PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman XR 2412 Fence?

Dick Brown
05-31-2016, 11:29 AM
Just picked up a 10"belt drive Craftsman table saw at the right price. Will clean it up, maybe paint it, fix anything in need and send it to a new home. It has an aluminum fence and rails, XR 2412 according to the decal, which appear to be in good shape. Haven't unloaded it yet but when I tried it before loading, it didn't seem to slide and stay in line very well. I wonder if any of you have some tips on how to make it work better other than replacing it with a Biese. clone? is this the same as the Exacta-rip (sp?) Thanks for your input.

mark kosse
05-31-2016, 12:09 PM
Hi Dick, It's one of those mid line fences. Not bad, but not a bies. better than older oem, for sure. I had one at some point and it seemed there was an adjustment to tighten the fence. Flip the fence over and look. If not add a piece of laminate for a spacer.

Dick Brown
05-31-2016, 1:03 PM
Mark,
Thanks for the reply. Funny you should mention laminate! Unloaded the saw, tried the fence. Not good. Noticed there is a tapered area on each side of the head that runs on another taper on the face of the front rail mount. Looked like some kind of glue or other upenkucy on that area. Cleaned it off, put a scrap of laminate between it and the rail mount taper on each side, gave it a try and WOW! What a difference! Contact cement, little trimming and it works rather well. Hold a bit of pressure toward the table as you move it and it stays straight, As you said, not a Biese. but fine for hobby user. Now, clean, paint, and find it a new home.
Dick

Don Jarvie
05-31-2016, 8:30 PM
Take a look for the manual. It will show you how to set it up.

I had one on my Walker Turner and it was fine. Only drawback is you need the back rail unlike the Bies.