PDA

View Full Version : Chip breaker recommendations needed

Paul Erickson
09-21-2005, 1:43 PM
I would appreciate hearing from those who have used the Clifton, LN, and Hock chip breakers, plus any others I don't know about. I have a couple of planes that I am adding A2 blades to, and would like to see the difference a better chipbreaker would make.

Thanks in advance.

cheers, Paul

Mike Wenzloff
09-21-2005, 1:59 PM
Hi Paul,

My preferences are Hock chip breakers (with Hock HC blades). I like the heft and fit.

My recommendation is to get the chip breaker from whom you are getting the blades, unless the blades are not from a major maker.

The Clifton breaker is OK. I have always needed to fiddle with them to get them fit snuggly. Same with the early and lighter weight LN ones. The newer style and heavier LN have fit well.

Both Hock and LN will custom grind to fit (blades and breakers, screw slots, etc.) at no extra charge. At least they use to not charge.

Mike

Dan Forman
09-21-2005, 2:35 PM
I have been very happy with Hock blades and chip breakers. The Hock chip breakers are very much like the blades themselves, quite stout and sharp, almost like using two blades back to back. Don't have anything to compare them to other than stock Stanly stuff, and in that case, there is no coparison.

Dan

Hank Knight
09-21-2005, 2:53 PM
I have both Clifton and LN chipbreakers. The clifton is O.K., but I don't like it as much as the LNs - doesn't have the same heft and it requires a little fiddling to get it to perform. Also, I haven't found the two-piece feature that allows you to sharpen without removing the chipbreaker to be a great timesaver.

I like the LNs a lot, but I had a problem with two of them at the outset. I ordered A2 blades and chipbreakers from Lie Nielsen for my 603 through 607 Bedrocks. The chipbreakers for the 603 and the 604 didn't fit. On the 603, the slot for the depth adjustment pawl was too far from the edge so I couldn't retract the blade all the way into the plane body. I sent the specs for my original 603 chipbreaker to LN and they made me another one that works fine. I had the opposite problem on the 604. The slot is too close to the edge so I have to push the blade adjust wheel to the limit - and then some - to get the blade to advance far enough to cut. I thought I would try it for a while, but I've decided to get LN to make another chipbreaker to my 604's specifications. The chipbreakers for the other planes fit fine with no problems. The extra heft makes a difference. There's no chatter at all and the planes cut smoothly. I'm sure the sharp A2 blades have something to do with that. I think you will be impressed with the difference an A2 blade with a modern chipbreaker makes in your planes.

My recommendation is to take careful measurements of your existing chipbreakers before you order and then talk to LN or Hock or whoever you decide to order from and find out if their specs match yours. If not, send them your specs and get the chipbreakers made right to begin with. I don't know about Hock, but LN doesn't charge extra for the special order chipbreakers. LN is familiar with this problem and they are very peasant to deal with over the phone.

Tony Zaffuto
09-21-2005, 3:41 PM
My preference is either the Hock or the Clifton 2 piece. The two Cliftons I have excellent fit and finish and worked very well.

I also prefer the Hock high carbon steel blade. Just my opinion, and it is pure, unsubstantiated subjective feelings, but I think I can get a better edge on the high carbon steel, and (again subjectively) between the A2 an high carbon blades I have, I can't really tell any difference in sharpness life.

I bought one L-N chip breaker for a #4 Stanley and the hole for the yoke was either too high or too low (can't remember). Tom Lie-Neilsel told me to return it and mark where the hole should be, but I decided to braze in a filler and mill in the hole in the needed spot, which I did, and all was fine.

Regardless of what chip breaker you use, its the fit of the edge to the cutting edge of the plane iron that is crucial.

T.Z.

Mike Wenzloff
09-21-2005, 3:52 PM
Hi Tony,

As I mentioned, I too like the HC Hock (or whoever) blades. I feel I can get either as sharp. The reason why I like the HC is because I hone frequently while working and the HC is just so much quicker to hone.

Mike

Peter Mc Mahon
09-22-2005, 9:47 AM
Hi Paul. Many woodworkers feel that a chip breaker is not even required. Low angle planes are the basis of many of these discussions. I have several LN planes some with the improved chip breaker and some with the old thin one. I have experimented by switching the chip breakers and planning all different types of wood. I have even installed a very flimsy old stanley chip breaker and found no difference at all. I think that with a reasonably thick blade you don't even need one. If you do have one though the most important aspect is that it has a tight fit so shavings do not become lodged under it. Something to think about anyways. Peter