model, but I like what I see.

Speed Range: 50-3000rpm is default (option in settings to increase to 5500rpm)

Really like that low end speed. Nice feature set for the price. Not sure what a DP running at 5500 rpm is good for though..

Patrick Harper
06-14-2016, 7:37 AM
David,

Have you received your drill press yet?

David T gray
06-14-2016, 2:00 PM
waiting for freight company to call hopefully i will get it delivered tomorrow.

David T gray
06-14-2016, 3:31 PM
yup delivery tomorrow between 8 am and 5 pm largest delivery window i ever had lol

Jordan Lane
06-14-2016, 10:38 PM
would love to see a your review of it.....i'm on the fence

Bruce Page
06-15-2016, 12:01 AM
yup delivery tomorrow between 8 am and 5 pm largest delivery window i ever had lol

They'll show up at 4:45. That's usually how it works for me.

David T gray
06-15-2016, 10:06 PM
They'll show up at 4:45. That's usually how it works for me.

called at 4:30 arrived at 4:45 got it all together or so i thought then tragedy strikes once i noticed i just closed my garage door and walked inside every thing seems very well made i didn't really check out anything was trying to get it inside before it got dark

Dan Friedrichs
06-15-2016, 10:59 PM
Ya missed a part, there :)

And you're just teasing us by not showing more pictures :)

Patrick Harper
06-16-2016, 8:03 AM
Did you install the column upside down?

Martin Wasner
06-16-2016, 8:14 AM
I don't have a lot of uses for a drill press, but I've wanted a decent one for a long time. I'm currently using a Delta, and it's not very good.

I think this hits a nice price point.

glenn bradley
06-16-2016, 8:16 AM
So the top ring went a-wandering, eh? Hopefully that will show up quick as it is a bit of a show stopper.

David T gray
06-16-2016, 12:00 PM

the screen is good very good contrast between green and black no issues there.

the ui is very good no issues not complicated at all better then expected very easy to navigate. you can overshoot when using the digital depth stop sadly u cant just plow it in gotta ease it in and it works great

the controls are All that one knob in the middle it controls 90% being as it is a switch / pot.

the table insert is junk doesn't sit parallel to the surface and the screws are wrong size for the counter sink on them.

the table top seems pretty flat

its a little on the short side b/c of how big the head is on the drill press it sits really low going to need to build a 4-6'' base for it but i am 6'4'' so it might not be a issue for some.

big ass wrench that does nothing 24mm / 27mm as seen in pictures

it is Very quiet even at 3000rpm maybe 75db really nice, at 1500 rpm i can hear it but i could easily leave it on by mistake it is very very quiet.

once i get it all back together ill check the runout and report back prob wont be till middle or end on next week.

there is a electronic brake on it that im not sure is suppose to do it was disabled by default i turned it on and it made slightly nasty noise metal on metal sound so i turned it back off.

the autostart is a little funky when combined with the depth stop so u go down it starts at .3'', turns off where ever u set the depth at then starts again at .3'' when retacted then turns off again when the quill is fully retracted

Dan Friedrichs
06-16-2016, 12:09 PM
Is the wrench for table tilt?

Susumu Mori
06-16-2016, 1:26 PM
Really nice, David.
Thank you for the reports and eager to hear more!

glenn bradley
06-16-2016, 1:39 PM
Great info. All the auto start and auto stop stuff is really secondary to me. I you can lower the quill about 3", grab the chuck and lift up and down with no slop you will be ahead of anything of recent vintage that I have had my hands on for years. This failure is my main peeve with DP makers today. Lateral runout is, of course, a serious offense and can make a $1500 drill press a $100 drill press in nothing flat. The inattention to vertical slop is my hot button though ;-)

David T gray
06-16-2016, 2:47 PM
Great info. All the auto start and auto stop stuff is really secondary to me. I you can lower the quill about 3", grab the chuck and lift up and down with no slop you will be ahead of anything of recent vintage that I have had my hands on for years. This failure is my main peeve with DP makers today. Lateral runout is, of course, a serious offense and can make a $1500 drill press a $100 drill press in nothing flat. The inattention to vertical slop is my hot button though ;-)

so i went out to test your vertical slop and was i depressed tons of slop the entire head moved around prob 1/8'' of slop in every direction. they should prob mention somewhere that this is a split head drill press.... i am 27 years old never even heard or seen such a thing and its not mentioned at all in the manual but it looks like a collet so i tightened the quill lock down a little and like magic the horizontal slop disappeared that i could feel, there is still vertical slop but i didn't have time to find a allen wrench and tighten it down correctly.

pat warner
06-16-2016, 4:05 PM
Slop in rack and pinion is about normal, Mr. Bradley, no?
And when you remove the slop (x drilling) you still get the hammering?
I know you can pull the slop out x pulling on the drill tool, but you still have the slop whilst pushing (drilling) too?
Tell me more.
My press is >45 years old (http://patwarner.com/images/old_rock.jpg); I'm not having any axial hammering unless my drilling tool is spoiled and running at the wrong speed or feed or both, and/or I've mismatched the material to the drill bit.

David T gray
06-21-2016, 6:49 PM
so run out is <.001 4'' from the Albrecht chuck i checked it a few times my dial goes down to .00005 the rod i used is -.005 , +.0015 so well within tolerance for the rod. the chuck is so smooth and grabs so perfectly really nice chuck. the manual stop for depth is pretty crap kinda a after thought it really is crap mine came bent so it just kinda rubs when moving the quill up and down im going to remove it is usable, but yeah its just that the lowes porter cable i have the manual depth is better.

mark mcfarlane
07-10-2016, 10:19 AM
so run out is <.001 4'' from the Albrecht chuck i checked it a few times my dial goes down to .00005 the rod i used is -.005 , +.0015 so well within tolerance for the rod. the chuck is so smooth and grabs so perfectly really nice chuck. the manual stop for depth is pretty crap kinda a after thought it really is crap mine came bent so it just kinda rubs when moving the quill up and down im going to remove it is usable, but yeah its just that the lowes porter cable i have the manual depth is better.

David, have you put this thing to work yet? Impressions?

David T gray
08-11-2016, 9:42 PM
David, have you put this thing to work yet? Impressions?

so after about 1k holes drilled one problem i found was the bearing that holds the height adjust has burnt its self to death it was seated wrong . every thing else is good

mark mcfarlane
08-12-2016, 2:35 AM
so after about 1k holes drilled one problem i found was the bearing that holds the height adjust has burnt its self to death it was seated wrong . every thing else is good

Thanks for the update David. Did you call Teknatool? Their proposed remedy?

FWIW, from their website it looks like they are still in pre-production mode. One QC problem maybe isn't too bad on a new tool.

sean murray
09-07-2016, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the update David. Did you call Teknatool? Their proposed remedy?

FWIW, from their website it looks like they are still in pre-production mode. One QC problem maybe isn't too bad on a new tool.
I have this drill press and I love it , I had the Powermatic 2800b before this and it was junk compared to this it just had no power the belts would just slip when any sort of torque was applied. Yesterday I was drilling and tapping into steel the tapping function was really cool it taps in til it feels resistance then backs off a bit then advances it does the a few times until it's through , today I ran it hard and drilled about 140 holes 2 1/8" x 5 3/4" deep in end grain cedar with no problems and it was faster than the Powermatic, the same job on the Powermatic would almost burn out the belts completely I could only drill about 200 holes before I had to replace the belts on it .
I will say that Powermatic were great to deal with and they sent me new belts and replaced the machine for me but it just wasn't up for production work like I was doing. I like my DVR so much that I ordered the DVR Galaxy lathe to replace my Jet 1642 I hope to get that this weekend.

Michael Koons
09-14-2016, 5:33 PM
Folks, dusting off a few month old thread... Has anyone had any further experience since this June thread? I found the following on Youtube and it's a great video to show the capabilities...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PvDExhAOC8

It looks like they're still in pre-production. If anyone has any experiences to share, please do. I may wait few months to get to production but all-in-all, it looks like a nice machine and good alternative to the others out there today.

Prabha Gopinath
10-06-2016, 12:55 AM
I placed an order with Teknatools approx five weeks ago with the assurance that the DP would ship within two weeks. It is now three weeks past the original ship date with no updates from Teknatool.

They only provide a status update if I email them and the message is always the same - "we are out two weeks; the warehouse and shipping managers are trying to catch up".

These days, when everyone presumably has a CRM tool to manage customer contacts and SAP (or equivalent) to manage their warehouses this level of lousy comms is hard to comprehend.

That being said, I am looking forward to receiving the DP and will post feedback.

I sold off my Arboga gear head DP when I moved from Minneapolis to Fresno and have been looking for some more "modern" and better suited to woodworking. The Arboga was fantastic but very heavy - didnt help that the original owner had bolted it to a 2'x4' steel plate 1/2" thick.

Prabha

Michael Koons
11-03-2016, 9:31 AM
This is disappointing. I was looking forward to this DP but it looks like it's been hard for these guys to get it launched. Any news from them?

Robert Cowan
01-03-2017, 1:12 PM
Does anyone have an update on this? I see them listed as 'in-stock' at a few places online.

Van Huskey
01-03-2017, 5:23 PM
If you want one you might try calling Tool Nut.

I played with one of these at the dealer before Christmas and it immediately became my favorite wood drill press. I would add a better woodworking table and a keyless chuck but other than that it was REALLY impressive. The electronics concern me but they seem to work fine for the DVR lathes and honestly if it weren't for the lathes being on the market so long I wouldn't consider them now. It is a fair jump in price from the 2800b when you add shipping but I think it is a quantum leap for woodworking drill presses.

Robert Cowan
01-03-2017, 6:26 PM
Cool, good to know. I was planning on adding a keyless chuck to whatever I get. It's only $100 more than the 2800B though right? I guess the Powermatic doesn't have an additional shipping charge, which is strange. You'd think the 2800B would weigh the same or more.

Van Huskey
01-04-2017, 3:03 AM
Cool, good to know. I was planning on adding a keyless chuck to whatever I get. It's only $100 more than the 2800B though right? I guess the Powermatic doesn't have an additional shipping charge, which is strange. You'd think the 2800B would weigh the same or more.

The key is Powermatic has "free" residential liftgate delivery on all their machines so you are at $100 more plus the cost of shipping, plus a keyless chuck which the PM has so the difference is NOT insignificant but the Voyager is a much more useful tool based on the information about it and my playing with it for 30 minutes. For me many of the bells and whistles are true time savers not just pretty.

Robert Cowan
01-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Ah OK. I had never considered the Powermatic because I didn't want to spend that much on a drill press. But I agree with you, the features aren't just flashy, they would be very useful. I drill in pretty much every material. I would say it's an even split between wood, metal, and plastics. I also do a lot of tapping in metal, so the features would really help me out. The Powermatic is just a bigger and heavier version of everything else out there, and I couldn't justify the extra cost.

David T gray
01-04-2017, 9:21 PM
i gotta agree at first i thought it would be gimmicky but i use the programmed settings for drill speed every time now.

Robert Cowan
01-05-2017, 10:58 AM
David, that's really great to hear! I think this will end up being my next drill press. If I get one, I'll be putting out a lot of videos showing off the features. I have a YouTube channel and would love to show off what it can do, since there's not a lot online right now of it actually in action.

Ben Rivel
02-22-2017, 12:18 PM
Anyone else have one of these yet? There needs to be more reviews out there on it. Makes it seem like no one is buying them.

Martin Wasner
02-22-2017, 12:23 PM
Acme Tools is selling them now.

Ben Rivel
02-22-2017, 12:35 PM
Acme Tools is selling them now.Noticed that. Might consider one later this year if AcmeTools does another 15-20% off coupon and I start seeing some more reviews from actual owners around the net.

Bruce Page
02-22-2017, 12:46 PM
Woodcraft is also selling them now.

Wayne Jolly
02-22-2017, 12:52 PM
This sounds like an interesting and capable drill press, but I think I would wait for a few years to see how they hold up. Especially the electronics. It's all I need to spend a bundle on something with electronics in it, and have them go bad again.

Wayne

Van Huskey
02-22-2017, 1:06 PM
This sounds like an interesting and capable drill press, but I think I would wait for a few years to see how they hold up. Especially the electronics. It's all I need to spend a bundle on something with electronics in it, and have them go bad again.

Wayne

Normally, I would be in this camp too (although not sure why considering even my hand held drills have electronic brains now) but the fact that Nova has been building their lathes for many years with DVR motors and supporting electronics and they have proven to be robust allays the majority of my concerns.

Ben Rivel
02-22-2017, 4:26 PM

Wayne
Im in the same frame of thought.

Martin Wasner
02-22-2017, 6:36 PM
Noticed that. Might consider one later this year if AcmeTools does another 15-20% off coupon and I start seeing some more reviews from actual owners around the net.

I've got a salesman I work with there, I can send you his info if you want.

Ben Rivel
02-22-2017, 6:52 PM
I've got a salesman I work with there, I can send you his info if you want.Thanks for the offer but seriously the last person Id want to hear a "review" from would be a salesman. Its bad enough that a majority of the existing reviews sound to me like they're from compensated reviewers or resellers looking to move the product.

Patrick Lesher
03-21-2017, 9:10 PM
I just picked up a lightly used Nova today. I haven't had much time with it but so far it is a beast. It is so smooth and quiet compared to my old one and probably weighs 2X. The smart start looks like it will be really handy for repeat holes and I actually like it giving me suggestions for rpms. I also like that it notices when things go sideways ( vibration, load, etc ) and shuts down ( I haven't tried this yet ).

The only feature, so far, I wish it did have was actually electronically stopping the bit from going deeper when it hits the set stop. It beeps/flashes at you as you get close, and stops the motor, but if you don't have the manual stop set you can still end up drilling a little deeper.

I do wish the head housing was not plastic and at least aluminum to give it a bit more of a polished feel. The main dial on the front is a little wiggly and just doesn't have a sturdy feel like the table, base, and huge post.

Robert Cowan
03-22-2017, 12:04 AM
I actually JUST got one this weekend too. I'm doing a full video on it (unboxing, initial impressions) because I'm a YouTuber and that's what we do :-) But so far so good. The software is a bit clunky, but that's to be expected. The drill itself seems solid. The chuck has a bit of runout, but I think only around 0.0025, which is fine for a stock chuck. The quill itself is around 0.00025 or less, even when fully extended. More tests coming. But so far so good.

Brian Tymchak
03-22-2017, 7:44 AM
I actually JUST got one this weekend too. I'm doing a full video on it (unboxing, initial impressions) because I'm a YouTuber and that's what we do :-)

Looking forward to that! Thanks Robert.

Adam Merritt
03-22-2017, 9:02 AM
They had a demo on these at my local Rockler a few weeks ago. I wasn't able to make it, and am not in the market, but they looked really interesting. I am a techie by nature, so this definitely stood out as something I would want if I didn't already have a large drill press.

CPeter James
03-22-2017, 9:19 AM
How much torque at low speeds. I used 1 1/8" bits in steel. Would it turn that? One of my present machines is an on Delta 17" with 1hp 3 phase motor and VFD and the slow speed pulley set. That will turn the 1 1/8" bit. It has power down feed. I don't use it much, but it does work and you can set the release for depth control.
CPeter

Van Huskey
03-22-2017, 11:14 AM
How much torque at low speeds. I used 1 1/8" bits in steel. Would it turn that?

Digitally controlled variable reluctance motors have huge amounts of low speed torque compared to a 2 or 4 pole (3600/1700rpm) AC induction motor but the induction motor on your DP has the advantage of torque multiplication due to being geared down to the spindle the DVR is direct drive so it has no torque multiplier.
On to more useful tidbits. IIRC the maximum steel drill size recommended for a Morse 2 taper is 7/8" so from a Machinist's Handbook approach the #2 taper would say the 1 1/8" is too large how conservative these figures are I dunno. Now the Voyager has a cool feature which constantly shows the motor load in percentage a test was done with a 7/8" bit in 1045 steel which has a Brinell around 200 and the press was at 50% load so it has plenty more power but will the chuck slip?

This DP has far more power than you will ever need in a WWing DP but the taper size is probably going to limit it large hole punching ability is harder steels.

James Biddle
07-04-2017, 11:17 AM
total price with shipping was $1399 bought a Albrecht chuck b/c you know got it at a discount Lol .. warranty is 2 years on the electronics and 5 on every thing else

heres the main things that stand out to me every thing else just looks like normal dill press

User Set DepthThe “User Set Depth” feature allows the user to quickly set the drilling depth. This is essentially an electronic depth stop that willgive warning beeps when approaching the set depth and stop the motor when the depth has been reached.To activate the User Set Depth feature, simply select the feature in the menu and set a depth to drill. The drilling depth can beset using the / keys or Speed Dial. Pressing will reset the value to OFF. Press the button to savethe depth selection and return to the main screen, or press to cancel any changes.When the “User Set Depth” is activated, the current set depth will show on the main screen. When the feature is disabled, thevalue will be blank. When drilling to the set depth, the machine will start beeping at 0.5” (or 10mm in Metric mode), and thebeeping will become more rapid as the drill gets closer to the set depth. The motor will finally turn off once the set depth hasbeen reached and the machine will revert to idle.To turn off the “User Set Depth”, press the button followed by the button.XXX-XXXX-XXX17Self-Start

The “Self-Start” feature enables a one-handed drilling operation by automatically turning on and off the motor at predeterminedstart depths. The motor will start running at 0.29”/7mm and stop once it returns to 0.24”/6mm.For reference, the programming includes the following characteristics:a. After this feature has been turned on, the handle must be raised to the top of the quill stroke before the first"self-start" can begin.b. If the user is in the menu while the machine is idle, the self-start will not START, but it will STOP if the machineis running with the quill extended, the feature is activated, and the handle is raised to the stop point.c. By default, the safety feature including warning sounds and a delay before the motor self-starts is turned OFF.This setting can be accessed through the following menu path: Menu>Configuration>DrillSettings>Sounds/Warnings.

Advanced ModesPilot HoleThe “Pilot Hole” feature enables the user to skip the separate operation of drilling a pilot hole (in most cases) for locating alarger drill bit. Using this feature, the machine will begin drilling at a slower speed, and once the bit is seated and grabs enoughmaterial, the machine will sense this and ramp up to the set run speed. The machine determines this by sensing the load placedon the motor and responding when load threshold (this value is determined by the selected material) has been reached.To enable the “Pilot Hole” feature, simply toggle “Slow Start” to ON, set the start speed (250 by default), and selectOther/Metal/Wood. Metal will set the load threshold the highest, followed by Wood and then Other requires the smallestincrease in load to ramp up.IMPORTANT: Once the drill begins running after “Pilot Hole” is turned on, the display will first show “Pilot Initialize” at thebottom and then change to “Pilot Ready” when fully initialized. Allow the machine to reach the pilot speed and fully initializebefore drilling. If drilling begins prematurely, the load sensing will not calculate correctly, and the drill likely will not ramp up tofull speed at the appropriate time.

Tapping ModeThe tapping feature has two options for programmed cycles for tapping. Both modes require the user to manually feed the tap duringtapping and should only be used when starting the drill in the Forward direction.1. Load Sense – This mode will use the load sensor to determine when it has started tapping and enter a chip breaking cycle. Thiscycle uses the load sensor to determine when the drill needs to switch to reverse to chip break for a fixed amount of time, andthen returns to forward to tap again. This repeats until the drill press senses the tapping is complete via the load OR if the userpresses the button.NOTE: Recommended for through-hole tapping only.2. Chip Breaker – This mode will use the load sensor to determine when it has started tapping and enter a chip breaking cycle. Thiscycle uses a fixed amount of time before switching to reverse to chip break for a fixed amount of time, and then it returns toforward to tap again. This repeats until the drill press senses the tapping is complete via the load OR if the user presses the button.

David, did you buy the Albrecht chuck with the integrated arbor or just the chuck? Was the arbor on the original chuck integrated or not? If not, what was the Jacobs taper, #3, #33 or something else?

David T gray
07-04-2017, 1:46 PM
David, did you buy the Albrecht chuck with the integrated arbor or just the chuck? Was the arbor on the original chuck integrated or not? If not, what was the Jacobs taper, #3, #33 or something else?

both chucks have the arbor integrated its mt-2

Ben Rivel
07-04-2017, 4:21 PM
both chucks have the arbor integrated its mt-2
By chance recall the model number of the Albrecht chucks you went with? Been kicking around upgrading the Jacobs I put on my Delta 18-900L.

David T gray
07-04-2017, 4:49 PM
CP130-2MT

bought it from enco on one of their 50% off days think i paid $240

James Biddle
07-04-2017, 5:38 PM
CP130-2MT

bought it from enco on one of their 50% off days think i paid $240

They have a 25% off sale today. How often do you see a 50% off sale there? I have time if it's more than once a year.

David T gray
07-04-2017, 6:03 PM
They have a 25% off sale today. How often do you see a 50% off sale there? I have time if it's more than once a year.

it was before enco merged with msc so i assume it will never happen again.

Ben Rivel
07-04-2017, 10:53 PM
Wow, it was $240 after 50% off?! Well then, dont think Ill be adding one of those to the tool collection anytime soon.

Bruce Mack
07-05-2017, 4:54 PM
I actually JUST got one this weekend too. I'm doing a full video on it (unboxing, initial impressions) because I'm a YouTuber and that's what we do :-) But so far so good. The software is a bit clunky, but that's to be expected. The drill itself seems solid. The chuck has a bit of runout, but I think only around 0.0025, which is fine for a stock chuck. The quill itself is around 0.00025 or less, even when fully extended. More tests coming. But so far so good.

Robert has a lucid and well-photographed review on his YouTube channel. I have never seen its equal in a product review. Thank you Robert.

James Biddle
07-05-2017, 7:24 PM
Robert has a lucid and well-photographed review on his YouTube channel. I have never seen its equal in a product review. Thank you Robert.

I had to watch it after that endorsement...it really is a good review. He gives the good and bad, presented really well.

Larry Frank
07-05-2017, 7:25 PM
A nice feature is that you can upgrade the software. The original was a bit clunky but the upgrade is much better.

I really like the ability to easily change speeds. With my older Jet, it was a pain to change the belt on pulleys and I only did it when really needed. Now, with a turn of the dial the speed is changed.

Eric Keller
07-05-2017, 9:16 PM
the proprietary electronics bothers me a little. If one of the boards goes bad in 10 years, that thing is going to be a boat anchor. Otherwise, it's really tempting

Larry Frank
07-06-2017, 7:07 AM
Yes, the board could go bad but the same goes for their lathes.

Jim MacWalter
01-27-2019, 3:49 PM
Boat anchor? All you have to do it replace the board.