PDA

View Full Version : Which Makita impact driver to buy?

Dan Friedrichs
05-31-2016, 10:13 PM
For years I've had one drill (this one (http://www.amazon.com/Makita-6339DWDE-14-4V-MXT-Driver-Drill/dp/B000I6PH18)) that I've used for everything from 1/2" holes in concrete to 1/16" holes in fine furniture. Taking down some cabinet doors made me realize how heavy the thing is, and how it's overkill for most everything I need it for. Plus the batteries are about shot, and it won't be worth replacing them.

So I want to buy a new drill and a new impact driver.

I get the impression that this 18V "LXT" (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M9D5L3M/ref=sr_ob_19?s=power-hand-tools&srs=2596009011&ie=UTF8&qid=1464738179&sr=1-19) pair is the one most people have and love?

I'm also tempted by the 12V pair (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005C95E2I/ref=psdc_552734_t2_B005CQ1RGI), though, as it seems like it might be lighter and smaller.

Or is the new brushless motor version (http://www.amazon.com/Makita-XT248-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless/dp/B00FW2A164/ref=sr_1_4?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1464747077&sr=1-4&keywords=makita+brushless) better? Seems like it's a lot heavier...

Tell me which one you have/love/hate, or which one I ought to buy :)

Neil Gaskin
05-31-2016, 10:39 PM
The link you gave is not the LXT. There is a difference between the white and blue/teal models at least in battery amp hour rating. That said we have at least a 18 makita LXT drills and impacts at and around the shop. They are pretty tough and good quality. Look for a minimum of 3.0 amh batteries and if you can get the 4.0 I've noticed a mark difference in run time in the shop.

I cant comment on the 12v since we don't have any. I have been tempted for shop use for the lighter weight though.

my personal thought is the brushless is a nice option but may not be worth the extra money. We burn up batteries but we don't kill the drills or wear out the brushes so I don't personally believe it would be worth the expense above the brushed models.

Rich Riddle
05-31-2016, 10:48 PM
I own the 18 volt in both brush and brushless and find now weight difference when holding them. Typically the brushless gets used more but the brush model seems a bit more powerful.

Paul Wunder
05-31-2016, 10:53 PM
I have the Milwaukee 12v series drill, driver and impact wrench. Love the weight, quality,battery life with the std 12v Li-on AND the power.

It is excellent for furniture and light household tasks. Don't expect to drive lag bolts with the impact driver; not made for that. But it will handle any pre-drilling or driving of screws up to the 2" square heads that I use

Dan Friedrichs
05-31-2016, 11:05 PM
The link you gave is not the LXT. There is a difference between the white and blue/teal models at least in battery amp hour rating.

Ahhh...I didn't notice that. I thought LXT referred to the battery voltage/shape. So are these "compact" batteries compatible with the LXT tools (realizing they have lower Ah ratings), and vise versa?

Martin Wasner
05-31-2016, 11:11 PM
, or which one I ought to buy :)

The Panasonic one.

Tom Ewell
05-31-2016, 11:56 PM
Picked up this one over ten years ago that also included a send-in freebee offer for the 1/2" hammer drill/drill driver (tool only)

Got it to replace an early 12v (or 14v?) DeWalt impact driver which was 'donated' to the cause to get the crew introduced to the concept.

Picked up an extra set of batteries early on, still using all four batteries, both tools are still going strong, the charger 'squeals' some when first fired up but charges just fine.

Did have to replace the case once, the top tray lid hinges wore out.

justin sherriff
06-01-2016, 7:26 AM
I have the white 18v and they are light and only take 30 min to charge. so I have never had to wait for the battery to charge.
I have not used any other 18v but I have never been let down buy them.

Rich Engelhardt
06-01-2016, 7:48 AM
I have the Milwaukee 12v series drill, driver and impact wrench
That's what I have too.
Sort of useless since it's only 12V and underpowered (compared to my 18V DeWalt drill) & the little battery gets used up real fast.
Good thing the batteries (Li-Ion) charge lightning fast....

Since the things (drill and inpact driver) are so light and handy, there's no question what I reach for first - - ;).
& quickly remember - they are sort of weak and underpowered - compared to the 18V DeWalt.

BTW - I am only half kidding. Just yesterday my wife managed to twist the head off a Kreg pocket screw with the 12V impact driver.

Mike Kees
06-01-2016, 8:42 AM
I am a carpenter and I use my cordless stuff daily. makita was the best system for about 7-8 years,now i would buy milwaukee. Makita seems to have problems with batteries not lasting. I switched to MIlwaukee m18 red lithium and they have been really good.(3.5 years). Whatever you get look at the brushless motor tools, they cost a bit more but are lighter and they last longer on a charge. All my batteries are 4 amp hour and they last quite a while on a charge.Definitely use the impact driver way more than the drill. Good luck with your decision.

Greg R Bradley
06-01-2016, 9:30 AM
The white pair LXT in your link is the light duty drill and the standard impact. They come with small & light batteries so are very light for 18v stuff. Light weight drill/driver and small battery.

Makita makes a range of 18v LXT Drill/Drivers and Hammer Drills. The Hammer Drills are always heavier since they have that extra mechanism in them. Brushed or Brushless only makes a small difference in weight as it is the power of the drill that makes it heavier. The small white ones have less than half the power of the big ones. That is where the weight difference is. The bigger ones also have to have more metal in them to handle the power. The biggest ones are still heavy.

So there is:
Small with small battery.
Small with big battery.
Medium.
Big.
Biggest.
And Hammer Drill versions of each that add a bit of weight.

They make 5 different sizes of impact drivers in LXT also.

The Makita battery issue was a small problem blown out of proportion. Also Makita has more counterfeit tools than any other brand due to their initial popularity.

Milwaukee is also good but tends to be heavier than Makita for equivalent models.

I would be tempted to seriously consider 12v for general use. Also probably skip the Hammer Drill and keep your old one for the rare times you need a Hammer Drill.

Greg R Bradley
06-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Ahhh...I didn't notice that. I thought LXT referred to the battery voltage/shape. So are these "compact" batteries compatible with the LXT tools (realizing they have lower Ah ratings), and vise versa?
Those ARE LXT tools but come with small 2ah batteries but also say "compact". You can use the larger 3ah batteries on the white tools. I assume the newer 4ah & 5ah batteries. Battery interchangeability is a bit more complicated than that. Some of the older 3ah tools will not accept the larger 4ah and 5ah batteries. You can tell by the "star" on the battery connection. There is also a newer/bigger battery with a fuel guage.
Unless you are using something in heavy production or a really demanding tool like the chainsaw or blower, the bigger batteries are not terribly important. I'm using most of my big batteries on worklights so they will run all day.

Neil Gaskin
06-01-2016, 9:41 PM
Do you have newer light weight "white" tools? When they first came out I bought a set and the smaller batteries worked in the larger "blue" tools but the larger 3 amh batteries did not lock into the compact tools.

Phillip Mitchell
06-01-2016, 10:05 PM
It all depends on your personal need and usage as to what will suit you best. I have a brushless, 18v LXT, 3 speed Makita impact driver (about 3 yrs old now) and use it daily as a carpenter and am always using around the house, remodeling, and with wood working tasks as well. The 3 speed/torque setting is what makes it so versatile, because the low setting is perfect for those light duty, finesse type tasks (small screws for door hardware, trim screws, fragile phillips head screws, etc) and the high speed is awesome for heavier work (driving deck screws, structural screws, lags, etc.) I find myself using the mid speed fairly regularly also. I think Makita and Milwaukee both make great drivers, but I prefer the feel and ergonomics of the Makita personally (have co-workers who have Milwaukee M18 drivers)

The best of both worlds to me would be to have both an 18v set (impact and hammer drill) for most of your mid-heavy tasks and also have a 12v set for finesse, light to mid duty house and woodworking tasks. The 12v drills/drivers are obviously smaller and lighter which can be a real plus for the light duty finesse work. If that's not possible then get the 18v set with 3 speed impact driver and drill with hammer capacity and you can do just about anything with them for a while, then eventually add a smaller 12v set if you really see a need.

Ive noticed no weight real difference between brushed and brushless Makita impact drivers. Battery life is much improved with the brushless motor, though.