PDA

View Full Version : Making time to improve the shop...

Kevin Post
06-13-2003, 4:48 PM
I've finally decided to get serious about improving my workspace to make it more efficient. It seems that my projects always drop to the bottom of the priority list. I've decided to take a stand and make my shop a better place to work.

Last night, I assembled the tablesaw station I started a couple weekends back and installed the Biesmeyer fence I bought LAST YEAR. It's based on a plan that appeared in Issue 50 of ShopNotes magazine. It has casters recessed into the bottom so I can move it around easily. I still need to make some drawers and put a finish on it but I'm happy to have it in a usable state again. The cabinet is birch plywood and cherry. What do you think would make a good finish?

The next project on the list is a bench to accomodate the DeWalt RAS and miter saw which can be seen in the photo. Currently, the CMS is on an old kitchen base cabinet that I mounted on wheels. What I hope to gain from these projects aside from better work areas is more storage. (Note the drawers in the table saw cabinet...)

http://fp1.centurytel.net/sawdust/images/ts_front.jpg

It also improved the dust collection of my Jet contractor saw. I cut a cover from 1/4" plywood to seal up the back. It's attached with velcro... I didn't take the time to figure out how to cut an opening that will allow me to tilt the blade. I figure for as often as I tilt the blade, I'll remove the plywood.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/sawdust/images/ts_back.jpg

Jim Becker
06-13-2003, 4:58 PM
Kevin, workshop improvements server two major purposes...the first one is obvious as making the space convenient and easy to use makes for better project flow. The second is the opportunity to use techniques that may be new to you or that you need to practice so you can better incorporate them into your "real" woodworking projects.

One thing I'll suggest is that you consider standardizing on the height of your workstations to make for easier stock handling and alternative uses for the worksurfaces. That may mean your new miter station is lower than it is now, but if you can be comfortable with that, it really helps when you are moving things around in the shop, no matter what the size.

Kevin Post
06-13-2003, 5:11 PM
I'm with you on the work surface height thing... I don't currently have a bench. My bench has always consisted of sawhorses with a door or boards between them. I have a nice Wilton vise that is waiting for a home. That project will come after the miter/RAS station is built. (I need more storage...)

Most of the work I do or have done is finish carpentry. I've just finished remodeling the house and am starting to build furniture. I've realized and convinced my wife that I need to fix up that shop before I can build her any furniture.

Jim Becker
06-13-2003, 5:17 PM
Kevin, although you may not want to duplicate it, take a look at the cantilevered miter station I built after seeing a similar unit illustrated in <i>Fine Woodworking</i> a few years back. You might get some ideas to consider for your own workstation.

You can see a brief article on it on my site at http://sawsndust.com/a-miterstation.htm and there is a link at the bottom of that page to a construction pictorial. What I like about this workstation is that I can remove the fences and saw if I really need the surface for other work. I use that ability less now that I expanded the shop, but it still comes in handy. I also embedded threaded inserts in the top on the right side to provide mounting points for my Leigh D4 and Kreig pocket screw jig.

Kevin Post
06-13-2003, 5:38 PM
I've pretty much settled on a setup like Norm Abrams built for his shop. It seems most practical for me since it will provide me with more storage. It appears to be very sturdy and should be fast, easy and cheap to build. I plan to install it along the wall where the miter saw sits currently.

Thanks for the input,

-Kevin