PDA

View Full Version : OT: Can you give a dog a asprin?

Bob Weisner
09-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Does anyone know if a Dog can take an asprin? What is the dosage for a dog that weighs 60-70 pounds?

Thanks,

Mark Patoka
09-21-2005, 11:01 AM
Here is one link I found that seems to answer the question. I just Googled for Dog Aspirin and came up with several hits that seem to say the same thing. Of course there is the usual disclaimer: Check with your vet first before administering any medication.

http://www.school-for-champions.com/animalhealth/aspirin.htm

Dan Gill
09-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Yes. My vet prescribed aspirin for my aging Chessie with arthritis. And the dog would eagerly lick them up off the floor and chew them. Of course, he would eat just about anything but rocks.

Von Bickley
09-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Give him an aspirin and tell him to call me in the morning... :D :D :D

Jim O'Dell
09-21-2005, 11:51 AM
Just don't use Tylenol, or the other Acetomenifens (I know the spelling is wrong). We use the Ecotrin or coated aspirin for the dogs. Easier on the stomach. Jim

Bobby Hicks
09-21-2005, 1:23 PM
Our vet said to give our dogs baby aspirin. I would go by the weight suggestions on the bottle.

Chris Fite
09-21-2005, 9:44 PM
My vet once prescribed a 325 mg tablet of aspirin for my 45 pound dog. Medication such as aspirin is dosed based upon weight of the patient.

Bob Weisner
09-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Thanks for all the replys. I got my dog to the vet earlier today. It was bad news. Found that the wobbley rear legs was caused by a degenerative spine and she also had eyes that were blinking rapidly and going left and right . The vet described it as being some sort of auto immune disorder .(Don't remember what he called it). He said that it probably would clear up in a couple of days. The degenerative spine, though, he said she had only a couple of months before that would completly give out and she would not be able to stand up. The vet also found 4 tumors on her. One on the right front of her chest, another one on the middle of her chest, a third one on her left leg and a fourth on the top of her back by her left hip. She was 17 years old. For a Black Lab, I think she lived a good long life. Knowing that the condition was only going to get worse, and the vet saying that there was nothing he could do for her, I decided to have her put to sleep. Going to miss Gracie.

Vaughn McMillan
09-22-2005, 12:11 AM
Bob, very sorry to see the sad news. Having done it myself, I know it's not an easy decision to make, but you know it's the right one. At 17, she lived a couple dog's lives. That indicates she was treated very well for all those years. I'm willing to bet somewhere along the road another dog's going to decide to own you. My thoughts are with you.

- Vaughn

Don Baer
09-22-2005, 12:29 AM
Bob,

I'm a softy for dogs and have had to put a couple down. I can feel your loss. She had a long life and I'm sure she'll be missed. I know that whenever it has happened to me I swore I'd never have another dog and guess what. somehow somewhere I end up with one. I look forward to hearing about your next shop dog.