PDA

View Full Version : Wood identification

Ron Humphrey
05-29-2016, 4:31 PM

I have two boards of this material. I cannot identiy it from my searches on the web. The picture is of a board 5" wide. The figuring is quite unusal.

Any help identifying this would be appreceiated.

John K Jordan
05-29-2016, 5:01 PM
Hard to tell from a picture of a single board. I've had some sections of cocobolo that looked that orange when cut although most is darker and has way more black and brown. I've also had turning squares of Borneo rosewood (Tiger Rengas) which looked a lot like that when cut. Here's a picture although be advised that this company has been suspected of oversaturating their photos to make their wood look better: http://www.cookwoods.com/borneo-rosewood-w45153

I found Borneo rosewood quite irritating to skin and breathing.

Does it have a strong, distinctive smell when cut? (and are you familiar with the smell of cocobolo - very distinctive). If you look at the pores on endgrain with a magnifier, are the pores full of an amber resin. (shave a small section with a razor blade.) Density can be a hint. (measure volume and weigh) Does a piece float or sink in water?

JKJ

John Kananis
05-29-2016, 10:09 PM
Pic of the whole board (preferably next to a known timber)? Also, is there any finish on that board? If so, that changes the ballgame.