PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle kickstand interlock.....

Chuck Wintle
05-30-2016, 12:06 PM
Someone I know got killed while driving a motorcycle because, the police conclude, the kickstand was in the down position. The kickstand dug into the road causing the biker to veer off the road. The bike catapulted in the air and landed on top of him killing him. Are Honda Gold Wings equipped with an interlock for the kickstand being down?

Dimitrios Fradelakis
05-30-2016, 12:37 PM
Terrible news, my condolences.

I have a Honda CBR 600RR and if the kickstand is down while the bike turns off if you try and put it in gear. Same rule applies if you're riding and decide to drop the kickstand, the bike will shut off.

Dennis Peacock
05-30-2016, 4:15 PM
I have the following bikes and they all will shut off if the kickstand goes down while the bike is in gear:
1995 VT1100C
1997 Valkyrie Tourer
2004 VTX1300C

And they also die if the engine is running, kickstand down, and you decide to put it in gear.

John McClanahan
05-30-2016, 4:24 PM
The kickstand safety switch was introduced on the Honda GL-1500 in 1988. The GL-1200s and older did not have the safety and yes, the kickstand left in the down position could ruin your day.

It all has to do with the pivot geometry of the kickstand. I had a Yamaha enduro that would flip itself up and you hardly knew anything happend.

John

Rod Sheridan
05-30-2016, 4:36 PM
Yes they are, I don't know of any modern bike that doesn't have a sides tand switch............Rod.

Bert Kemp
05-30-2016, 5:42 PM
Also do to the fact that kickstands retract to the rear of the bike its hard for it to dig in if it dropped , not sayin it can't happen but would be difficult. Must have been a freak thing.

Michael Weber
05-30-2016, 6:14 PM
Ditto for my 98 Valk tourer. Won't even start with the stand down, which I try to do from time to time.
Bert, did you get your headlight problem solved?

Chuck Wintle
05-30-2016, 6:36 PM
The kickstand safety switch was introduced on the Honda GL-1500 in 1988. The GL-1200s and older did not have the safety and yes, the kickstand left in the down position could ruin your day.

It all has to do with the pivot geometry of the kickstand. I had a Yamaha enduro that would flip itself up and you hardly knew anything happend.

John
its my thought the bike was older than 1988 and did not have the interlock otherwise it would not have caused the accident as the police have concluded(rightfully or wrongfully).

Bert Kemp
05-30-2016, 7:05 PM
Put a switch in to disconnect battery till I can get a new ignition

Ditto for my 98 Valk tourer. Won't even start with the stand down, which I try to do from time to time.
Bert, did you get your headlight problem solved?