PDA

View Full Version : My trip to the local sawyer this weekend

Christopher Pine
05-31-2016, 11:17 PM
I was able to finally get out and purchase a walnut log from my local sawyer. This was an urban log from a town near me and it is now lumber stickers and drying for a future project. This was so much fun could hang out there all day just watching what is uncovered by the sawmill.

https://youtu.be/GGGALgsGmbc

Marty Schlosser
06-01-2016, 10:23 AM
Very cool! Would you mind sharing with us what the price per board foot worked to to be?

Cody Colston
06-01-2016, 2:48 PM
Thanks for the video, I always enjoy watching a sawmill work and even more when it's walnut being sawn. You got some nice flitches from that log. Oh yeah, the scenery wasn't bad, either!

Christopher Pine
06-02-2016, 12:12 AM
Very cool! Would you mind sharing with us what the price per board foot worked to to be?
I would rather not say the exact amount as I honestly don't know what bd feet I eded up with but he measures the log and figures the bd feet of that and is you look at the links on youtube in the description you can see what he charges for the different woods. Around here it is very reasonable !

Christopher Pine
06-02-2016, 12:12 AM
Thanks! It is a lot of fun watching what os revealed!

Mike Cutler
06-05-2016, 7:39 PM
Pretty cool! :cool:

I partnered with James White, here on the board, for some walnut logs, which he milled, and I now also have a stack of walnut drying.
It's nice to see the process from a log on the ground, to something finished. I can't wait.
Will you just let it air dry, or will it finish in a kiln?

John K Jordan
06-05-2016, 8:53 PM
I was able to finally get out and purchase a walnut log from my local sawyer. This was an urban log from a town near me and it is now lumber stickers and drying for a future project. This was so much fun could hang out there all day just watching what is uncovered by the sawmill.

Nice job and great looking slabs! The only thing more fun that watching logs being milled is doing it yourself. I have a Woodmizer behind my barn and love to have stacks drying. It's like money in the bank.

One observation (keep in mind I'm an amateur and saw only for hobby and farm use) - I usually apply weight to the top (concrete blocks)) over the stickers. (I put scrap boards on extra stickers on the very top then put the blocks on the scrap boards, centered on the stickers.) I see you used straps but not over the stickers. Walnut is pretty stable and the thickness you have is unlikely to warp between the stickers, but in general to minimize warping I believe the stickers should be lined up vertically as closely as possible and the weight/pressure be closer to the stickers. This could be more of an issue with something like 4/4 oak - in that case I would also weight each sticker location. The worst for warping that I've ever dried was persimmon, followed by dogwood.

JKJ