PDA

View Full Version : Corner Upper Kitchen Cabinet

Mark W Pugh
05-29-2016, 2:43 AM
So, planning a upper kitchen corner cabinet. I will make a easy reach style, vs a lazy susan style, I think that's what it is called. Now the top and bottom carcass pieces need the front corner cut out at a 90deg angle.

What is the best way to do this? I was thinking bandsaw with fence and a stop. The other option was to cut out two pieces, and join the with epoxy and pocket screws, to form the top and bottom.

I hope this makes since.

This is what I'm talking about. The part on the left needs that 10 3/4 X 10 3/4 piece cut out.

Wayne Lomman
05-29-2016, 5:52 AM
Mark, rough cut it on the bandsaw and then trim it to size with a router. Clamp 2 temporary fences at right angles and do the trim all in one go. The radius in the corner can either be left or else trimmed out with a chisel. Commercially, the edging is done with a thin veneer/edgestrip that is flexible enough to follow the radius. If I had a dollar for every one of these I have done I would retire. Cheers

Mike Berrevoets
05-29-2016, 8:19 AM
I just made one of these for our kitchen. I used my track saw to make most of those inside corner cuts. I just stopped short enough to not overcut (due to the radius of the blade) and then finished the cut with a pull saw in the corner and cleaned up with a chisel. After the first one was cut I used that as the template to mark the bottom piece and the two shelves to make sure they were all the same.

If you don't have a track saw I think a circular saw with a guide clamped to the piece would work almost as well. Just a little more measuring to set the guide and there might be some more tear out so watch what is the show face.

Martin Wasner
05-29-2016, 8:57 AM
Tablesaw is how I do it.

Lee Schierer
05-29-2016, 9:20 AM
Tablesaw is how I do it.

That's how I would do it as well. Flip the piece over so the bottom is up and cut just short of the corner so the kerf doesn't cross your 90 degree lines on the top face. Use a zero clearance insert and you should get a straight splinter free cut.

Patrick McCarthy
05-29-2016, 9:59 AM
Lee, why upside down? If it si done shelf side up, we can see to cut to the 90 degree corner, and the over cut kerf is on the bottom, out of sight and eventually hidden by the wider bottom rail . . . . . Isn't it?

i am probably missing the obvious , so be gentle . . .

Lee Schierer
05-29-2016, 5:40 PM
Lee, why upside down? If it si done shelf side up, we can see to cut to the 90 degree corner, and the over cut kerf is on the bottom, out of sight and eventually hidden by the wider bottom rail . . . . . Isn't it?

i am probably missing the obvious , so be gentle . . .

Note that I said to use a zero clearance insert. It will prevent splintering of the edge that will eventually show.

eugene thomas
05-29-2016, 7:16 PM
if i was making this cabinet i would make 2 pieces 13.75 w by 24.5 long and miter the corners. every time open the door will see the grain on one side going wrong way if make from one pieces.

jessie hachey
06-03-2016, 5:39 PM
I cut these on my table saw with a good blade. Then I finish the cut into the corner with a japanese backsaw. Fast and flawless ... (As long as you dont push too far into the table saw blade LOL.. I use masking tape on the fence to mark a stop point.)