PDA

View Full Version : 'Mini' Nicholson Workbench

Jay Larson
05-31-2016, 12:56 PM
I call it a mini because I used 2x4s for the legs and 2x8s for the skirts. I also did not drill any holes for the holdfasts as it will be used in the "other" part of the shop. Namely it will be used for mechanical reasons and not woodworking.

It took me about 8 hours to get everything cut, planed and put together.

I used two 8' 2x12s for the top. Ran them through a planer a couple of times to flatten them a bit. They ended up about 1 3/8" thick. Planed the edges and glued them together. Same session I cut the pieces for the legs and glued and screwed them together.

Next session I screwed the cross pieces to make the leg units and screwed the ledger board to the skirts. Then I clamped the legs and skirts together to plane the skirts straight.

Third session I put in the cross braces in and planed them level to the skirts. And put the top on to check for flatness. I had to take a bit off of one corner and it was done. Well, not done, I didn't actually screw the top down until last night when I moved it from clogging up the woodworking shop into the car working shop. Once it was in there, I screwed the legs to the skirts and then the top to the skirts. And then I added a shelf with some scrap plywood and 2x3s I had in the corner.

The top is really too nice to be using it on car parts, so I will be cutting a piece of 3/4" OSB for a work top.

Just a quick picture before it succumbed the "Flat surface Syndrome" You know the one, where every flat surface generally accumulates stuff...

It is 7' long and 35" high. It really was simple to build and even though the parts are not at big as a full Nicholson, it really is solid. I could see using a version for woodworking.

For references I used the Christopher Schwartz article in Popular Woodworking and "The Naked Woodworker" video.

Robert Engel
05-31-2016, 4:39 PM
A couple long stretchers will add a lot to the stability.
Of course not necessary if screwed to the wall.