PDA

View Full Version : Can you do this?

Rich Stewart
09-21-2005, 1:43 PM
[size=3][color=green]I saw this on ebay. Is it psooible to use wood cut like this for a bowl? I had always thought that it would fly to pieces if you put it on a lathe like this.

Jeff Sudmeier
09-21-2005, 1:47 PM
I don't know if the wood would fly to peices, but I would think that radial checking would ruin any bowl you tried. The one peice is already checked badly. Here is a pic of the wood:

Rich Stewart
09-21-2005, 1:56 PM
I just tried to look at that link and I can't get it to come up. In case it is not, it is a picture of what the seller calls cherry wood bowl blanks but they are just sliced off the ends of a log.

psooble? WTH? lol.BTW how do you put up your picture and the little sayings on the page?

Jeff Sudmeier
09-21-2005, 2:53 PM
Rich, hit the post reply button at the bottom of this page. On the new page that come up, scroll down below the reply box and click manage attachments. Upload your pics and then type in your message.

DO NOT PREVIEW YOUR POST (you can always edit it). Just post it.

The little saying is a signature that can be added by editing your profile. For this reply I unchecked the Show sig box, so it didn't show up.

Jeff Sudmeier
09-21-2005, 2:54 PM
P.s. The reason I posted the pic is because direct links to EBAY are not allowed in this forum, there are various reasons, but they aren't up for debate :) Your post will be edited by the mods to remove the link.

(The reason your link doesn't work is becaus there are two "http" in it. )

Carole Valentine
09-21-2005, 7:57 PM
I might "try" a piece I happened to find it, but I sure wouldn't buy it. Chances of it remaining whole are slim. In addition to the radial cracking from the pith, cherry (especially if it is wild black cherry) is also subject to ring check.