PDA

View Full Version : Talcum Powder Fiasco

Rich Riddle
05-31-2016, 7:06 AM
I keep seeing advertisements from law firms and reading stories about the talcum powder fiasco that causes cancer and they have known about it for decades. So here's the questions, why is the product still for sale if it's so dangerous it causes death. Is this yet another overblown drama or is baby powder on the way out? Barbers beware.

Jerome Stanek
05-31-2016, 8:02 AM
It is like the table saws Lawyers wanting a big pay off

Bill Orbine
05-31-2016, 9:47 AM
Interesting reading: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/talcum-powder-and-cancer

For me, talcum powder in purified form seems to be safe. Use your judgment.

Stephen Tashiro
05-31-2016, 9:59 AM
, why is the product still for sale if it's so dangerous it causes death..

Is it commonly available? I haven't looked for genuine talcum powder recently, but when I looked years ago, all the "baby powders" were based on corn starch, not talc.

John K Jordan
05-31-2016, 10:30 AM
Is it commonly available? I haven't looked for genuine talcum powder recently, but when I looked years ago, all the "baby powders" were based on corn starch, not talc.

You can still buy pure talc. I got some from Amazon on recommendation from Robland to treat the cast iron on their sliding table. I had to look for billiards supplies:

http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Cup-Premium-Powder-Shaker/dp/B005U4A9KW

JKJ

Ken Fitzgerald
05-31-2016, 10:49 AM
According to the MSDS and as reported by the Department of Health and Human Services, J&J's baby powder is still talc.

We live in a crazy convoluted world where mountains are made out of mole hills and things are distorted beyond recognition only to be reported as truth or normal. Often the distortions are viewed by people who make decisions based on emotion and not on logic.

Michael Weber
05-31-2016, 3:04 PM
It's human nature Ken. People spoil everything:)

Wade Lippman
05-31-2016, 3:54 PM
It is still for sale because every test shows it to be harmless. But juries feel sorry for the ill, so they give them millions.

My favorite are the lawsuits against blood thinners because they cause internal bleeding. Well, yeah...

Erik Loza
05-31-2016, 4:51 PM
My wife put the kabosh on real talcum powder when she heard all this stuff. Maybe it's not backed by science, maybe it is, or maybe the truth is in the middle but I won't push back on her about it. Choose your battles, as they say.

Erik

Michael Weber
05-31-2016, 6:35 PM
My wife put the kabosh on real talcum powder when she heard all this stuff. Maybe it's not backed by science, maybe it is, or maybe the truth is in the middle but I won't push back on her about it. Choose your battles, as they say.

Erik
Smart.:p Your gonna live a long happy life

Art Mann
05-31-2016, 7:50 PM
According to the State of California, it seems that everything man made causes cancer. Manufacturers and producers are required by law to cry "wolf" on everything they make. How useful! :rolleyes:

Wayne Lomman
06-01-2016, 6:36 AM
Listen to The Eagles singing "Get Over It". Says it all, I reckon. Cheers

Brian Elfert
06-07-2016, 11:07 PM
Aren't the (supposed) issues with talcum power and Johnson's baby powder mostly in women who used it on their private parts regularly?

Curt Harms
06-08-2016, 11:10 AM
I suspect it depends on the 'juicyness' of the target, unfortunately. It's easier to convince a jury that an 'evil multinational megacorporation' is guilty and the payout bigger.