PDA

View Full Version : Kreg clamps - RAC & 90 degree

Matt Day
05-29-2016, 12:29 PM
I have some melamine cabinets I'm building for my wife's closet. I thought it'd be a good excuse to buy some new tools and one I've been thinking about is a clamp(s).

Are one or two of the Right Angle Clamps enough? Or would the newer 90 degree corner clamp work better? Any other suggestions?

I know I could make some shop built ones but I think I'd prefer some manufactured ones.

Thanks

Bruce Wrenn
05-29-2016, 9:53 PM
I have four of the right angle clamps, and two of the ninety degree corner clamps. Seldom do I have use the ninety degree clamps. They were an impulse buy at a woodworking show.

Matt Day
05-29-2016, 10:59 PM
That's exactly what I wanted to hear Bruce. Well, not exactly because you don't use the 90's and wasted money.

Dan Rude
05-29-2016, 11:15 PM
I have 2 of the Kreg clamps, 2 Irwin 90's, 4 of the Rockler 90 degree plastic corners and 4 of the Jevon 90 degree corners http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=51101&cat=1,43838 (free shipping until June 6th). I use my Jevons the most, since a couple of 2 inch spring clamps and you are set. I like the Kreg but take a while to adjust. The Irwin's do not work as well for what I have needed them for. I use the Rocklers, but find them large and bulky. Dan

Victor Robinson
05-30-2016, 8:16 PM
I use the RAC all the time...a pair of them is good to have. If you'll be using a lot of pocketholes in your project these will come in handy.

I have a 90 degree clamp too and have never used it.

The important distinction here is that the RAC is only useful if using pocketholes since one side of the clamp slides into the pocket hole. Anytime you're screwing together pockethole joints the RAC comes in handy to hold everything conveniently together.

On the other hand, the 90 degree clamp can be used to hold cabinet parts together for assembly regardless of how you're putting them together. Given that, one would think it would be the more useful clamp...I personally just haven't bothered with it.