PDA

View Full Version : Happy Memorial Day

Randall J Cox
05-30-2016, 1:04 PM
To all my fellow Veterans, hope you have a great day. Thank you for your service and we honor those who gave their lives for this country.... Randy

Rod Sheridan
05-30-2016, 4:37 PM
Oh, today's a holiday for my American forum friends...........Happy Memorial day, hope the weather's great wherever you are............Regards, Rod.

Bert Kemp
05-30-2016, 5:38 PM
Why does everyone say HAPPY memorial day? Theres nothing happy about this day. This day is set aside to remember our Veterans who gave their lives in defense of their country. To remember those loved ones we have lost.

Ben Rivel
05-30-2016, 6:11 PM
Why does everyone say HAPPY memorial day? Theres nothing happy about this day. This day is set aside to remember our Veterans who gave their lives in defense of their country. To remember those loved ones we have lost.
That is a good and valid point. Im sure no one means any offense by it, but its just one of those things that ended up being that way for lack of another/better way. When you force me to think of it, Im not sure how else to say it. I suppose it should not be a "greeting" at all, like "Happy Thanksgiving to ya!" or Happy New Year!", but perhaps a silent day of remembrance. However if it were a silent day and no one reminded others about it, it might pass by un-noticed and become forgotten. Since Im sure no one wants that, it seems to me for better or worse we come full circle, back to Happy Memorial Day...

Rich Riddle
05-30-2016, 7:12 PM
My grandmother used to call this Decoration Day......and my grand-aunt Remembrance Day. As a combat Marine, I am not offended by someone saying "happy" on the solemn occasion. We tend to place an adjectives in front of "days" for some reason; many don't like or understand the word "good" in front of Friday prior to Easter. The older I get, the less things tend to bother me.

Mike Henderson
05-30-2016, 8:43 PM
Why does everyone say HAPPY memorial day? There's nothing happy about this day. This day is set aside to remember our Veterans who gave their lives in defense of their country. To remember those loved ones we have lost.

I think people use the word "Happy" to mean "Have a good". It's a word we use when wishing good things for others. I'm sure people realize the solemn nature of the day and do not mean any offense.

Mike

Keith Westfall
05-30-2016, 10:33 PM
May I say then, just a heartfelt thanks for ALL who have served or are serving, for the freedom I have.

Can't even begin to express the gratitude for the many that paid the ultimate price, for someone they don't even know...

Thanks.

From my family, my children's family and my grandchildren, who all enjoy the same freedom.

Randall J Cox
05-30-2016, 10:50 PM
May I say then, just a heartfelt thanks for ALL who have served or are serving, for the freedom I have.

Can't even begin to express the gratitude for the many that paid the ultimate price, for someone they don't even know...

Thanks.

From my family, my children's family and my grandchildren, who all enjoy the same freedom.

Keith, well put. Thank you for your gratitude to those who paid the ultimate sacriface...

Bert Kemp
05-31-2016, 10:06 AM
Thank You Keith

Thanks.

Larry Browning
05-31-2016, 2:00 PM

Nicole Curtis of HGTV fame, has a post on her facebook page saying we need to start saying Honor Memorial Day instead of Happy Memorial Day. She said "Honor Memorial Day vs Happy Memorial Day so as you say it you remind all those that hear what it's about."

Brett Luna
05-31-2016, 7:28 PM
As a retired veteran, I have zero problem with "Happy Memorial Day" and honestly (but with due respect) I'm a bit weary of the protestations against it. Of course, I want people to remember, honor, and appreciate those who served and fell. But had I been among them, I would certainly have wanted those I served to fully and joyfully celebrate the life and liberty I vowed to protect. Remembrance and gratitude take many forms and I would feel presumptuous indeed to demand it in a form strictly to my liking.