PDA

View Full Version : track saw/skilsaw

John Piwaron
05-28-2016, 11:47 AM
In addition to everything a tracksaw can do when you're using it with a track, can a tracksaw also be used in the same manner as a skilsaw?

Warren Wilson
05-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Well, I'm no expert but when using a circular saw I monitor the cutting edge of the blade as it moves along the scribed line. On my DeWalt track saw that would be very difficult as the blade is shrouded by the body of the saw. Add to that the facts that it has to be plunged into the cut and that it's bigger, bulkier and heavier than even my "big" (8 1/4") circular saw, I wouldn't consider grabbing the track saw for crosscutting 2x4s or 2x6s.

Ben Rivel
05-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Yes on paper, but harder to do in real life for the reasons Warren mentioned above. That said circular saws are cheap enough, even for a nicer one, so I just have both. Never have much of a need for a circular saw these days though. Between the track saw and a miter saw with stand I use those instead and like the results better.

Eric Schmid
05-28-2016, 1:28 PM
I have not had much luck without the track. Hard to see the line and difficult to control. Also pretty tough to cut curves with a track saw;).

In general it can do what a framing saw can, just a lot more accurately. That said, I don't have any more use for a framing saw in woodworking than I do a track saw for framing a house. There is some crossover and similarities, but they are designed for different uses.

Jared Sankovich
05-28-2016, 2:41 PM
They don't work well off the track.

Ken Kortge
05-28-2016, 6:56 PM
That is just one advantage of the EZ Smart Track Saw at Eurekazone.com. They use a standard circular saw to provide VERY accurate and clean cuts on all four corners of the cut kerf.

You add an EZ Smart Base to the circular saw. The base comes with three anti-chip inserts. One is for use on track with a right-cut blade saw (typical), one is for use on track with a left-cut blade saw, and one is for off track with either saw.

The base also comes with an anti-kickback fin that attaches to the base and makes kickbacks virtually impossible.

Please check out this Youtube video. It demonstrates what I'm talking about very well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJOUw-tZEDQ

Other videos from Eurekazone demonstrate their other simple but brilliant features. I started with the basic tracks and an EZ-Ready saw, then added other EZ tools over time. I recently upgraded and purchased a used EZ-ONE Workcenter and the Universal Edge Guide.

johnny means
06-02-2016, 8:05 PM
I use my TS in that manner. Due to the markings actually being accurate, I get better results than with a typical circular saw. The plunge action is a none issue. Not sure why it would be.

Peter Kelly
06-02-2016, 8:27 PM
That is just one advantage of the EZ Smart Track Saw at Eurekazone.com. They use a standard circular saw to provide VERY accurate and clean cuts on all four corners of the cut kerf. You add an EZ Smart Base to the circular saw. The base comes with three anti-chip inserts. One is for use on track with a right-cut blade saw (typical), one is for use on track with a left-cut blade saw, and one is for off track with either saw. The base also comes with an anti-kickback fin that attaches to the base and makes kickbacks virtually impossible. Please check out this Youtube video. It demonstrates what I'm talking about very well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJOUw-tZEDQ Other videos from Eurekazone demonstrate their other simple but brilliant features. I started with the basic tracks and an EZ-Ready saw, then added other EZ tools over time. I recently upgraded and purchased a used EZ-ONE Workcenter and the Universal Edge Guide.That didn't sound like a sales pitch at all..

Ken Kortge
06-02-2016, 8:57 PM
I have no financial connection to EZ Smart or Eurekazone. I work for a large automotive supplier for over 25 years.

I've told my story here before, but here it goes again. I liked working with wood. I finished off the interior of our horse barn - including a loft, four horse stalls, and a tack room. Most of my cross cutting was with a radial arm saw. I did some plywood cutting on that but didn't like it. I also hated the crazy attemps to cut plywood with my table saw. I didn't have room or money for a large table saw with surfaces sized for plywood. so it took two people (my patient wife and I) and always felt life-threatening and involved lots of burned edges. Instead I tried to use a circular saw to cut the plywood. I couldn't cut straight to save my life. So, I made one of those homemade straight edges made with two pieces of ply/hardboard. Shockingly the circular saw veered off the straight edge. Unfortunately the result was that saw getting flung across the garage floor (not proud of that moment). At that point I simply stopped any woodwork that involved plywood (OK, once I tried just using a hand saw) and relied only on using a jig saw with very poor results. In 2008 I read about the EZ Smart track saw system on an online woodworking supply store (Hartville? Hartman?? I can't remember the name). With wife's permission I got two lengths of track to allow 4' and 8' cuts, a saw pre-mounted with the Smart base, and clamps. Since then that track and saw have completely changed my woodworking life. Completely!! I now have no fear of cutting plwood. At some point I bought their right angle square cutting tool - awesome, and then their Super Smart Router Kit - I haven't used it as much as I thought I would, and now, as mentioned, last December I found someone nearby selling their lightly used EZ-ONE Workcenter (did I mention that I really have an understanding wife??) ... and then decided to give the Universal Edge Guide (UEG) a try (I'd been putting that off for fear of not using the track).

I am just a VERY happy customer who feels that my not-so-EZ money was well spent.

I know that there are EZ Smart haters in the woodworking forums. I never really understood why.

Tom Ewell
06-03-2016, 12:15 AM
The sight lines of my Festool TS is not as easy to 'read' as the typical circular saw so if you're used to free hand cutting with a typical circular saw then trying to do the same with a tracksaw will be more difficult. It can be done just takes some practice.

I still use both types of saws depending on the job.

Peter Kelly
06-03-2016, 2:17 PM
I know that there are EZ Smart haters in the woodworking forums. I never really understood why.The owner of the company hasn’t done himself any favors on any of the woodworking forums out there including this one.

I'd imagine that his antics have turned a lot of people off in the past.

Ronald Mancini
06-03-2016, 2:37 PM
I use my track saw as intended. I use a 5.25 inch battery operated circular saw for other requirements. Once in a great while I have to resort to my 7.5 inch 120V circular saw. Why complicate things by using a saw for a purpose it wasn't intended for unless it is the only saw you can afford.

Jim Dwight
06-03-2016, 7:04 PM
I've never tried using my track saw without the track. I have a corded and cordless circular saw so I see no need.

One reason circular saw's do not follow a straight edge well is the base is not necessarily parallel to the blade. If you fix that, you still have worse bearings and often no dust collection. But circular saws have their place. I used my cordless one last night to cut a 2x4 on the dock. Perfect tool for that job.

Mark Rice
06-04-2016, 1:35 AM
I have a Makita track saw. I use it to cut sheets or plywood or MDF. The only time I don't use the track is when I am cutting a straight edge on a piece of milled lumber (12' long). When I do that I use a long piece of 2" steel channel with 1/2" legs as a straight edge. The track saw has a plunge bed. The saw motor and blade return to the up position (spring loaded). To drop the blade to the set depth I have to push a button on the top of the handle to get it to plunge. The saw has to come to full speed before I plunge or it will probably kick back. If I pull the trigger on the motor and then let go and try to pull the trigger again the saw will not start back up until the blade has come to a complete stop. They kick back real hard when they get a little bound up. I also use my circular saw with the guard. The track saw cuts a little deeper than 2 inches and the circular saw doesn't cut quite that deep. I hope this helps.

Allan Speers
06-04-2016, 3:50 AM
That is just one advantage of the EZ Smart Track Saw at Eurekazone.com. They use a standard circular saw to provide VERY accurate and clean cuts on all four corners of the cut kerf.

You add an EZ Smart Base to the circular saw. The base comes with three anti-chip inserts. One is for use on track with a right-cut blade saw (typical), one is for use on track with a left-cut blade saw, and one is for off track with either saw.

The base also comes with an anti-kickback fin that attaches to the base and makes kickbacks virtually impossible.

Please check out this Youtube video. It demonstrates what I'm talking about very well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJOUw-tZEDQ

Other videos from Eurekazone demonstrate their other simple but brilliant features. I started with the basic tracks and an EZ-Ready saw, then added other EZ tools over time. I recently upgraded and purchased a used EZ-ONE Workcenter and the Universal Edge Guide.

I use virtually all the Eurekazone products, and recommend them. However, it should be noted that swapping inserts is somewhat similar to being subjected to medeival torture. You will NOT want to do it. Ever. It's a great system as long as you never try to use the saw off-track. (which requires swapping those bloody inserts.) Anyone who tells you otherwise simply hasn't done it.

Ken Kortge
06-04-2016, 10:45 AM
I use virtually all the Eurekazone products, and recommend them. However, it should be noted that swapping inserts is somewhat similar to being subjected to medeival torture. You will NOT want to do it. Ever. It's a great system as long as you never try to use the saw off-track. (which requires swapping those bloody inserts.) Anyone who tells you otherwise simply hasn't done it.

Can you be more specific about the problem you had with the EZ Smart inserts? I haven't had a problem with mine, but it is the Hitachi saw on an older EZ base - without the attachment points on the front/back. My used EZ-ONE Workcenter came with the Makita saw on the current base, but I haven't tried to swap out those inserts yet.

Mike Cutler
06-04-2016, 12:18 PM

Allan

Is this something to do with the newer style base?
I bought my EZ rails and base the first year, or so, they came out, and used to swap my Makita "screamer" from rail use , to free use, all the time. I had to make my own base for my Milwaukee Worm Drive, because they did not offer on at the time, so it didn't have the splitter.
I haven't used it in a few years, so maybe I'll see if I can find all of the parts and try it out.
Maybe I was using it wrong all along??

Allan Speers
06-04-2016, 12:38 PM
The problem is removing an insert so as to use the other type. I've had various EZ bases since around 2003, (including the newest moduni design) and they all have the same problem. The insert has no pull tab, and it locks in so tight that it requires insane effort to remove it. If yours comes out easily, then you must have a different design.