PDA

View Full Version : new toy gloat

Albert Lee
05-30-2016, 12:07 AM
I have always wanted to improve my clamping setup and whereabout I do my clamping, I have been doing my clamping on the floor, its not ideal and this reduces the usable shop space unless I walk on top of the glued up panels and between the clamps, its hazardous and an accident waiting to happen, not to mention the time involved in setting up the clamps.

Over the weekend I've found a guy selling his air press clamp table, similar to a Barth Multipress, but you can do horizontal pressing not just vertical pressing like the Barth, he is 200 miles away from where I am, this distance is nothing for the North American but its a bloody long drive for us the Kiwis.

The table itself is 100 inches long by 60 inches wide, the platform is a 10mm thick steel plate (3/8 inch?), there are 6 pneumatic clamps, you can adjust the pressure and the offsets.

the price?

$300 USD ($500 NZD)

after 9 hours of road trip I finally hauled this baby home in my enclosed trailer, now I think of a way to get it out of the trailer.... we used a forklift to put it in, but I dont have a forklift!

Neil Gaskin
05-30-2016, 12:13 AM
Nice score.

Michael Weber
05-30-2016, 11:36 AM
+1 :) great price.

Bill Conerly
05-31-2016, 11:55 PM
now I think of a way to get it out of the trailer

Here in the states the solution usually involves friends and beer. Or at least random neighbors.

Garth Almgren
06-01-2016, 1:27 PM
Here in the states the solution usually involves friends and beer. Or at least random neighbors.
Or random neighbors with a forklift. ;)

You could use a long pinch/pry bar to lever it up enough to get some conduit or dowels under it, then it'd roll or at least slide easier. A come-along winch and a sturdy tree would probably do the job too.

Malcolm McLeod
06-01-2016, 2:10 PM
Nice score. If you want it to be mobile, maybe use a jack to lift it in place and install suitable casters. You'll then need less beer...for the neighbors at least.

Mike Henderson
06-01-2016, 3:12 PM
Great score, great price. You must have a good sized shop. That'd never fit into mine.

Congratulations!

Mike

David Kumm
06-01-2016, 4:57 PM
Really sweet. Those tables and clamps are hard to come by. Well done! Dave

Wes Ramsey
06-01-2016, 5:30 PM
I had a similar quandary when I brought my 15" Grizzly planer home. I backed the truck into my shop, hoisted the planer with a pair of come-a-longs, drove the truck out of the shop, and lowered it a few clicks at a time on each side until it was safely on the floor. Of course, I have the (hopefully temporary) advantage of having open rafters and no ceiling.

Martin Wasner
06-01-2016, 9:13 PM
Really sweet. Those tables and clamps are hard to come by. Well done! Dave

I'm looking to get a rotisserie door clamp in the new shop. I'll sell you my peg board style if you want it when the time comes. 3x5 I think.

Btw, are you going to be around this weekend? I've failed a million times to drop that socket in the mail, I'm going to be racing on Petenwell this weekend.

Albert Lee
06-02-2016, 4:37 PM
Here is how I unloaded it by myself...

I tied a rope around the leg of the machine and another end to the garage pillar with the trailer door open and drive forward. it came out like knife cutting through jelly.

yesterday I started using the clamp, the whole clamping exercise was completed so much faster and efficient, I was standing around twitching my finger thinking.... well that went better than expected, I didnt even need to domino between the pieces to ensure the pieces does not slide, now I need to think of something else to do! lol

I had to re arrange my workshop a bit, its a tight fit but I will get by. Every woodworker should have one! maybe not so big but a platform like this boost your production like never before.